• 06-26-2004
    Chester
    Anyone else put lettuce in their helmet?
    Well, I finally traded in my 1993 Giro Hammerhead helmet for a cool 2002 Giro Eclipse.
    Much cooler and a more visable color for road riding also.

Anyway, my hair on top is not only fine, but also thinning.... That along with sweat making it thinner, can leave those many new larger holes in the new helmet letting in quite a bit of sun on a 5 hour ride...

Today after about a 90 minutes, I stopped into the local park restroom and grabbed a few hand towels......Basic restroom paper towel....beige recycled paper....
    So I placed one into the helmet and it seemed to do the job for the following 3 hours.
    Fits almost perfect.
    The free supply of this solution is unlimited as they refill the holders daily, but I was wondering if anyone has a better idea.
    I've heard that Handi-Wipes with their woven fabric breathe, but then again they cost a few bucks.
    I've seen those skullcaps in catalogs but they look hot?

What do ya think Cy Sperling uses?

How about on real hot days, if I fill the top of the helmet with cold iceberg lettuce..?
    It would solve 3 problems....

1. It would block the sun
    2. It would be cool both in temperature and in color
    3. You could snack on it when you get hungry or thristy

Has anyone done this? or possibly even red cabbage leaves.....way cool, huh?
  • 06-26-2004
    ssmike
    From a Steve Martin comedy LP - yes vinyl LP - from the late 70's.

Interviewer - Steve, how can you be so fucxin' funny?
    Steve - Well, I put a slice of bologna in each of my shoes so I feeeeel funny.

Does lettuce make you feeeeel good? Try bologna in your helmet.
  • 06-26-2004
    Trail Thumper
    Hmmm
    I tried liverwurst once. Didn't make me feel funny. :p

Bolagna in the shoes though, I have tried that and found it to be quite soothing to the corns. It's a handy snack when your back at the truck packing up after a ride to. :D
  • 06-26-2004
    DaFireMedic
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ssmike

Does lettuce make you feeeeel good? Try bologna in your helmet.

I thought Steve Martin used Tuna fish. Lasts for four or five days I think he said.
  • 06-26-2004
    endurowanker
    back in the old days of cycling people would slip cuts of meat into their shorts to cushion their arses... dead serious :eek:
  • 06-26-2004
    bulletbob
    Put a live chicken in your...
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ssmike

underwearrrrrrrrr, go into a closet and suck eggs!!!!!!!!!

I don't know how many times I listened to that album as a kid!
  • 06-27-2004
    Mike T.
    Also dead serious -------------
    Quote:

Originally Posted by endurowanker
    back in the old days of cycling people would slip cuts of meat into their shorts to cushion their arses... dead serious :eek:

They used to put cabbage leaves under their leather hairnet helmets. I guess they would be more robust (but heavier!) than lettuce leaves.
  • 06-27-2004
    Dave B
    tried it, but had to discontinue, as
    I kept getting attacked by rabbits on the trail!