Anybody have a pair of riding shoes that are worn out / not used anymore - size 13+?- Mtbr.com
    shining bright

Anybody have a pair of riding shoes that are worn out / not used anymore - size 13+?

I am thinking about getting into riding clipless, and I'm not sure if I will be able to do it. I have started several threads about it, and one about shoes as well. I don't think I'm going to be able to find a pair big enough at one of the few LBS's I have around me, and I may end up ordering.

I have a very bad lower leg injury on one of my legs and I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to pull it off or not. My right leg is the injured / scarred one in question. My ankle is fused solid and my foot points out slightly towards the right (away from the bike). In order to place my foot straight on the pedal my knee will turn in towards the frame. I will know within a few minutes of trying whether or not it will work or not.

I thought I would ask and see if anybody here has a pair they aren't using or are otherwise worn out, that they would be willing to send me to try. I'll cover shipping both ways, and return them back to you prompltly. I want to invest in a pair of shoes, but I'm not sure if I should, as I know how store's return policies are on shoes. In the event that I can't use them I am afraid I won't be able to return them.

I have SPD pedals and also have the cleats with them, in case you have a pair that are not set up for SPD. I live in the states - AL. If anyone is interested in helping, let me know. Thanks

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

What size?

48, 49, or 50? I have a pair of North Wave 50's just sitting in the garage. Brand new.

shining bright
    50 would be fine. I actually wear a 15 in most shoes, and a 14 in boots. Just as long as my feet fit in them they will give me a chance to try them and see if I will be able to make them work.

If you would be willing to let me try them I would sure appreciate it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    One thing that you might look into is getting a pedal with the most float. More float means that you can move your heal from left to right pivoting at the pedal. Since you have issues with the angle that your foot will be at in the pedal, more float make make it work. I'm not sure which pedals have the most float but I think SPD's are a fair starting point.

turtles make me hot
    Dude.. a 15?? I wear a 13 and I use a 50. It's got wiggle room, but I'm not sure if you're going to get a 50 on your foot.
    I like turtles

shining bright
    from what I could tell the sizes vary among manufacturers.
    It's hard to tell what might work.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I wear 15's all the time and I'm currently wearing a size 50 Specialized shoe. They seem to fit good, I wish they were a bit wider but they work.

You would be better to just buy some shoes. They actually do make a big difference. I just started using mine a few weeks ago and I wouldn't go back.

turtles make me hot
    Quote Originally Posted by cncwhiz
    from what I could tell the sizes vary among manufacturers.
    It's hard to tell what might work.
    That's true. I wear a 48 in Specialized and 50 in Shimano. I could probably go 49 in Shimano, but these do feel pretty good.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    If you can find a way of measuring the angle between the frame/crankarm and your desired foot position you can get a better idea if it will work or not.

I think crankbrothers eggbeater pedals are those with the most float (up to 20%). Float is the angle you need to twist before the clip snaps out, in case you did not know.

One more thing to consider if using large float. Since you have long feet you need to consider that your contact point with the pedal will most likely change. Most people with normal flats use the arch of the foot on the pedal, with clipless the contact point is the ball of the foot.
    With long feet the problem is that you might hit the crankarm with your heels sometime during the pedal stroke.
    You can check this by positioning your foot in the desired angle on your current pedals, then shift backwards until the ball of your foot is resting directly on top of the pedal axle. If you can do a stroke with power (do it on a ride, not a roll round the block) you should be clear on the heel part.

turtles make me hot
    I use Eggbeaters and my right foot always goes heel out. I try to train it straight because it ruins the cleat prematurely. I'm actually surprised it stays clipped in as good as it does.
    I like turtles

Members who have read this thread: 0