anybody ever use helmet cams for training?- Mtbr.com

Mar 2004

anybody ever use helmet cams for training?

Was just watching the grass hopper race from the helmet cam viewpoint. Anybody every use helmet cams as a method of training? Maybe getting somebody to ride behind you then analyze your form later? Thought it could be used as a good tool.
    Last edited by goat; 03-18-2009 at 11:33 AM.

ganginwood
    way back when ..when a friend of mine raced sport, he was so far ahead in the series that he mounted 2 cameras to his helmet for a race. old school type cameras. one pointing forward and one backward. he then wrote a script on the computer to run the heart rate, speed and cadence on the same screen for playback in real time.
    if you look at the top of the screen you can see the info. he taped the entire race. this guy who posted it is not the person who raced or recorded the info....but he did put it on you tube, at least the intro.
    the race was more interesting as he got into the single track. the idea itself was pretty funny.
    as you can see...you really don't get too much usefull info from it. its more for shits and giggles.
    i love the part at 1:36 when a spectator asks...."what's on your head?"....and dan replies "a helmet"
    <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/l6mD3Zdu64Q&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/l6mD3Zdu64Q&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Aswell
    the 5th poster, ganginwoods, is correct

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I have a camera for my helmet. What program was used to superimpose the HR, speed and altitude on the video? I love that. I've been looking for a while. TIA

ganginwood
    knowing the rider...i'm sure it was s script he wrote specifically to do that. it wasn't an over the counter product.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Aswell
    the 5th poster, ganginwoods, is correct

Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by OldMTBfreak
    I have a camera for my helmet. What program was used to superimpose the HR, speed and altitude on the video? I love that. I've been looking for a while. TIA
    Its funny you mention that, becasue right after I posted, I was thinking the exact same thing. It could kind of be like the windo mode in those race car vidio games, were it give the window view of the course, and then odomotor and other gadget reading on the side. Except it would be real. Also. there could be presperation rates, fluid intakes, fluid loss meters. etc. Am I getting ahead of myself here?

Mar 2004
    Just saw the vid. you posted ganginwood, that was great, and the rear view was awesome. Hope he did not spap any trees!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by goat
    Was just watching the grass hopper race from the helmet cam viewpoint. Anybody every use helmet cams as a method of training? Maybe getting somebody to ride behind you then analyze your form later? Thought it could be used as a good tool.
    Well, check this out...We will be adding more and more content and are current planning to add HD and GPS data to the mix this season for posting in the fall...You'll need to register to see the full length race content, but it's free so no harm in doing that.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=499693

Cheers,

Neil
    A bad day on the bike is better than a good day doing anything else...

http://www.apexracephotography.com

Members who have read this thread: 0