anybody else wear cheap shoes?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2009

anybody else wear cheap shoes?

i was in the market for a pair of 5 10's but the two spots i went to didn't have my size. just for the hell of it i went into payless shoes to look for a pair of cheap sneakers for biking. sure enough i found a pair of $25 skate shoes which work perfectly on my platform pedals. when times are tough you have to improvise. perfect color also with black. hides the dirt so well.

I Have Cookies
    yeah cheap skate shoes will work just be carefull as the sole might not be as sticky if you do wet weather riding. I used a pair of vans forever for skate park duty. Check Famous footware they might have some "cheap' Vans on clearance. The ones that they have @ payless are probably airwalks which were once actually good skate shoes that kinda went the way of mongoose and schwinn.....
    The most important thing is what God thinks about it. He will have the final say. Joshua Stinebrink

____
    Kimo

~Disc~Golf~
    cheap or inexpensive?
    Honestly... ahh I give up

mtbr member
    I also wear Sette Shoes. Had a for a few years now and suited me just fine. Of course these are clipless (not platform shoes), but I think there are many times where people seek names to wildly.

https://cn1.kaboodle.com/hi/img/2/0/...AAAAAGZxSA.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    expensive shoes are the best bike purchase i have ever made, nothing like a stiff sole and a good fit to put the power down, i say skimp elsewhere, but you probably ride differently than I do considering you run platforms

mtbr member
    I was wearing Chuck Taylors with no socks, for over a year. Obliviously not the greatest idea ive ever had but I hate my 661's. I think I might get some thin sole 5.10 Freeriders.

mtbr member
    I have Sette Enduro and Sette Excel. The Enduro are SPD and Platform ready. Very sticky on my Wellgo pedals. The Excel are SPD Ready, and treated me well for the time I road clipless.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

Big Gulps, Alright!
    I went through 4-5 pairs of shitty walmart skate shoes. Then I bought a pair of 5.10s and I'm never going back.
    Axle Standards Explained

Founder at North Atlantic Dirt, riding & writing about trails in the northeast.

yeah, uh............bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Berkley
    I went through 4-5 pairs of shitty walmart skate shoes. Then I bought a pair of 5.10s and I'm never going back.
    same here, 5.10's stick like nothing else, it's rather remarkable.

mtbr member
    I have been wearing the same pair of NW's for going on 4 years now, Off Road and Oh. I have my Road Bike set up with my Time Atacs. I just can't see spending Big of Money on a shoes.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by FloridaFish
    same here, 5.10's stick like nothing else, it's rather remarkable.
    i have my cheap payless sneakers and i've yet to slip off my pedals. i'm not saying that the 5.10's aren't great traction, but would the outside and inside last any longer than the cheapos i'm wearing? i got tired of looking around for the 5.10's so i like the temporary fix with the payless shoes. what's the point of paying $70 for sneakers if they are going to get torn up in no time?

yeah, uh............bikes
    actually, i was in scavenging cheap shoes from Sports Authority until I finally went for it and bought some 5.10's. The cheap shoes would stick like glue for about a month, then the soles would fall apart and I'd lose all the stickiness. The 5.10's have been great so far (5 months) and don't show any wear, no lose of rubber on the sole, no "holes, where the pins on my pedals are. worth it.

On wuss patrol
    Quote Originally Posted by highdelll
    cheap or inexpensive?
    Chris, how do you like the Sette shoes--fit, looks, durability? I have been looking at them and thinking about a pair since they have them in my size (US 13) and priced right.
    Sometimes, you need to go fast enough that the trail is a blur to find clarity. -- Wild Bill

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by Malibu412
    Chris, how do you like the Sette shoes--fit, looks, durability? I have been looking at them and thinking about a pair since they have them in my size (US 13) and priced right.
    I like them fine, they're a bit long looking, but the sizing is good (comparable to vans that I wear anyways)
    The aluminum studs suck - I suppose that's the case w/ any shoe tho. I worked around that by buying some stainless allen head bolts and some washers
    Other than that they seem pretty durable and stiff soled.

Next time I think I might opt for the ratchet-type closure though - who knows.
    Honestly... ahh I give up

since 4/10/2009
    I've always bought nicer shoes on sale/clearance from my LBS. My current pair have been going strong for 5yrs. Considering the life I'm getting out of them, I'd have no trouble paying retail for them these days. Spending a bit more on a pair that last a long time, thereby costing less in the long run just makes more sense to me.

El Pollo Diablo
    They don't make 510s big enough for me...
    so I rock skate shoes for all my riding.
    (correction, clipless on the road)
    Mostly vans, DC from time to time.
    Zero problems

mtbr member
    The plastic strap on my Specialized shoes broke, so I pulled out some $50 Pearl Izumi shoes that I bought a few years ago but only wore a couple of times. I'm pretty happy I had them around - I almost gave them away once or twice. They ended up being super comfortable and now I don't need to buy another pair of shoes.
    :wq

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Mine aren't cheap, $80. Compared to most mountain bike shoes they're cheap. The reason I can't wear pricey shoes because they are all too narrow. My entry-level Northwave's fit perfect.
    Vermonter - bikes, beers and skis.

mtbr member
    If $120 S-works are cheap, then yes.

And to some people that are. But I love the ones I'm riding right now, I've had them for over two years and they are freaking rugged!
    Feel free to check out my personal website, Greg Heil.com

too cold to ride
    Quote Originally Posted by bandsaw
    I was wearing Chuck Taylors with no socks, for over a year. Obliviously not the greatest idea ive ever had but I hate my 661's. I think I might get some thin sole 5.10 Freeriders.
    I'll bet the Chucks were nasty when you pried them off after a summer ride...
    Now go home and get your ******* shinebox.

I Have Cookies
    Quote Originally Posted by highdelll
    cheap or inexpensive?
    man those look rather....."plastic"

These are the shoes I use.
    https://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc...=9309&eid=4927
    I like them because they look like a regular shoe. I'm accually due for a new set soon, mine are 2 years old and showing their age!
    The most important thing is what God thinks about it. He will have the final say. Joshua Stinebrink

____
    Kimo

mtbr member

Answer Palisade

I found a pair of Answer Palisade SPD mtb shoes on clearance the other day, 27 bucks. So far I have no complaints, maybe a little cold in the snow the other day.

How do I do that?
    Quote Originally Posted by roc865
    i got tired of looking around for the 5.10's

I had the same problem but found out about Zappos carrying 5.10's. There price isn't the best but they offer free shipping for purchases as well as returns. I wound up ordering 2 sizes of the Sam Hill 2's and returned the one that didn't fit as well.

Buying shoes through the web is a bit silly but Zappos worked for me.

What I really like about the bulkier 5.10's are the protection they offer my toes and feet when I accidently smack them into rocks and such, I don't feel a thing.

Members who have read this thread: 0