Any long term reviews on 5.10 Kestrel Lace?- Mtbr.com
    b a n n e d

Any long term reviews on 5.10 Kestrel Lace?

I'm in need of new shoes and have historically ridden ultra rigid CF-soled, XC race shoes . . . pretty much everywhere. But I just don't care that much any more and aside from a nice rigid sole, I'm leaning more towards comfort. I know the Boa enclosures on the Kestrels have a habit of self-grenading but how are the lace versions holding up? Still having probs with delaminating rubber?
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member
    I have about 300mi on mine and no issues at all, also have 3 enduro races, some hiking!
    use them with mallet e and I have a very good contact pedal/shoes!

I you want boa I'd look at the spec cliplite, but I have nothing bad to say about the kestrel lace

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    No issues on mine, they've held up quite well. Really comfortable, decent traction when you have to hike something, all around the best MTB shoe I've owned thus far. I'd expect to get a couple seasons out of them, though I run clipless on DH4s so I don't have any pins shredding the soles.

mtbr member
    I have Kestrels with Boas and first the plastic cleat plate pulled out from under the rubber sole at the toe. I glued that down and then the soles completely shredded from the pins when not clipped in. I glued the shreds back together with Aqua Seal. This was with less than 100 hrs of riding. My next shoes will be something different.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by mfa81 View Post
    use them with mallet e and I have a very good contact pedal/shoes!
    Any issues with the sole getting in the way of the pedal/pins when clipping out? What position are running the clips (i.e middle front, etc)? thanks

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by quagmireDan View Post
    Any issues with the sole getting in the way of the pedal/pins when clipping out? What position are running the clips (i.e middle front, etc)? thanks
    Having this issue as well. Maybe it is by foot size, but trying to unclip from Mallet E LS with the Kestrel lace is frustrating. I have the pins wound in and the spacer under the cleat too (which sucks since the cleat now hits the ground when walking).

I'm thinking it's my cleat position and foot size. Large feet and I like to run the cleats towards the back of the slots.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by TX_CLG View Post
    Having this issue as well. Maybe it is by foot size, but trying to unclip from Mallet E LS with the Kestrel lace is frustrating. I have the pins wound in and the spacer under the cleat too (which sucks since the cleat now hits the ground when walking).

I'm thinking it's my cleat position and foot size. Large feet and I like to run the cleats towards the back of the slots.
    I've since gone back to SPDs (still using kesteral lace) and life is so much better. Zero problems clipping out. Love the shoes with SPDs. Not sure if it was the pedal shoe combo or just the pedals but I know it wasn't my technique. Mallets have been sold.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Thanks! I'm about to list my mallets as well but do have 1 other shoe I can try before doing so. Also have a pair of SPDs to go back to.

mtbr member
    I don't have any issues clipping in/out, but I did have to use the spacer that came with the cleats when installing them in the shoes. The cleat will hit the ground from time to time when hiking/walking

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Does anyone here have problems with the cleat moving sideways while riding? I've had mine just under a year. The sole has been falling apart but the cleat part was working well until last week. For reference after a ride my cleats are toed in instead of straight. I have the screws pretty tight, close to stripping.

I have a race next week so if I need new shoes now is the time.