Any helmet recommendations? r- Mtbr.com
    you go ahead
    Feb 2005

New question here. Any helmet recommendations? r

I've decided that it's time to get rid of my old helmet. I got it for almost no $$, so I didn't expect comfort or durbility - in other word's no complains to trek (company that made my helmet...)

but now I'm looking for a new lid. One that will not fall to peices when dropped from waist height (like my old one..) and will provide superior comfort and protection.

I have ~ $70 of spending money, but my parents will be willing to throw in some cash for a helmet (obviously ). I also have a big head with lots of [long] hair. So, those helmets that make you feel like you're wearing a pan strapped onto your head are not an option. For this reason, I've been eyeing the Giro Semi (inexpensive too).

The problem is that I'm an xcer and I enjoy climbing more than anything.... so I don't want to boil inside my helmet this summer...

Anybody have any suggestions?

thanks for any help,
    rustyb

Psalm 29:11
    Feb 2004

Helmet Suggestion

Quote Originally Posted by RustyBearings
    I've decided that it's time to get rid of my old helmet. I got it for almost no $$, so I didn't expect comfort or durbility - in other word's no complains to trek (company that made my helmet...)

but now I'm looking for a new lid. One that will not fall to peices when dropped from waist height (like my old one..) and will provide superior comfort and protection.

I have ~ $70 of spending money, but my parents will be willing to throw in some cash for a helmet (obviously ). I also have a big head with lots of [long] hair. So, those helmets that make you feel like you're wearing a pan strapped onto your head are not an option. For this reason, I've been eyeing the Giro Semi (inexpensive too).

The problem is that I'm an xcer and I enjoy climbing more than anything.... so I don't want to boil inside my helmet this summer...

thanks for any help,
    rustyb
    I just bought a new Serfas Vault. I'd never even heard of Serfas helmets before I saw them at my LBS. I've been really impressed with it. It's noticably lighter than my Giro Gila, flows way more air onto my sweaty scalp, and fits way better. It's got an adjustment system that allows for one-handed adjustments while ridding. My Giro used to move all over my head, no matter how tight I adjusted it. The Serfas stays where I put it. And the price was under your $70 threshhold.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

thanks for any help,
    rustyb
    My advice would be to take yourself down a few LBSs and try the lids on for fit. Take a day or two, find the best one in your budget and buy that. Fit can be the difference between a headache and a concussion... or your helmet coming off in the crash and a depressed skull fracture.

Every helmet I have ever worn was fit tested before I bought it. I would never buy a lid sight unseen. My second helmet pretty much saved me from a rough existence...

And don't forget to look into the crash replacement programs I hear some manufacturers have.
    If you're ever in Calgary, here are the bike shops I like:
    Single Track Cycle
    The Bike Shop
    Calgary Cycle

you go ahead
    Feb 2005
    I've been reading through the reviews section of mtbr, and found the Bell Metro.

Just wondering if this is a good buy. Looks like it has fewer vents like the Semi. It's a little more of an xc helmet though...while the Semi has the appearance of a skater's helmet.

thanks for the response, wa2be
    rustyb

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Agreed. Try a bunch on and pick the one that fits the best.

As far as cooling/vents go, with long hair vents make very little difference. Speaking from experience, the best way to make any helmet cooler is to get a crew cut.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

rustyb
    I would get the Giro Xen..that helmet rocks. It's very comfortable and provide lots of head protection. Looks great too!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dopechess
    I would get the Giro Xen..that helmet rocks. It's very comfortable and provide lots of head protection. Looks great too!
    I second the Giro Xen. VERY comfortable for long rides. Before you buy anything, try it on at the LBS. Just because the Xen has great reviews, doesn't mean you will like it.

Shreddin the Cul de Sac
    Helmets and shoes are two items I will not buy mail order cause I want to spend a lot of time and make sure the fit is right.

I just bought a previous model year Giro E2 at my LBS. $129 marked down to $75. Very comfy, the roc-loc "rocs", and it's got this cool quick release thing for the visor in to break away in a crash or to take it off for the road. It's white, not my first choice, but I that's a great price. Better than I was able to find most anywhere.

Oh ya, I also bought my wife a Giro Encinal. Also a real nice helmet. Looks good, fits good. Lots of vents. Good feature trickle down from other Giro helmets. Good price too. $45 retail.

http://www.giro.com/main.html
    keep moving

mtbr member

thanks for any help,
    rustyb

I have the semi mx and I love it! I am also more of an XCer and I could not be happier with this helmet. It is light, fairly cool, and looks better than an average mtn helmet (IMHO).

you go ahead
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    Agreed. Try a bunch on and pick the one that fits the best.

As far as cooling/vents go, with long hair vents make very little difference. Speaking from experience, the best way to make any helmet cooler is to get a crew cut.
    that's pretty funny because yesterday I shaved my head. Socially suicidal but we have to keep our priorities straight now, dont't we

Supergo has the Giro Xen for $90. I would look like such a insanely spoiled kid with a $159 helmlet, a Camelback, and a 1.200 (MSRP) bike oh well...

Anyway, I'll definitely go to my LBS and try on some lids before any purchase. Thanks for all the input. It's really appreciated...

rustyb

Jul 2004
    For this reason, I've been eyeing the Giro Semi (inexpensive too).

thanks for any help,
    rustyb
    I rode today for the first time with my new Giro Semi MX flat gray. I love how the helmet fits my head and I also think it looks good too, I do however have concerns with how hot it may get. It was mid 60's here today and it was perfect. The problem is during the summer in this area it's hot and humid. I'll most likely get a different one for the summer. This is the one I'm thinking about... SIXSIXONE ALL RIDE

iBike
    I just bought the Bell Influx, that was the helmet that fit me the best of the helmets i tried in any price range. It's a good helmet.
    Check it out

Viktor

Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by iMan
    I just bought the Bell Influx, ...

Viktor
    I just picked up an Influx too. Very nice helmet at a good price. Lotsa vents, very comfortable.

you go ahead
    Feb 2005
    I think I will go with the Xen if I find an '04 for ~ $70. Don't know if I will, though. So far I've found it for $90 at Performance, so I might have to go with that.

I tried it at my LBS and it is like a dream . Fits my head like a glove, and I can adjust it to be nice and secure. I recommend it to anyone looking for a great trail or xc helmet,

Anyway, I will try for that. Thanks a lot for the feedback - it's much appreciated.

rustyb