Any deals on helmets?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Any deals on helmets?

Looking for a decent MTB helmet. Would like to spend maybe $40-$50. I don't mind closeouts or last years models, although would prefer something with no crazy colors. Anyone come across anything while they've been surfing which caught their eye?

Out there
    Aug 2006
    watch

http://steepandcheap.com

They have a bell Giro that goes on sale pretty regularly for $50. I got mine there.

You can subscribe to email alerts on steepandcheap by going to

http://www.sacattack.com/
    All problems in mountain biking can be solved by going faster, except the ones that are caused by going too fast.

I can't weld
    Actually its a Bell X-ray on SAC.

Does anybody actually wear Bell helmets? There's an X-ray, which I believe is their top MTB helmet, on JensonUSA right now for $65, regularly $99. But they also have a Giro E2 for $71 which I believe is a far superior fitting helmet and a great deal to boot.

Most importantly, you have to try them on. To me, Bell helmets feel like there are steel spikes going into my head at the only 3 points that actually make contact. Giro's on the other hand cradle my head like a helmet should.

The weird thing is, They're The Same Company!!

Out there
    Aug 2006
    Yeah, sorry, Bell X-Ray. It's a great helmet. I wear it.
    All problems in mountain biking can be solved by going faster, except the ones that are caused by going too fast.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    thanks guys. I registered on sacattack.com

Does just signing up there send me the email updates? Or is there some subscription I also need to sign up for.

Is SAC simiar to Woot, where they sell various stuff and in limited quantities? And once they sell out, they're gone?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    SAC does deals all day, and puts up an item as soon as the previous has been sold out, sometimes even before it has sold out if it looks like no one is interested. In that fashion, some items may be up there for a whopping 120 seconds (Arc'teryx men's gear) and some items may be up there 6 hours (women's outer layer the other day...). It's good to just check it every so often, and sacattack.com for actual numbers. They also tend to feature the Serfas Furano saddle for 35 and Fox apparel every now and then.

I can't weld
    There's been a lot of Oakley baggie shorts on there this year too, but I think the inventory has dwindled. They sell some nice sixsixone gloves and some shoe/pedal combos, too. Hydration packs and jerseys are also common.
    They used to be like Woot where they would sell one item per day and if it sold out at 2am, that was it until the next night. Then one day last August they went into "SAC On Crack" mode and made it a 24hr-a-day affair. I was watching closely while on vacation when that happened and people in the forums were really freaking out. 20-30 different items per day, often the website would suddenly crash. It was fun.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    i like the x ray better than the e2
    don't sweat the petty things, and pet the sweaty things

mtbr member
    I wear the x-ray.
    best fitting, most comfortable helmet I've ever used.
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2019 Scott Foil 10 Disc
    2019 Norco Search XR Steel
    2017 Trek Farley 9.6

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I was deciding between E2 and X-ray 2 months ago and went for the x-ray for cheaper price (w/Performance 20% off and free shipping at that time came in $58). E2 feels lighter and slimmer profile than x-ray's . The only complain on X-ray: the oversized visor is really too big.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

I also like my X-ray from preformance.

I got mine when they had the $20 off $50 plus free shipping from performance. It was on clearance for $59.99 , so it came to $39.99 shipped. Some of the cheaper Bell helmets also seem nice. me thinks Bell gives you the most Helmet for your $. Some people only find certain brands work for there head so try it on before you buy.

By the way I like the visor on the x-ray. The previous helmet I had the visor got in the way so I removed it, but on the x-ray it seems perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBull
    I was deciding between E2 and X-ray 2 months ago and went for the x-ray for cheaper price (w/Performance 20% off and free shipping at that time came in $58). E2 feels lighter and slimmer profile than x-ray's . The only complain on X-ray: the oversized visor is really too big.
    Last edited by texas; 02-20-2007 at 05:06 PM.
    TEX

Was that a Bobcat?
    Check out Beyond Bikes hot deals section in the website... I saw a bunch of helmets on sale over there. Just FYI

Friendly Neighborhood MTBer

Helmet sale plus free shipping

Nashbar has a helmet sale plus free shipping going on right now.
    Some of the deals:
    06 Giro Animas $50
    06 Giro E2 $50
    06 Giro Xen $70
    06 Bell Sweep XC $75
    Mostly for smaller heads though.

mtbr member
    jensonusa has 06' e2's for 70..just ordered one
    Abington Wheel Wright Freeride Crew

2011 Trek Session 8

2012 Trek Remedy 9

2012 Niner MCR 9

SND. CPS.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I'm a full-face guy, so here's my suggestion...

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...+Helmet06.aspx

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    hey guys, anyone know how often the Benn XRAY comes up on SAC? I've been on the email list since I found out about it and they're sure going thru a lot of stuff. Just wondering how long I'll have to wait for the deal to come around again? Few days? Weeks?

Thanks!
    Aaron

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by amheck
    hey guys, anyone know how often the Benn XRAY comes up on SAC? I've been on the email list since I found out about it and they're sure going thru a lot of stuff. Just wondering how long I'll have to wait for the deal to come around again? Few days? Weeks?

Thanks!
    Aaron
    No worth waiting, SAC deal won't last long and might not ever come up any more (I missed a Zoic baggie short and never seen it again). Nashbar's Animas is the best bid (S & M size). It was my top choice before I picked up X-ray, I would actually prefer the Animas if they have the same price (by the fitting experience in shop), mid profile with great fit and retention system.

I'm SUCH a square....
    Quote Originally Posted by Indiefab
    Actually its a Bell X-ray on SAC.

Does anybody actually wear Bell helmets? There's an X-ray, which I believe is their top MTB helmet, on JensonUSA right now for $65, regularly $99. But they also have a Giro E2 for $71 which I believe is a far superior fitting helmet and a great deal to boot.

Most importantly, you have to try them on. To me, Bell helmets feel like there are steel spikes going into my head at the only 3 points that actually make contact. Giro's on the other hand cradle my head like a helmet should.

The weird thing is, They're The Same Company!!
    trek, fisher, and klein are all the same company, too -- are they interchangeable as far as ride goes? so it's not so weird.

it comes down to this: different people have different-shaped heads -- some fit better with bell, some with giro, others with 661 or specialized or trek -- that's why there are so many brands and style out there.

i have a 3-year-old bell influx; the only problem it has is the locking clip on the right strap is broken. i have a new bell slant to take its place. neither of them cost over $40.
    A bike is the only drug with no bad side effects....

Aug 2005

Members who have read this thread: 0