Another Yay For Bike Helmets- Mtbr.com
    Rolling

Another Yay For Bike Helmets

Or who is having a good sale on new helmets?

Today: My first accident of the year on my second commute of the year. I rounded a corner, hit some black ice and went down hard--hitting my head on a two-foot high rock wall. Luckly my helmet took the trauma cuz it would have been a doosy otherwise.

This, after almost getting hit by a car on my first commute of the year, yesterday. What a weird start.

Quote Originally Posted by lidarman
    This, after almost getting hit by a car on my first commute of the year, yesterday. What a weird start.
    It's a lucky start! you've avoided 2 of 2 so far. You have a perfect record. Good karma.
    semper ad excelsum

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Some helmets have a replacement policy where if you damage yours you can get a discount on the new one. Something you might want to check out.

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by stripes
    Specialized is 20%, and Bell is 30%. Not sure about the others. Those two fit my head
    Usually it's cheaper and takes less time to just buy a sale bike helmet than cash in on the C.R.

yeah, uh............bikes
    Yay for helmets

did this on saturday, took a header into some Melaleuka trees (soft papery bark). The damage is from a "glancing" blow, I then pinballed into a head on collision to finally stop.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Rides with Scissors
    Quote Originally Posted by stripes
    Specialized is 20%, and Bell is 30%. Not sure about the others. Those two fit my head
    30% of cost, or 30% off? Asking because when Bell replaced a helmet I cracked it was $35 to replace the $125 helmet (~30% of the retail cost). Took just a week from the day I mailed the old one to them to when I received the replacement. I was impressed!
    Some days you're the dog, some days you're the hydrant.

Dented n' Spent
    Wait wait wait... do I have this right? FloridaFish and Lidarman both have the same helmet and both took serious head-smacking diggers within days apart? Whoever's # 3, I think you might consier just getting it over with: put your helmet on and bash your head into the pavement in a nice and controlled non-face-smashing manner. Just to be safe. ;-)
    Last edited by endohappy; 01-25-2007 at 05:47 PM.
    What kind of bike?​ I don'​t know,​ I'm not a bike scien​tist.

JmZ
    Reformed Lurker
    Quote Originally Posted by deanna
    30% of cost, or 30% off? Asking because when Bell replaced a helmet I cracked it was $35 to replace the $125 helmet (~30% of the retail cost). Took just a week from the day I mailed the old one to them to when I received the replacement. I was impressed!
    When I had reason to replace mine recently... Bell told me it was 30% off retail of a new helmet.

It was cheaper to get a clearance helmet at Nashbar than take advantage of the crash replacement.

JmZ
    JmZ

From one flat land to another.

Advocate as if your ride depends on it...

wg
    Fermented Grain Sampler
    1) Glad you're OK
    2) The impt question....Is the bike OK?
    Don't harsh my mello

~I Ride In Circles ~
    Glad you're ok!
    ~ it's all good ~

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by wg
    1) Glad you're OK
    2) The impt question....Is the bike OK?
    LOL...

The bike did a typical front end spin...all control cables survived the incident.

The bike light suffered some dingage though.

beer thief
    Jeeze Rich, be careful out there. They say the third time's a charm, whatever that means...

mtbr member
    LOL I picked up on that also. Not sure if this means those helmets are good or bad luck (they saved the owners noggins, but maybe there's bad mojo about them which attracts accidents) I'd be a little weary if I owned one though
    Glad to hear you're OK lidarman, commuting is a dangerous business.

Quote Originally Posted by endohappy
    Wait wait wait... do I have this right? FloridaFish and Lidarman both have the same helmet and both took serious head-smacking diggers within days apart? Whoever's # 3, I think you might consier just getting it over with: put your helmet on and bash your head into the pavement in a nice and controlled non-face-smashing manner. Just to be safe. ;-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

mtbr member
    whats giros replacement discount?

Currently in Exile
    Quote Originally Posted by snowdenn
    whats giros replacement discount?
    It was a 30% discount when I busted my eclipse last summer.
    "There are those who would say there's something pathological about the need to ride, and they're probably on to something. I'd wager though that most of the society-approved compulsions leave deeper scars in the psyche than a need to go and ride a bicycle on a mountain." Cam McRea

Rides with Scissors
    Quote Originally Posted by JmZ
    When I had reason to replace mine recently... Bell told me it was 30% off retail of a new helmet.

It was cheaper to get a clearance helmet at Nashbar than take advantage of the crash replacement.

JmZ
    They must have changed it then. My accident was a few years ago and I've tried to avoid landing on my head since then...
    Some days you're the dog, some days you're the hydrant.

Members who have read this thread: 0