another thread about helmets- Mtbr.com
    a'buh?

another thread about helmets

sorry, but i have a question. I just broke the XC helmet that I was using for pretty much everything, and need new helmet(s). My parents want me to get a full face to protect the recently taken-off braces work (retainers suck more than braces ) I plan on getting the Full Bravo 2. But my question is on the other helmet. I was thinking either just a cheap XC helmet, a cheap Xen (if I can find one on clearance or something) or a light skate-lid style helmet like the 661 Mullet.

So-to the question-do you think that a cheap XC helmet will protect well enough for lighter FR/DJ? Will the Mullet be airy enough to use on occasional XC rides? Is there any place that there's a Xen on clearance ?(preferably not used, it's a little weird to think of someone else's head being in your helmet)

thnx a bunch, sorry for the long post
    "Don't just huck yourself: be skilled, be trained, be ready, be prepared, then give 'er." -Dylan Tremblay

J_B

Mar 2004
    Try Supergo.com or performancebike.com for the Xen. I saw them on sale.

I too have braces and I only wear a full face helmet(TLD D2) for FR or DH. I am glad that I do wear it as I have taken a few hard hits to the face and thankfully I and the helmet have survived. I wear a Giro E2 for XC and occasionally wear it for the times I have to climb(2.5 miles) the DH bike.

VIA

Feb 2004

SamIAm

E2 rocks

i have an E2 for my everything helmet. it rocks. stays on your head like mad. love it super much. got mine for 90 when i bought my bike.
    <(*-*<) Go Ride (>*-*)>

BJ-

Jan 2004
    um...i wouldnt risk it...i dont like to ride anywhwere without my D2 or my shinnies for that matter...i just dont like the thought of smashing my face up or scaring my legs anymore than they allready are...

i have stacked a 6ft drop to flat on my head just wearing a beanie before and allthough i walked away fine without even a headache...i now allways wear my helmet just incase even when im screwing around so cant hurt myself...

same goes for all my buddies...but the full bravo is a great helmet thats very light...well ventilated and comfy to wear...nice choice...

keeping that in mind...a giro semi MX would be ur best bet (shouldnt be more than 60 bucks in the US)...ventilated and light enough for XC but strong enough for DJ and light (i emphasise the light word) freeride...

if you could buy them in aus then i would get one for mucking around but they dont comply with aus saefty regualtions for some stupid reason...

a'buh?
    thnx a bunch for the advice everyone. I ended up just getting the mullet for now (it was only like 15$) because I couldn't afford to deliberate on the subject any longer, seeing as my only decent helmet was all smashed to heII in the back, and I just had to wear that. I figure I'll just use that for now, and then maybe get a full face in a couple of months. (my parents said that was alright)
    "Don't just huck yourself: be skilled, be trained, be ready, be prepared, then give 'er." -Dylan Tremblay

BJ-

Jan 2004
    well thats what were here for...