Another Helmet a VS Helmet b thread- Mtbr.com
    When in doubt, go faster

Another Helmet a VS Helmet b thread

sorry I just cant help but ask your professional opinion (ha, as if). Its time for me to get a new helmet, mine just doesn't fit right anymore. I've narrowed it down to the Azonic Fury Specialized Deviant after alot of searching and debating (mostly with myself and Harris hahaha and Todd). I like the fury for its looks, price and strength (or what I have heard its strength is), but it seems to be kinda heavy/not so well ventilated, and there is alot of pedaling around here. The Deviant i like the looks and lightness/ventilation, but have read some not so confidence installing (damn that's a good phrase) things about its strength. I can get a really good deal on the deviant, so I'm wondering what some of yours experiences are with both.

Oh and does anyone have any pics of either in use?

thanks,
    D

N* Bomber Crew
    I only have experience with the Specialized Deviant.

The Goods: The Helmet Breathes like a pro, you stay cool so well. You can wear the helmet for almost anything, but its great if you want a full face for some more agressive trails, or some lighter DH. The Helmet adjusts to fit a lot of different dome sizes, just make sure you get yourself the right size. Also, the helmet is built with a lot of high quality, has a lot of nice details and is pretty durable. Helmet is also wicked light.

The Bads: A lot of people have questioned its durability and crash impact. I'm not really worried about that with the stuff I ride with it, but I recently got a 661 Flight which has DOT/SNELL approval for when I step up my riding (Racing and Northstar). It's certified to the same standards as the Fury or the TLD D2 series, so technically its supposed to be the same, but you're only as safe as you feel with it on.

Since I know you will be riding Northstar, and probably dodging meth heads in Fort Bragg I think a Deviant should be okay. I think the only safer thing you could get over a Deviant would be a Dot or Snell approved helmet. The Deviant might be nice to have at Northstar for the sake of good ventilation.

If you got questions about the Deviant ask away.

Full Review and Photos by me here: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=143317
    Northstar 2008 Riding Crew

When in doubt, go faster
    Thanks Raptordude, anyone else?

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I haven't used the deviant, but a bunch of the guys I ride with have them and really like them. They're using them for all-mountain type riding and rarely have to take them off for the climbs, just taking out the cheek pads to keep it cooler.

I just got a THE Industries One composite with the soft-touch, and it is really solid, but pretty warm for climbing. Much warmer than the Deviant. However, it took it's first hit when I slammed my head from about 6 feet up onto dirt. My neck hurts, but not a mark on the helmet. It's solid.
    http://www.bioniconusa.com - Bionicon USA
    http://otbmbc.com - Over the Bars MTB Club
    http://corbamtb.com - CORBA

Oh, So Interesting!
    I just got a Deviant, and smacked my head a couple times already. One was while riding... a tree reached down and smacked me on the top of my head. [email protected] trees... I have to say it distributed the force really well, I'm very happy with it. I think with ff bike helmets its a function of fit because none of them have that much padding. My Bellistic is amost exactly the same as the Deviant, its just is way hotter and doesn't fit me as well.

As far as classification, I have heard there is a new DH/BMX standard that is more stringent than current bicycle standards. I think the new Giro Remedy, Fox Rampage and some others might be built to that new standard.

I also made some new cheek pads for the Deviant out of 1/4" thick foam rubber sheet covered in a piece of an old coolmax t-shirt. Its a great mod for trailriding and keeps the helmet really cool.

moaaar shimz
    Yep, its been like 1 year and a half of this new standard. Its called ASTM F1952 and its for Downhill Specific bicycle helmets..

My Fox Rampage says inside:

Meets or exceeds the following Helmet Safely Standards: ASTM F-1952, CE:EN 1078, AS/NZS 2063, US CPSC

N* Bomber Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by Kanga
    I haven't used the deviant, but a bunch of the guys I ride with have them and really like them. They're using them for all-mountain type riding and rarely have to take them off for the climbs, just taking out the cheek pads to keep it cooler.

I just got a THE Industries One composite with the soft-touch, and it is really solid, but pretty warm for climbing. Much warmer than the Deviant. However, it took it's first hit when I slammed my head from about 6 feet up onto dirt. My neck hurts, but not a mark on the helmet. It's solid.

Thats a really dope helmet! Glad to see THE is still kicking it.

Shop *****
    I got the Azonic Fury from Pricepoint a few months ago. You're right, it doesn't breathe unless you take out the majority of the padding. On the plus side, there's MORE THAN AMPLE Padding in case you crash, you can't even freakin feel it. It's hard as a freaking rock too. If you're concerned about heat, just throw on a bandana, or cloth and ride. It keeps you cool, because the sweat gets cold when going through the wind, and yeah. After a few hours though, its probably nice to take it off and rest a little... I got it in White, and I got a medium. Perfect fit for me.. I dont really have any ACTION shots but I have me + my bike with it on... I look like a retard...

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Raptordude
    Yeah, after that first big hit with the helmet (I've only had it a month), I was pretty stoked. Hot or not, it's solid protection. I can take out the cheek pads to keep it a bit cooler, but it does flop around a bit without them in, so I'm probably better off strapping it on the pack for the climbs. I tried the carbon, but the weight difference wasn't significant enough to warrant the extra $$$. They were at Sea Otter and their F14 is a pretty sweet non FF lid as well.
    http://www.bioniconusa.com - Bionicon USA
    http://otbmbc.com - Over the Bars MTB Club
    http://corbamtb.com - CORBA

When in doubt, go faster
    Well, I think I'm going with the deviant.

Oh, So Interesting!
    Good News:

In addition to the CPSC standard, many Specialized models are certified to Snell's older B-90 bicycle helmet standard, and the Deviant and Deviant carbon to the B-95 standard, slightly tougher than CPSC. Specialized is the last major US bike helmet maker to use Snell certification. They have also now certified the Deviant and Deviant Carbon to the ASTM downhill mountain biking standard, F1952.

That should settle some of the $hit talk...

Jun 2005
    i'm running a sixsixone strike, which is the same as a azonic fury. good is that it fits my roundish head well, and it gives really good security, ie. it doesn't move around. sadly though, the ventilation really isn't that great. it is very, very cheap though, so it's definetly a good buy.

N* Bomber Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by davec113
    Good News:

In addition to the CPSC standard, many Specialized models are certified to Snell's older B-90 bicycle helmet standard, and the Deviant and Deviant carbon to the B-95 standard, slightly tougher than CPSC. Specialized is the last major US bike helmet maker to use Snell certification. They have also now certified the Deviant and Deviant Carbon to the ASTM downhill mountain biking standard, F1952.

That should settle some of the $hit talk...
    Well, now I can't think of a con about the Deviant after seeing that they're now certified to the DH standard.

moaaar shimz
    Well, now I can't think of a con about the Deviant after seeing that they're now certified to the DH standard.
    Price? Brand loyalty? Personal Fit?

Many variables

When in doubt, go faster
    Well 100 bucks i dont think is so bad for it. Brand loyalty? HAHAHA! Thats a good one cause I in general hate specialized lol. Personal fit, well I already tryed one on and it fits purdy good.

moaaar shimz
    I've tried MANY helmets and I will stay with my Fox Rampage..

N* Bomber Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by tacubaya
    Price? Brand loyalty? Personal Fit?

Many variables
    You raise some issues...

Price: I paid ful retail for mine which is I think $130, I think thats pretty reasonable for what you get. Specialized really made a high quality helmet with a lot of good details. I think the $130 is worth what you get.

Brand Loyalty: No idea, but I can see why people want to stick with certain brands, especially if they saved your dome in a gnarly crash.

Fit: The Deviant has a lot of adjustments to fit a wide variety of domes, but only the end user can ultimatley decide which fits best and not.

Lots of good issues raised, but I think the biggest complaint about the Deviant (Crash Impact) has been addressed very well.

mtbr member

I just crushed on my THE composite...

I hit the ground 4 times on my head, and broke my collarbone.
    I've got today the Carbon model on a crash replacement deal.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Members who have read this thread: 0