Another Fall and looking for FF Helmet Now- Mtbr.com

Jan 2005

Another Fall and looking for FF Helmet Now

Hello,

Its been a while since I've posted anything, but I need a little advice. I was mtb'ing with a group last weekend and riding one of the glorious trails in Pisgah. Don't ask me which one it was, but it was a nice Tsali-like downhill that apparently suddenly ended with some crazy little hill with no forewarning. The guy in front of me flew off one way and broke his elbow and I flew off the other way and sorta shattered my face. I was wearing a helmet of course but most of my damage seems to be from my nose down. Lost conciousness for 20-30 hours, had convulsions, was bleeding from nose and ears, blah, blah. Who knows. Don't remember and let's just say that whatever hospital I ended up wasn't exactly cutting edge (Asheville?).

Thing is once my balance returns, I can't wait to get back on my bike again. I know my accident was sorta a fluke. I am such a safe rider, but I am always getting hurt. Ha! I was riding with pads and helmet and had to bash in the one part of my body not protected. I think I want a FF helmet now. I am just a XC rider, but can't imagine going through another week like this past one again. What do you guys think? I was sorta looking at the Giro MadMax II. Anyone had any experience with this helmet? I guess I am fully prepared to be a female geek in Fl riding XC with a FF helmet.

mtbr member
    Wow! Glad you'll be alright!

Can't blame you for wanting a full face after all of that.

I've had 2 Bell Rhythm Pro's which seem nearly identical to the Mad Max II. Like most full face helmets, they can get hot in hot weather, but protect well. I went with a full moto helmet for racing DH - but for XC oriented rides, I'd say the Mad Max or similar would be plenty of protection. Primary factor, obviously, is fit. See if you can try a couple on and find out which brand/model works best on your head.

Jan 2005

Will do but carbon or not?

Quote Originally Posted by connie
    Wow! Glad you'll be alright!

Can't blame you for wanting a full face after all of that.

I've had 2 Bell Rhythm Pro's which seem nearly identical to the Mad Max II. Like most full face helmets, they can get hot in hot weather, but protect well. I went with a full moto helmet for racing DH - but for XC oriented rides, I'd say the Mad Max or similar would be plenty of protection. Primary factor, obviously, is fit. See if you can try a couple on and find out which brand/model works best on your head.
    Thanks, Connie. I'll definitely shop around and see even if the bike shops around me carry FF helmets to try some on. Is it worth it spending a little more and getting carbon for the slight weight reduction or will I be worried then that I have a "one hit and your helmet is trashed" helmet?

mtbr member since 1997
    OW! Sorry to hear about your crash. Hope you heal up fast.

LIke Connie said, pretty much all the FF helmets will do the trick. Try on different brands to get the best fit. I've used both a Bell Bellistic, and a Giro (can't remember the model). I've gone through 3 helmets now and notice that even year to year, the sizing changes (e.g. once a medium fit me now I need a large).

As for carbon, it's not something I ever thought about. I'm not sure it will make that much difference frankly, since it isn't really the weight of the helmet but the heat of the helmet that you'll notice and I can't see the carbon helping there.

It's too bad Giro doesn't make their Switchblade anymore. I still have mine and love the option of the removable face protection for more technical xc rides.

Mary Ann

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I have a vigor vamoose II. You can get them at go-ride.com. They are pretty lightweight and have good vents. Also comes in 7 different sizes including xxs, xs which was great for me since I can barley fit most small adult helmets.

pewpewpew Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by LostSheep
    Hello,

Its been a while since I've posted anything, but I need a little advice. I was mtb'ing with a group last weekend and riding one of the glorious trails in Pisgah. Don't ask me which one it was, but it was a nice Tsali-like downhill that apparently suddenly ended with some crazy little hill with no forewarning. The guy in front of me flew off one way and broke his elbow and I flew off the other way and sorta shattered my face. I was wearing a helmet of course but most of my damage seems to be from my nose down. Lost conciousness for 20-30 hours, had convulsions, was bleeding from nose and ears, blah, blah. Who knows. Don't remember and let's just say that whatever hospital I ended up wasn't exactly cutting edge (Asheville?).

Thing is once my balance returns, I can't wait to get back on my bike again. I know my accident was sorta a fluke. I am such a safe rider, but I am always getting hurt. Ha! I was riding with pads and helmet and had to bash in the one part of my body not protected. I think I want a FF helmet now. I am just a XC rider, but can't imagine going through another week like this past one again. What do you guys think? I was sorta looking at the Giro MadMax II. Anyone had any experience with this helmet? I guess I am fully prepared to be a female geek in Fl riding XC with a FF helmet.
    Wow I'm glad you are ok. How frightening.

L1MEY
    If you're looking for an XC type helmet that has a detatchable faceguard, try the MET Parachute. MET don't export their helmets to the US (they're an Italian company), but you can buy them online from Europe and have them shipped. I think Chain Reaction Cycles in London will ship to the US, and as far as I remember their shipping fees are pretty reasonable. That way you'd get good ventilation with added protection. It's not gonna be as bombproof as a helmet designed for DH, but it won't be as heavy either.

http://www.met-helmets.com/

- Jen.
    Ride like a girl! :cornut:

Members who have read this thread: 0