Another Armor Thread. Best Leg and Arm Armor- Mtbr.com
    Living the Dream

Another Armor Thread. Best Leg and Arm Armor

Hi, I am looking for some comfortable arm armor that won't slip, yet is not too restrictive or uncomfortable. I am thinking about the Roach Rally FR Arm or the Dainese. Arm Armour that I have & do not like is the TLD elbow, 661 4X4, and the Rockgarn Landing Zone.

I am also looking for leg. I have the 661 Tomcats for when I'm clipped in. I really like these. I am looking for something to use with flats. I own the Roach Rally Fr leg, but I think that they are uncomfortable and too restrictive to pedal in. I am thinking about the TLD combats or the Fox Raptors. I like would like for the shin to not go all the way down to to the ankle. I would like mid to 2/3 shin coverage. That is why the TLD shorty's and raptor's appeal to me. Anyone have any suggestions?

I guess my leading contendors right now are the Roach Rally for Arms and the Fox Raptor for Knee/shins. I am also considering the 661 evo for an elbow guard when it comes out. I have used the search function, but I can't find too much on the Raptors. THe TLD combats seem to get mixed results.
    "And I shout that your all fakes and you should have seen the look on your face"

3 "fiddy" for short
    I have the Roach arms and like them pretty well. I did find however that MAYBE I should have gotten one size smaller. After a while they do slip a little, but not to the point where they are uncomfortable or no longer doing their job. A simple "tug" and all is good for a while longer. I could pull the straps tighter, but I find this much more uncomfortable than the minor readjustment that is occasionally needed.

mtbr member
    Raceface/Roach for sure. Everyone I know with Dainese doesn't like them and wishes they had my RF gear.
    The RF leg armour seems to come up small on the sizing though.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The Roach Rally's don't slip for the very reason you say you don't like them...because they go all the way down into your shoe. For better pedalling just unfasten the 2 top straps.

mtbr member
    I once chafed my knee from pedaling too much in the Raceface FR knee/shin pads. I solved the problem by wearing knee warmers under them and did'nt notice the extra heat.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for “I suck at brake control.” Here’s a free tip: get better."

mtbr member

Race Face is Great!

I have Race Face Rally FR legs and arms; the RF DH Jacket, RockGardn CYA shorts, Dainese Techno Gloves and a Giro Remedy FF lid.

Nice setup; reasonably priced, but I am looking to migrate to a full Dainese setup for next year. There is a reason that most serious riders are wearing that stuff. Also, watch the Pro Road Racing Moto circuit - they are all wearing Dainese outfits.
    The reason dogs have so many friends is that they wag their tail instead of their tongues.

~~~~~~~~
    I'm going to try the TLD Lopes model knee shin next. Also been thinking about customizing some shin guards to attach to my 661 Kyle Straight knee pads. Got a nice pile of assorted pads, none of them are perfect. The Roach FR arms have worked well for me, I like the full forearm coverage and they don't move when you hit the ground, most of the time. Was surprised on a recent sliding crash that my 661KS pads didn't keep my knees from getting abrasions.

3 "fiddy" for short
    Quote Originally Posted by steve47co1
    I have Race Face Rally FR legs and arms; the RF DH Jacket, RockGardn CYA shorts, Dainese Techno Gloves and a Giro Remedy FF lid.

Nice setup; reasonably priced, but I am looking to migrate to a full Dainese setup for next year. There is a reason that most serious riders are wearing that stuff. Also, watch the Pro Road Racing Moto circuit - they are all wearing Dainese outfits.
    I have the Dainese Race light jacket and really like it. I have heard of others not liking their leg pads because the slip a lot. Many Dainese leg owners have said that the RF is a little nicer setup.
    Pressure suits -- Dainese is really nice.

Living the Dream

Thanks Guys

I guess I'll try the Roach FR arms. The reason I posted this question was because I've had such bad luck with armor fitting. Armor that I am still curious about for my legs would be the TLD combats, fox raptor and possibly the sette impact.
    "And I shout that your all fakes and you should have seen the look on your face"

Powered by ice cream.
    I like the Rally FR leg pads, no experience with arms. Stitching in spots was spotty, but easy to repair
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak
    And I thought I had a bike obsession. You are at once tragic and awesome.

%$#$*!
    I use the Roach FR arms and TLD combat shorty's. The Roach Fr arms are comfortable and have good protection. Took me a little bit to break them in.

I like the TLD combats quite a bit. They don't slip or chafe, but I suppose that may vary for different body types.

For comparison, I've used Dainese and 661race's and I thought the TLD's were better. The only thing I would like to see is some calf protection on the tld's.

Hike 'n Bike Nat'l Champ
    Got the old Fox 911 set and love 'em.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I recommend both, RF Rally FR and TLD Combat leg armor.
    RF offers more protection, I felt it more restrictive only when not riding. Once you're pedalling you don't notice.
    For arm I like RF Rally FR and Dainese Impact Jacket Race, the second one being a body armor. It vests me like a glove, very confortable and breathable.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    One set for flats, one for clips? come on. All I use is kneepads and full finger gloves, full face. Its pretty standard the stuff doesn't fit, but its usually where u want it if u fall. Armor requires little thought and less talk.

Living the Dream

Thank you for that wonderful insight

Quote Originally Posted by dpspac3
    One set for flats, one for clips? come on. All I use is kneepads and full finger gloves, full face. Its pretty standard the stuff doesn't fit, but its usually where u want it if u fall. Armor requires little thought and less talk.
    Very useful contribution.

Oct 2004
    From my DH experience:

I use the 661 Kyle Strait knees for DH racing and shuttling and they're awesome, but I've also used the Dainese lower body bib/suit thing. I much prefer the 661 Kyle Strait knees even though they appear to provide less protection than the Dainese. To this day I believe the Dainese pads have some sort of self-preservatioin ability (probably why they cost so damn much) that causes them to move out of the impact zone during a crash. However, since they're attached to a bib short they are incredibly comfortable and don't bind at the back of the knees.

For elbows I use a full Dainese suit for rocky and/or very fast courses. For fun days, shuttling, mellow riding, I use an old pair of the TLD elbow guards. They appear different on the TLD site now, so I can't vouch for the new ones, but the ones I have fit great, don't move once you get a sweat going, and protect pretty well. These are the new TLD ones.

http://catalog.troyleedesigns.com/ca...products_id=98

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    The RF/roach seem to be the best combo of comfort, protection, and durability in my (rather long, storied, and very well-crashed) experience.

That said, Troy Lee Combats are, IMHO, the most comfortable, non-slipping, easily-pedalable leg armor ever. It's just that the knee cups crack on your first crash, every time. I've had 3 pairs, so it's not a fluke. If you don't mind this, I'd go with them. The airflow under the guards is amazing, the retention is superior (for my legs, anyhow), and they're the best-ever for all-round riding with armor on, at the expense of some coverage. But I'm going with Roach next time...my FRs have lasted about 4 years through hell, and are reasonably comfortable to pedal with, sometimes undoing the knees for long climbs.

The Roach elbows are also a good design.

Living the Dream

Thanks that is what I was looking for

Quote Originally Posted by AgentX
    That said, Troy Lee Combats are, IMHO, the most comfortable, non-slipping, easily-pedalable leg armor ever. It's just that the knee cups crack on your first crash, every time. I've had 3 pairs, so it's not a fluke. The Roach elbows are also a good design.
    Does Troy Lee Have a crash replacement policy for the Combats? I think I am going to go with the Combats and Roach Rally Arms. I do like to pedal in my Tomcats, I just wished they provided some shin protection for flats.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    If they do, I've been missing out...

Oh, So Interesting!
    Jenson has Roach stuff on sale right now, I just got some fr arms %50 off... I also have the dh arms, fr legs, and armor jacket. All great stuff. I think the armor jacket is as good as Dainese, arms and legs are better... I use the 661 KS pads if I'll be pedaling.

KDK
    mtbr member
    Another vote for the Raceface arm / leg pads. I have the FR version which replaced the Dainese ones. They offer more protection as they seem to have a more rounded shape and protect the sides of the knee as well. They stay in place and as everyone said, once you start pedaling you do not notice.

The Dainese were a bit better ventilated though, but the RFs are not bad. In hot summer days you can unstrap the two velcros at the knee on those uphills, and plenty of air will come in.

Highly recommended.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Been on Roach/RF DH for 5 years and am another happy customer. Yeah, the legs aren't the best for extensive pedaling, but for overall comfort and fit they have been priceless. The arms are great and not very restrictive in my experience, but if I was going to try something new it would be the Dainese too...

The ones below look very promising to me for comfort and breathability...

http://www.go-ride.com/ProductDetail...000-1064512244

May 2007
    I still don`t have a body armor, but I can tell you how I like my shingurads and elbows. Both of them are FOX.

Elbows are ok (sometimes they can slip but if you have shirt underneath them they won`t move), but I just ADORE my FOX shingurads. They stick to my leg and knee like it`s part of it, and they don`t move.

Really, sometimes I forget that I have them on me...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpenglow
    Does Troy Lee Have a crash replacement policy for the Combats? I think I am going to go with the Combats and Roach Rally Arms. I do like to pedal in my Tomcats, I just wished they provided some shin protection for flats.
    I use this exact setup for XC. Combat legs and Roach arms. The Combats are great for pedaling. They stay in place very well and are quite comfortable. My one complaint is that the construction quality is pretty mediocre. Mine are starting to fall apart (they are 3 years old).

One thing to consider is that while they cover the shins, they are pretty short. I'm only 5'-6", and there is about 2" of shin uncovered above my shoes. This is one reason they are comfortable to pedal in, but I would worry about running platforms with them in case you slip and hit that exposed area.

For shuttle days I run Roach FR knees and a Dianese Race jacket. The Roach knees are fantastic for shuttling, but more cumbersome to pedal in (although they aren't bad once they break in).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Enel
    I like the Rally FR leg pads, no experience with arms. Stitching in spots was spotty, but easy to repair
    The arms are comfortable but the stitching is pretty poor.

It's carbon dontcha know.
    Jenson have them on sale super cheap:
    http://www.jensonusa.com/search/?s=r...&btnSearch.y=0

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    six six one makes a very comfortable elbow/forearm guard that stays in place quite well. Saved me many times. 661 seems to be the best, the veggie wrap knee pads are awesome as well,

Members who have read this thread: 0