Amazing light elbow pads?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2017

Amazing light elbow pads?

I tried the Alpinestars paragons. Totally sucked as they aren't articulated. POC Vpd Air sucked as they don't conform to my arm or my wife's and slide down often too. Sizing was correct just poor design but I liked that they were breathable and light.

Considering IXS Flow. Troy Lee speed sleeve is interesting but I don't want to wear that much material and get hot. Dakine slayers fit nice but material was like sand paper and way to rough. I heard good thinks about Dianese Trail Skins.

Anyone have some good experience with some of these?

mtbr member
    I had the IXS Cleaver and thought they were pretty good but just started riding with G-Form Elite elbow and knee/shin pads. Absolutely love them. I prefer this style where they slide on and are like a compression sleeve compared to something that has open gaps. They move with the body very well and don't shift at all.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Evil View Post
    I had the IXS Cleaver and thought they were pretty good but just started riding with G-Form Elite elbow and knee/shin pads. Absolutely love them. I prefer this style where they slide on and are like a compression sleeve compared to something that has open gaps. They move with the body very well and don't shift at all.
    Good to know. I've never been a fan of the GForm pads in the past as they didn't meet 1621 and my 6yro (who rips) regularly found their limit (tears of pain). These seem to have stepped it up tho protection wise with those. Are they comfortable on hot days etc or kind of on the warmer side? They seem really light in weight which I like. Upon review of the Dianese Trail Skin 2, they seem pretty dang heavy actually. Not something I want.

Anything you don't like about the G-Form Elites?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by svinyard View Post
    Good to know. I've never been a fan of the GForm pads in the past as they didn't meet 1621 and my 6yro (who rips) regularly found their limit (tears of pain). These seem to have stepped it up tho protection wise with those. Are they comfortable on hot days etc or kind of on the warmer side? They seem really light in weight which I like. Upon review of the Dianese Trail Skin 2, they seem pretty dang heavy actually. Not something I want.

Anything you don't like about the G-Form Elites?
    The 2 times I wore them it was high 80's and humid. Didn't feel bad at all. I like the compression feel and they breathe well. So far there is nothing I don't like about the G-Form's. As a matter of fact, I just ordered their gloves.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

I'll second the nomination for the G-Form pads.

I've got both elbows and knees and love them. I've got the originals, not elites, and they're on their 3rd season. The elbows seem to run true to size, and the sleeve runs long enough above the elbow to fit under the jersey sleeve. They don't move once in place, and aren't much warmer than nothing when it's hot/humid. I wear them every time I ride. Period.

The knees seem to run on the small side. I exchanged mediums for larges, but kept the medium elbows. They don't move either. The material above the knee is on the short side so it doesn't reach under the cuffs my bib shorts. If you're in baggies they're probably fine.

I can confirm that they do their job. I crashed in a race a couple of weeks ago going over a stone wall. I bounced around, got up and rode away, thinking nothing of it. The next day that knobby bit of bone on the outside of my knee, below the bend was a little sore (and developed a good size bruise after a couple more days). I figured the pad had not covered it and it was a casualty of the crash. I discovered the next time I put the pads on that they had probably saved the race, and possibly a trip to the ER. There is a bit of padding that covers that bone, and it had a good size scuff and a bit of a tear in the pad material. I figure if the pad hadn't been there, my knee would have had similar damage.

So far, I haven't put the elbows to much of a test. Hoping to keep it that way
    -Tim

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I have both ixs flow knee and elbows. They pack a lot of protection for a lightweight pad. Breathe really well, and have been tested several times. Comfortable and stay in position well.