AM helmets- Mtbr.com

Thread: AM helmets

Your bike is incorrigible

AM helmets

I was wondering what helmets everyone else uses for AM riding. I ask because I often find myself wanting more protection than my XC lid, but I don't feel the type of riding I do warrants a full face helmet. I've thought of skate style helmets as a compromise, but they are usually a little hot. Any thoughts? Recommendations?

Feb 2005

I had just posted this same topic!

Same questions....

D2 is too hot for all day
    Zen offers little protection
    Switchblade discontinued....

see my other post.....

Your bike is incorrigible
    Quote Originally Posted by ChamMTB
    Same questions....

D2 is too hot for all day
    Zen offers little protection
    Switchblade discontinued....

see my other post.....
    CRAP! I thought I had checked for the topic well before posting.

No Gansta Lean here.
    Feb 2004

See other post: some info there

Cross Post the other post to the mfr. forum(s)? Specialized? Forward the link to Bell/Giro?
    EWR-HE-148-11-4-97
    Microbeer's Better!

mtbr member
    I use a Giro Xen and don't have any issues with it. Wouldn't use it for full on downhill, but for 99% of the stuff I ride its more than adequate.

Cameron
    Go Big or Go Home

livin' large
    Quote Originally Posted by cameronm_99
    I use a Giro Xen and don't have any issues with it. Wouldn't use it for full on downhill, but for 99% of the stuff I ride its more than adequate.

Cameron
    Me too, although I wish it had more moisture wicking pads, I sweat like i'm going to the chair on most rides, I'm gonna try the do-rag under the helmet trick next.

Full face no good, to hot and the screen gets clogged with snot and luggies
    it tied the room together man!

mtbr member
    I use the Specialized Instinct. Similar to the Xen. I think either are a great choice. They both have better coverage than a regular XC lid but are very well ventilated.

`..><((((>`..`..`...><((((>`. .`..`...><((((> `.. `..

Apr 2006
    The Met Parachute is great if you don't live in the western hemisphere. I have one, but had to purchase and ship for a foreign country.

http://www.met-helmets.com/ProdottiD...b=293&idcat=13

mtbr member

F-Face

Quote Originally Posted by Guyechka
    I was wondering what helmets everyone else uses for AM riding. I ask because I often find myself wanting more protection than my XC lid, but I don't feel the type of riding I do warrants a full face helmet. I've thought of skate style helmets as a compromise, but they are usually a little hot. Any thoughts? Recommendations?
    I wear my full face all the time everywhere.Even to go to store for more beer.(ale).When it's too warm,I just pack it to the top of the trail.If I bump my head and die going uphill,well,must be my time to go.Reason being,I've done face plants on both dirt and pavement.The dirt landing loosend all my front teath.Cause I smoke,bad gums,they never recovered.Now I got fake teeth.I don't want to bust them either!Although the road rash on the face was over 20 years ago,I still remember this guy laughfing at me when I was begging him to to drive me to the ER.

moaaar shimz
    I have a Giro Havoc and it is super ventilated and light, really happy with it.

I am buying a FF, maybe a Azonic T-55 or if I have some more money a Giro Remedy or Fox Rampage

I dig trails!
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbjeffco
    The Met Parachute is great if you don't live in the western hemisphere. I have one, but had to purchase and ship for a foreign country.

http://www.met-helmets.com/ProdottiD...b=293&idcat=13
    Great find! Can you tell us were you bought it and give some details on your thoughts on the pros and cons of using the helmet.

And why are they outside US only?

Mr. P

I dig trails!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.P
    And why are they outside US only?
    Answer is:

we have to inform you that MET S.p.A., producer of the MET helmets, have decided not to export their helmets to North-America (Canada and United States of America). As a supplier of helmets throughout the world, MET have to ensure that their products pass the different safety standards that apply in the countries in which they are sold. MET helmets do not meet just one of these standards but all of them, whether it is Europe, Japan, or Australia, for instance. Nevertheless, we have noted that some court decisions about product liability in some countries, especially USA and Canada penalize manufacturers for damages that may be suffered by a consumer involved in an accident. This, sometimes, occurs regardless of the quality of the product, and the safety it actually provides. Moreover, judicial costs and attorney's fees are very burdensome in North America. It being confirmed that MET products are fully UE regulations, safety standards and state of the art compliant, MET S.p.A., as a family business, not run yan obscure international financial conglomerate but by people, individuals working together, side by side, each and every day, have decided to keep their products out of the North-American market, and to spend time, money and energy in product research and development, not lawyers and trails. Anyone who would violate MET S.p.A above decision, and would import Met helmet in North-America will be exclusively responsible for any legal consequence involving MET helmets. We thank you for your interest and for taking the time to contact us. We are confident that you will find a suitable helmet among the products available on your home market.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Cosco Viper XM

Sturdiest of the switchable helmets, German made, not sold in the US.
    one (of many) reliable web site seliing these:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=10718

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by HENRI8
    Sturdiest of the switchable helmets, German made, not sold in the US.
    one (of many) reliable web site seliing these:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=10718
    Wow, this one seems like the perfect AM helmet. Too bad they don't list the weight.

Members who have read this thread: 0