AM/FR Helmet- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 51 of 51

Thread: AM/FR Helmet

  1. #1
    EastBaySteez
    Reputation: Freerydejunky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    4,726

    AM/FR Helmet

    Looking at doing alittle more pedaling in the coming winter months.
    Im currently rocking a Azonic Surround sound helmet. It is not cutting it anymore. Not even close.
    I am open to any kind of helmet. But keep this in mind. When I crash, it is NOT pretty.

    What can you guys recommend? The more protection the better(not full face)
    Gamut
    Team Evil
    Formerly: motormonkeyr6

  2. #2
    Shred all that can be
    Reputation: sickspeed16's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    800
    I'm rockin a protec,they've got an EPS foam and another type, all I know is one can handle more than one hard impact and the other one can't. (I gots the crappy one) and they come in lots of pretty colors to match your bike. that means you would be and when you you wouldn't be about the fact your in the hospital getting by your mother/spouse/girlfriend/boyfriend?
    "This sticker is dangerous and inconvienent, but I do love Fig Newtons"

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    1,689
    Giro Xen

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 2clue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,391
    Giro Xen is definitely the way to go it comes back behind the head more to give more protection. Also its alight weight and feels amazing!

  5. #5
    Gravity Guy
    Reputation: xlr8rbmx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    103
    Trail Helmet: Fox Flux. Love this helmet: fit, retention, ventilation, looks.

    Full Face: I ride a carbon fiber 661 and I like it a lot, it's very light and I can wear it all day without noticing it.
    BMX: '00 S&M DBC
    Hardtail: '04 Norco Sasquatch
    DH: '05 Giant Faith
    Road: '01 Giant TCR2
    Trail: '08 Rocky Mtn Slayer 70

  6. #6
    Capricious youth...
    Reputation: Prettym1k3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,814
    Careful, Grant. The Giro full face helmets fit me fine, but the Giro half-shell helmets don't git me at all.

    I'm a Bell man as far as half-shell helmets go.

    But if you really want a half shell, I'm doing a 661 order tomorrow. I can snag you one of their dirt lids or something. Let me know what size you want.

    P.S. Is that check in the mail yet, duder?
    Meh.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    778
    AM: Giro Xen

    FR: Troy Lee Designs D2

    That is just for me though, it must fit you well or even if it is the fanciest helmet around it will just be terrible.

    For most protection without going fullface..... Troy Lee Designs D2 Open-face, ohhhhhh yeeeeaaahhhhh!! Haha, I would get one of those for kicks if I had the coin, but I'll stick with what I've got for serious riding.

  8. #8
    EastBaySteez
    Reputation: Freerydejunky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    4,726
    Quote Originally Posted by Prettym1k3
    Careful, Grant. The Giro full face helmets fit me fine, but the Giro half-shell helmets don't git me at all.

    I'm a Bell man as far as half-shell helmets go.

    But if you really want a half shell, I'm doing a 661 order tomorrow. I can snag you one of their dirt lids or something. Let me know what size you want.

    P.S. Is that check in the mail yet, duder?

    Sent you a pm on DS.
    Gamut
    Team Evil
    Formerly: motormonkeyr6

  9. #9
    Underweight Rider
    Reputation: AznRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    439
    I have Fox Flux for AM and Rampage for DH.

  10. #10
    Bicyclochondriac.
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    14,004
    Quote Originally Posted by 2clueless
    Giro Xen is definitely the way to go it comes back behind the head more to give more protection.
    This is a huge misconception about the Xen. I have one. I bought it for the very reason you are recommending it and was sorely disappointed. If you actually look at how much of your head it covers (use your finger and trace along your head), you will find it gives about as LITTLE coverage as just about any xc hemet out there. It does not come down farther in the back than anything else out there. It just looks that way because it come up HIGHER on the sides, and perhaps because of the low profile in the back.

    That said, I do find it very comfortable, and it sure does look better than most helmets out there.

  11. #11
    from 0 - sideways 3.2 sec
    Reputation: derekr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    1,478
    I use my Troy Lee D2 for everything, great bit of kit and bloody light!

  12. #12
    TNC
    TNC is offline
    noMAD man
    Reputation: TNC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,059
    I don't even ride actual off road trails anymore without a full coverage helmet. I'll ride a bike path or such with my Giro Hex, but if it's a real bike "trail" of any consequence, I wear a Specialized Deviant or a Pryme AL. Those helmets are extremely vented and breathe excellently...the Deviant being slight cooler. It has paid for itself on at least two occasions during face plants in the rocks. For a full blown bike park application, my Giro Mad Max fits that bill, but otherwise I"m a full coverage guy. I wouldn't ride my dirt motor with an open fact helmet, and I won't generally ride my MTB without a full coverage either. I'm no Cedric Gracia, but I like to push things a bit for fun, and a busted face isn't something I look forward to. I think people should have the freedom to ride with either style of helmet, but the full coverage is my choice.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Luigiugueto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,538
    Fox flux or Giro Xen

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mcrumble69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    1,069
    I noticed you mentioned you wanted one for Winter riding.
    How cold does it get where you ride?
    I live in the North East and it can get really cold here.
    Usually for temps between 30 to 35 degrees I will wear a EPS foam ProTec skate-BMX style helmet.
    It's semi warm, affordable, and designed to take multiple impacts like sickspeed16 mentioned.
    I just recently picked up a full face for temps below 30 degrees.
    In the spring I usually try on every helmet they have at my LBS and pick the one that fits best.

  15. #15
    ride hard take risks
    Reputation: dogonfr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    25,412
    Quote Originally Posted by TNC
    I I wouldn't ride my dirt motor with an open fact helmet, and I won't generally ride my MTB without a full coverage either. I'm no Cedric Gracia, but I like to push things a bit for fun, and a busted face isn't something I look forward to. I think people should have the freedom to ride with either style of helmet, but the full coverage is my choice.


    Lip between 2 teeth.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

  16. #16
    Bicyclochondriac.
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    14,004

    Giro Xen = Marketing Miracle?

    I am really floored by how often the Xen is being recommended to someone looking for helmet with more coverage than average. Forget about what it looks like in your hand or on the shelf, or in pictures. Put it on your head, then take you finger and follow it around the edges and see how far it actually comes down the sides and back of your head. It's not very far. In fact, it is LESS than many other xc helmets out there. My Bell Image and some old Bell road helmet gave me more coverage. When you look at it, It looks like it comes down farther in the back, but that is an illusion created by the sides being higher (less coverage), and perhaps by the low profile in the back.

    I'm not saying it is a bad helmet. In fact, it is my favorite XC lid I've owned because it is the most comfortable, and it actually looks good. But it is a mistake to think that this is in any way MORE coverage than just about anything else marketed as an XC lid, and it is one of the LAST helmets I would recommend if more full coverage is a main concern.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    778
    Quote Originally Posted by kapusta
    I am really floored by how often the Xen is being recommended to someone looking for helmet with more coverage than average. Forget about what it looks like in your hand or on the shelf, or in pictures. Put it on your head, then take you finger and follow it around the edges and see how far it actually comes down the sides and back of your head. It's not very far. In fact, it is LESS than many other xc helmets out there. My Bell Image and some old Bell road helmet gave me more coverage. When you look at it, It looks like it comes down farther in the back, but that is an illusion created by the sides being higher (less coverage), and perhaps by the low profile in the back.

    I'm not saying it is a bad helmet. In fact, it is my favorite XC lid I've owned because it is the most comfortable, and it actually looks good. But it is a mistake to think that this is in any way MORE coverage than just about anything else marketed as an XC lid, and it is one of the LAST helmets I would recommend if more full coverage is a main concern.
    I had actually never heard that claim until now, and I got my Xen a couple or so years ago. Interesting to hear this though. I thought that was just said for the Giro Semi MX...

  18. #18
    REALLY?
    Reputation: jeffgothro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    2,098
    Quote Originally Posted by TNC
    I don't even ride actual off road trails anymore without a full coverage helmet. I'll ride a bike path or such with my Giro Hex, but if it's a real bike "trail" of any consequence, I wear a Specialized Deviant or a Pryme AL. Those helmets are extremely vented and breathe excellently...the Deviant being slight cooler. It has paid for itself on at least two occasions during face plants in the rocks. For a full blown bike park application, my Giro Mad Max fits that bill, but otherwise I"m a full coverage guy. I wouldn't ride my dirt motor with an open fact helmet, and I won't generally ride my MTB without a full coverage either. I'm no Cedric Gracia, but I like to push things a bit for fun, and a busted face isn't something I look forward to. I think people should have the freedom to ride with either style of helmet, but the full coverage is my choice.

    Thats what I need as of I have dentures uppers and lowers (but seldom wear my lowers - but you cant tell ) and cant really lock my jaw to well and...well, I dont want to eat out of a straw.

    FULLFACE for me!
    DJ, "Because I'm sure the world need's more dudes stalking the woods stoned out of their mind carrying a deadly weapon."

  19. #19
    Bicyclochondriac.
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    14,004
    Quote Originally Posted by Hack On Wheels
    I had actually never heard that claim until now, and I got my Xen a couple or so years ago. Interesting to hear this though. I thought that was just said for the Giro Semi MX...
    Don't take my word for it. Grab your Xen and some other lids that fit well and do the finger test I described.

  20. #20
    Praise Bob
    Reputation: Spartacus Rex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    490

    Stop stealin' my avatar!

    Quote Originally Posted by jeffgothro
    Thats what I need as of I have dentures uppers and lowers (but seldom wear my lowers - but you cant tell ) and cant really lock my jaw to well and...well, I dont want to eat out of a straw.

    FULLFACE for me!
    J/k! praise Bob!

  21. #21
    REALLY?
    Reputation: jeffgothro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    2,098
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartacus Rex
    J/k! praise Bob!
    King of slack!
    DJ, "Because I'm sure the world need's more dudes stalking the woods stoned out of their mind carrying a deadly weapon."

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    970
    you can get a good idea of the coverage of the giro xen helment here the helmet is nice and light but im not sure if i would recommend it for AM/FR its more of a xc style helmet. The fox flux is a better buy than the Xen since its pretty much identical and cheaper

    For DJ / Trails i rock the bell skate style helemt just seems like most helmet for the $
    www.garabaghi.com
    more photos
    www.tripxamerica.com
    Reviews by riders.

    Hifi => Ex 9. Thank you warranty.

  23. #23
    catskillclimber
    Guest
    I like my Hex. Same coverage as the Xen and Flux but about $30 + cheaper. Fits me well and seems light. The look isn't for everyone but I like it.

  24. #24
    Just roll it......
    Reputation: ebxtreme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,618
    On my 2nd Xen now.

    First one saved my arse when I botched a big gap, landed sideways and hit the back of my head on the ground super hard. Anyone that's caught their heal edge on a snowboard while riding boiler plate knows what I'm talking about.

    I still saw stars, but there was a big indentation on my helmet at the very bottom on the back. My old Bell xc lid did not have the covereage back there and that would've been my skull. Anyway, I retired the Xen after that tumble (it already had several big dents in it) and got a new one shortly after.

    As for brand of helmet, I find helmets are like saddles and are very much about personal preference. I used to only wear Bell's because they fit my head better, but the Xen fits me like a glove.

    Cheers,
    EB

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,018
    I use a xen for xc/all mountain and a specialized deviant carbon for fr/dh.

    I like the xen but i wouldnt ride fr/dh with it on as it dosent cover the head enough.

  26. #26
    I need a new name
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    906
    Giro Semi-MX for me
    i ride bikes

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Broccoli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    5,762
    Kong Scarab

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ScareyH22A's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    279
    I was in the market for a Xen. Pretty comfy and a nice fit for my head but I noticed that it didn't provide ANY extra coverage than my current old skool xc helmet. Actually I'm more concerned about ventilation so I think I'm gonna look into the new Bell Volt or something else.. don't mind the road bike look but it does come with a visor.

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    667
    Fox Transition, 300g of superb protection.
    check out great video coverage of anything mtb (well almost).

    http://www.mtbcut.tv

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tartosuc's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    675
    I have a xen for xc/trail
    a giro remedy for dh/fr

    occasionnaly i run a cheap skate lid.

    that said..i looked around and the protec eps system seems to be the most interresting to me. The Cyphon looks like a nice trailbike/all mountain helmet but i dont know what the coverage is compared to a Xen(that dont seem to cover enough as some people say)

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Broccoli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    5,762
    Quote Originally Posted by zephyr11
    Fox Transition, 300g of superb protection.
    Scarab - 255g

    EN 12492 and U.I.A.A. 106 for climbing on rock and ice
    EN 1078 for cycling, mountain bike, skate board
    EN 1385 for kayaking, canoeing, hydro-speed
    EN 1384 for horse riding

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,920
    Not wearing a full face means your grill has 0 protection. I have worn a Xen, E2 , Havoc etc. they all offer similar protection. If I plan on mild agressive riding I wear my trusty Giro Switchblade - it's not going to do a FF job but it has some grill protection. Heat vs.facial risk that is the difference.

  33. #33
    The White Jeff W
    Reputation: jeffw-13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    5,651
    Don't be afraid to look outside bike specific stuff. Sometimes I ride with my hockey helmet on. Reasonably comfortable, well ventilated, great protection, hell, you could put a tinted visor on it if you want.

    http://www.hockeygiant.com/helmets--...y-helmets.html
    No moss...

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Broccoli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    5,762
    Quote Originally Posted by keen
    Not wearing a full face means your grill has 0 protection.
    When I was younger and dumber, I would pop-in my boxing mouthpiece before trying a stunt on bike or rollerblades. Prevents tongue bites, busted lips and may save a few teeth.

  35. #35
    www.derbyrims.com
    Reputation: derby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,764
    One guy I ride AM with wears a snowboard/ski helmet because it has much more back of head protection and breaths well.

    For FR/DH full face is the only way to go.

  36. #36
    Meta and two veg
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    47
    For AM and my daily commute, a Met Parachute, not a “proper” full face, but an open face helmet with a detachable chin guard. I take the chinguard off for the commute.

  37. #37
    ride hard take risks
    Reputation: dogonfr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    25,412
    Actually I dont feel motormonkeyr6 really needs a helmet because he is like a ballerina when he bails.
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

  38. #38
    Natural body armor
    Reputation: Zen_Turtle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    2,176
    If you compare the Xen to 'real' XC helmets (like Giro Atmos) or super light XC lids it does have more protection IMHO. It's more like a matter of construction rather than coverage.
    The Fox Flux looks pretty cool but I haven't tested one yet.
    I keep hearing great things about the Casco Viper MX, which is like a Xen with detachable chin guard, but it looks much beafier than the Met Parachute.

    I'm with TNC on the protection. I started wearing the Pryme AL on my AM rides and now I'm almost always wearing it on any ride where I expect my wheels to leave the ground (or technical rocky stuff). I have some pretty bad scratches on the chin guard: Im glad they are there and not on my face.

    There's a mental barrier to adopt full face helmets in mtb: if I wear a FF I am automatically an hard core FR mountain biker. Well, I'm not, but I like my chin and teeth where they are.

    Deviant, Casco MX and Pryme AL are all excellent choices.
    I have a few reviews on Xen and Pryme (with comparison tables) in my blog if interested.

    ZT
    "There is no A-line"
    Savvy Bike

  39. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    47
    Protec A1, Fox Rampage and Fox Flux here.

    Rock them all out for different things.

  40. #40
    No Gansta Lean here.
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,027
    Bern.
    Nuff said...
    EWR-HE-148-11-4-97
    Microbeer's Better!

  41. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Justin Fox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    114
    Met Parachute here too.




  42. #42
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    68
    I suggest you go bike up the latest MBA, it has an article on how to crash better if your crashes aren't pretty, ha.

  43. #43
    TNC
    TNC is offline
    noMAD man
    Reputation: TNC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,059

    Yeah, I saw that...

    Quote Originally Posted by KLittle123
    I suggest you go bike up the latest MBA, it has an article on how to crash better if your crashes aren't pretty, ha.
    There were one or two kernels of good advice in there, but frankly when I crash it comes as a total surprise a millisecond after I thought I had everything under control or was going to save it. I think protective equipment is the way to go. When I crash it's usually because of speed in sketchy conditions or too slow in a rock pile...places where some kind of fancy jujitsu roll-and-tumble do little good...or time is lacking to employ it. I actually enjoy a good bit of MBA most of the time, but I figure it was a slow material day at the office when they plugged that one in.

  44. #44

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    87
    Giro Atmos.

    Lots of misinformed helmet claims being made here. If you want to make an informed decision about what kind of protection your helmet is designed to provide, especially vs. other helmets, do some research rather than believing what you read here.

    Even better are the "XC" vs. "AM" helmet claims.

    Marketing hype is a wonderful thing...

    (off to put my AM socks on)

  45. #45
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    746
    Quote Originally Posted by curious george
    Giro Atmos.

    Lots of misinformed helmet claims being made here. If you want to make an informed decision about what kind of protection your helmet is designed to provide, especially vs. other helmets, do some research rather than believing what you read here.

    Even better are the "XC" vs. "AM" helmet claims.

    Marketing hype is a wonderful thing...

    (off to put my AM socks on)
    well gorge, give us some direction on what helmet fits AM riding.

  46. #46
    Dirt Deviant
    Reputation: savagemann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    3,694
    I like the bell Variant......and I rock a giro remedy on rougher days. Also have a giro hex, but it has way less proctection than the variant.
    Look, whatever happens, don't fight the mountain.

  47. #47
    mtbr member
    Reputation: EDizzleVR6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    783
    fox flux
    Quote Originally Posted by _dw
    To be blunt;

    6) The Earth would begin to collapse into a black hole and it would make people sad.

  48. #48
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    31
    Casco Viper

  49. #49

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    35

  50. #50
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,106
    Quote Originally Posted by motormonkeyr6
    The more protection the better(not full face)
    Curious why you don't want to go full face? Especially when you say "the more protection, the better".

  51. #51
    EastBaySteez
    Reputation: Freerydejunky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    4,726
    Quote Originally Posted by dogonfr
    Actually I dont feel motormonkeyr6 really needs a helmet because he is like a ballerina when he bails.
    I pull off the flying squirrel cleaner than anyone in the East Bay.

    Honestly I ride with my Remedy most of the time. It just gets stupid hot during the summer, doing endurance races with a FF is NOT fun.
    Gamut
    Team Evil
    Formerly: motormonkeyr6

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.