mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Always Wear Your Helmet.

im writing this for my dad becuase:
    he took a hell of a crash yesterday,
    knocked himself out and ended up in the ER
    with a concussion.
    has no recollection of the whole previous day,
    and keeps askin me the same damn questions over and over. and over.
    so please, if ur reading this; always wear your helmet.
    if for anything, for the sake of your loved ones.
    Oldest daughter doesn't ride.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Sorry to hear about your dad hopefully he pulls through ok.

Out on the trails yesterday I counted at least 5 people without helmets, now these trails aren't crazy or super technical but there are some tricky spots with rocky outcroppings that one can easily crack their head on. I just don't understand why people don't wear one on the trail, even the top of the line ones are under $200. People need to think about how much their brain is worth and not that they are paying $$ for some foam and plastic.

don't try this at home
    Quote Originally Posted by skip canfield
    im writing this for my dad becuase:
    he took a hell of a crash yesterday,
    knocked himself out and ended up in the ER
    with a concussion.
    has no recollection of the whole previous day,
    and keeps askin me the same damn questions over and over. and over.
    so please, if ur reading this; always wear your helmet.
    if for anything, for the sake of your loved ones.
    BTDT, 'cept I couldn't remember anything for about 30 minutes, even during the 30 minutes i couldn't remember what i was just asked. and I still have no memory of the crash or those next 20-30 minutes. it's a very weird feeling after a while. i still think i have some memory issues related to the crash. hope you dad gets better soon.
    will you rep me?

mtbr member
    Wishing your Dad a full and speedy recovery.

I say this while sitting here with a nasty headache and stiff neck after smacking my mellon on a low tree yesterday Helmet dented, mellon intact.

My daughter also suffered a concussion two weeks ago from a mtn bike crash. She was wearing a full face helmet.

Helmets save lives, always wear em!

TANSTAAFL
    Quote Originally Posted by moschika
    BTDT, 'cept I couldn't remember anything for about 30 minutes, even during the 30 minutes i couldn't remember what i was just asked. and I still have no memory of the crash or those next 20-30 minutes. it's a very weird feeling after a while. i still think i have some memory issues related to the crash. hope you dad gets better soon.

BTDT as well, don't remember the day at all, morning to night, trip to the hospital and hours in the hospital, and asked that same questions over and over, we have a tape of it, pretty funny in hindsight now that I am all "normal" again. "how's my bike? did I break my collar bone (yes)?

My wife was told to keep me awake for 24 hours just in case.....

helmet was in three pieces after the crash....kind of wish I kept it now, but traded it in for a new one.

hope you dad comes out ok,

Jim
    "It is a bad sign when people stop identifying themselves with the county and start identifying with a group."

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Yes, and for that matter, if you are still practicing the DJ and FR thing, dont wear a regular helmet or a BMX style helmet. It ain't going to do you much good having your chin dislocated, and teeth knocked off.

I really dont get it. Unless you are very confident about your riding in which case the helmet type is not that important...I keep seeing people wearing these BMX style helmets. Over the wknd, I took a little spill off one of the bigger drops at demo. My full face had a pretty good scrap around the chin area. And even with the helmet, I had a very small scrap on my face from the impact of the helmet, and a minor headache still. Best 100 bucks I ever spend on a fullface. If not I wouldn't be able to get up briefly and try the drop again and again. Same goes for DJ. I walk away from a fair number of wipe outs only with minor damage to the chin or side of the helmet. Again, if not for a full face, I did be scraped up pretty bad or at the ER.

It only takes one spill to make the 100-200 bucks helmets worth every single penny.

mtbr member
    It really doesn't take much to mess you up pretty good.
    When I was twelve I fell off my back porch and hit my head on the only rock in the yard. I fell maybe 2 feet, just like falling off a bike. I fractured my skull. I was out for 6 days. I lost a lot of long term memory and hand eye coordination. It took a long time to recover too. I had to be medicated to prevent seizures. Which I would forget to take which was part of the brain damage.
    Even now I've got terrible short term memory and I can't catch a ball to save my life. When I was in high school I could never do sports that require you to catch or throw a ball but I could always do endurance sports like running and biking.
    I never ride without my helmet. In the last 12 years of mountain biking I've gotten 2 concussions with a helmet. I wonder how bad it'd have been without a helmet.
    I like to ride bikes.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I hope he is ok, I was thinking of riding with him this weekend. Where was he at when it happened.

beer is good for u
    best wishes and a fast recovery to your pops skip... family members' pain can hurt worse than your own.

I found a crack on my helme t a few months ago upon inspection and decided its time for replacement... check dat shell!

mtbr member

A good resource

You might want to visit the Raisin Hope Foundation's site. Its a foundation started by Saul Raisin after a bike accident in the Circuit de la Sarthe, in which he had a head injury lead to him nearly dieing, and ultimately ended his very promising pro career. The foundation is centered around helping those affected by TBI (Traumatic Brain Injury) directly or indirectly.

www.raisinhope.org

Saul is from my home town back in Ga, and grew up with my younger brother... I also help out with his site

Ride Good or Eat Wood
    Never get on my bike(s) without a helmet, never put my skis on without a helmet. Just second nature these days, feel naked without one on!!
    "Though my life is changing fast,
    My roots are planted in the past,
    Who I am, is who I want to be
    "

pewpewpew Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by moschika
    You did promise me that you'd give me all your bikes and your motorcycles. don't even tell me you don't remember THAT.
    Love, Impy

IPAs make me wanna puke.
    Dec 2004
    Which drop at Skeggs are you doing?
    My presence would be the equivalent of painting lamb's blood on your frame, causing the "angel of crash" to nail me instead.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    My dad is up moving around today. He is still goofy and asking the same thing over & over, but at least he's up. Got his bike gear back today, his helmet has a big deep dent at the left temple. HIs left shoulder is tore up ,left forearm & left knee and back of his right thigh all chewed up. Says his neck is stiff too.
    I'm glad he's up, you always think it's going to happen to someone else, and then you get the phone call. Your heart stops and then all the ????? come flooding out. I'm glad he's OK. He's a tough old SOB. Thats a good thing.

Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Red PeeKay
    Never get on my bike(s) without a helmet, never put my skis on without a helmet. Just second nature these days, feel naked without one on!!
    if you feel naked without one, why would you wear a helmet???

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ZEKEDAWG
    I hope he is ok, I was thinking of riding with him this weekend. Where was he at when it happened.
    Casey, I'm up and around if ya want to give me a shout on the landline.

mtbr member
    I counted like seven people without helmets on yesterday on the trails as well. It surprised me...

cbx
    mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Saw the same folks at Granite Bay you guys are referencing...pretty big risk...all it takes is one crash.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I cracked my helmet on Monday from a bad crash. It was pretty obvious that w/o the helmet my skull would have fractured or I'd have a concussion too. The helmet did it's job superbly. It was already 5 y/o so it was time for a new one anyhow. From being in the hot sun and roasting in hot cars, the foam can get brittle and lose it's crash protection ability.

This was a Giro Xen BTW, which has a lower rear lid for more protection. Excellent helmet, but I went for a Fox Flux since it has just slightly more rear protection, which is right where my helmet cracked during my backwards fall/slide.
    We Ride In God's Country!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I just replaced my Giro Xen also with A Fox Flux. I liked that it had more protection for the back of my head also. I Just checked the date on my Giro and it was about 5 years old. So I said what the heck. I work in a hospital and I see a lot of head injuries from people not wearing their helmets. It does not make since not to wear one. My wife and I were commenting that there seems to be a lot of new riders out now wearing helmets. Looks like they will end up finding out the hard way.....

Members who have read this thread: 0