All these damn helmet threads...- Mtbr.com
    TNC
    noMAD man

All these damn helmet threads...

(I thought that would get your attention, LOL!) All these helmet threads definitely point out one major issue...no one helmet design/style seems to work for all riders or the riding conditions. Now I know that may not seem like rocket science to most, but everytime a helmet question/opinion post pops up, there are at least a dozen very different responses...and that's not a bad thing.

I got to looking at my helmet shelf and realized that there are 4 really different types of helmets that I use for bicycling...the 5th helmet there, a fully enclosed road motorcycle helmet, is the only one that doesn't seem to have any bicycle application...except maybe for the Red Bull Road Rage

The only helmet that I haven't actually worn for my bicycling is the green Bell Moto 6. I just haven't had the opportunity to ride a cool weather big hit venue like Whistler. Everywhere I've been so far (even Mammoth and Big Bear), helmets like the Giro Mad Max or Pryme AL were more than sufficient and maybe necessary because of the vents. It's been mentioned that all helmets have to meet a certain safety standard, and that's true to an extent. I'd bet the AL, Mad Max, and Moto 6 have a pretty close impact absorbtion rating if the impact was a fairly blunt hit...like slamming your head down on to flat ground in a get off. But I can't see either that AL or Mad Max having quite the same protection as that Moto 6 when a big pointy rock or a hacked off tree limb nub stikes your head just right. Those open holes are not going to stop a puncture or highly concentrated strike as well as a fully enclosed shell/foam design.

Not trying to nit pick here, but it's just something that came to mind when I see all our responses about helmet recommendations. The type of riding we do, the conditions present when we do it, the temperature, the amount of effort generated, etc., etc. all contribute to what we need to wear, and what we can wear. I guess the best advice is to wear as much protection as one can "reasonably" stand under the circumstances in which one is riding. There's no way that most people are going to be able to ride an epic trail in mild to warm weather with a full TLD or Moto 6 where constant up and down effort is the norm. I've tried it, even with a Mad Max, and it just becomes unbearable. I know some recommend strapping the helmet to your water backpack, but this seems to work mainly in places where it's "all" basically uphill until you start a long decent...not always an option for most places.

Personally I want the most protection coupled with the most comfort and function that I can get. Let's face it, the helmet you'll actually always wear is better than the $500 Snell rated Formula One helmet that is sitting on the shelf back at the house. I wonder too, if I am just a sissy (no input from you, EIO ), or it's just my moto background that almost requires me to wear a helmet with jaw protection...something that brought me to the modified Pryme AL that I've been using for the last few months. The bottom line for me, however, is that I will wear that Pryme AL even in 90+ degree weather, where I wouldn't use the Mad Max. From reading some of the posts lately, it seems like more than a few people want a reasonably cool full coverage helmet for long trail rides and other stuff that includes a lot of prolonged effort. This is where I see the biggest span of differing opinions about helmet types. Many suggest only highly protective helmets with no or minimal venting while others suggest skate or XC open-faced helmets. No flame or judgemental opinion intended by me here...just an issue I've found interesting cropping up in many recent helmet posts. It just really points out how many factions of use and preference exist.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sep 2005
    Nice helmet collection.

Elitest thrill junkie
    I still have this one (and a newer Giro).

I never hit this bellistic very hard, so once and a while I repaint it.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

pwn3rator
    i never use these on my bike because they are really heavy...
    SOCAL UNION REPREZENT
    Quote Originally Posted by JBsoxB
    does it still qualify as a mountainbike?
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    I've beat beer cans on my limp pee pee.

TNC
    noMAD man
    Scab...you're about 16, right? What museum did you dig up that Moto 3 from...LOL! Man, I wore a Moto 3 on the Enduro motorcycle racing circuit back around '79 or '80...then went on to a Moto 4 for a few years. Do you have an older brother or something? Those lids bring back memories.

pwn3rator
    actually i turn 15 in like two weeks, and those are my dad's old helmets that i wore before i had my own. i ride old dirtbikes though: '84 DR 250, '86 DR125, '87 husquvarna CR 490, and i'm about to start working on getting the '72 TM 400 to run again. i only roll with teh oldskool...
    Last edited by scabrider; 11-11-2005 at 02:02 PM.
    SOCAL UNION REPREZENT

TNC
    noMAD man
    TM400...Cyclone?...dude, you're gonna kill yourself, LOL! You know the rest of the name on the old Cyclone, don't you? Cyclone Fence...because that's what you'd run into if you really opened it up. That bike had so much power, but it all came on at once...and no flywheel to soften up the hit. Yeah, you have some museum pieces there. That Husky was a pretty decent bike.

Ah, the Gremlin. I always wanted to drop a small block Chevy engine/drivetrain into one of those.

TNC
    noMAD man
    Talk about old school...how's this for old school Husqvarna classics? Some 24 year old punk on a Husky 360 Automatic...yeah, automatic. Won my first trophy on that bike nearly 30 years ago.

pwn3rator
    this is where it's at...
    SOCAL UNION REPREZENT

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by TNC
    (

. I wonder too, if I am just a sissy (no input from you, EIO ), .
    yeah right....more than EIO knows you are not a sissy...just an old man going out to pasteur
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

TNC
    noMAD man

You're getting close, grandpa!

Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    yeah right....more than EIO knows you are not a sissy...just an old man going out to pasteur
    Look out, man...that pasture gate is looming just ahead in your future.

notabouttoseeyourlight

When were you racing the Enduro series and where? My dad was an enduro racer in Missouri (not sure what district) in the 70's and then was a top level desert racer when he moved to California.

He rules at riding tech stuff. He used to race enduros in the woods on a 125cc 2 stroke (i don't remember the make or model) with no modifications except for extremely skinny handlebars to fit through the trees. He raced a Honda 480 and a bunch of other bikes in the desert out here.

My mom made him quit when I was born though ('85).

TNC
    noMAD man

Early 70's through mid 90's.

Quote Originally Posted by coma13
    When were you racing the Enduro series and where? My dad was an enduro racer in Missouri (not sure what district) in the 70's and then was a top level desert racer when he moved to California.

He rules at riding tech stuff. He used to race enduros in the woods on a 125cc 2 stroke (i don't remember the make or model) with no modifications except for extremely skinny handlebars to fit through the trees. He raced a Honda 480 and a bunch of other bikes in the desert out here.

My mom made him quit when I was born though ('85).
    I raced in two circuits. One was a Texas statewide deal, and the other was a New Mexico, Oklahoma, Louisiana deal...and they overlapped a bit. Never got to race in the big desert venues in Nevada and California, but two of our races in west Texas were very fast, desert styles. I did get to spend a whole month last year riding moto in some great places in SoCal in Anza-Borrego, Spangler Hills, and others. Serious desert racing would have been fun. I loved riding there.

Glad to Be Alive

I got a good decade left
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

TNC
    noMAD man

Not the way you live!

Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    I got a good decade left
    too much ta-kill-ya!

Glad to Be Alive
    too much ta-kill-ya!
    if you only knew......all sensationalism.....me be living just fine

mtbr member
    Here's my new baby... just got it on friday...

N* Bomber Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by Guital2
    Here's my new baby... just got it on friday...

Thats the same helmet I got! Its sooo sweeet....Now just to get some goggles to go with it.
    Northstar 2008 Riding Crew

mtbr remember
    What's the deal with the new Azonic Fury?? Looks solid and smooth, but absolutely NO info on it anywhere, not to mention available at any stores... but they put adds out in mags... ? I want to check it out though... I have a Giro Xen and my RED trace snowboard/skate helmet for hot days, and I've tried using my O'neal 808 mx helmet, but too bulky and HOT even for just dh runs!
    Schralp it Heavy.

May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by scabrider
    actually i turn 15 in like two weeks, and those are my dad's old helmets that i wore before i had my own. i ride old dirtbikes though: '84 DR 250, '86 DR125, '87 husquvarna CR 490, and i'm about to start working on getting the '72 TM 400 to run again. i only roll with teh oldskool...
    drop a 572 crate engine in the gremlin........sweet

its just a mountain
    dang TNC and scabrider. me and my dad used to roll the old school dirt bikes. we bought and restored 20+ huskys and a few can-ams over the last 7 or 8 years. we mostly rode them in our florida enduros but they ocasionally saw a vintage style motocross course. we had a bunch of mag 250's and a few 400's.

back to the helmet thing though. TNC is right. what's right for people out west isnt right for people in the south east. our temperatures are still in the mid 80's here so we need lots of vents year round. evalute what kind of riding you do and pick a helmet accordingly.

VEN

Oct 2005
    just got this today ...it used to cost 170$CAN i got it for 137$ with tax..i know its no D2 but i love it...i just went for a ride...

pb2

too much choice - too little time

TNC good thread and great opener, I am just about to move up to a full face after one too many close shaves, I am also seeking a light weight well ventilated lid, I like the look of the Prime and the Spesh ones, how much was your Prime and where did you get it from because a quick google did not throw up anything but skis.

btw my head is on the large side at circa 24" and one last how much are those new Spesh jobs?
    Last edited by yespsb; 11-19-2005 at 12:11 AM.

TNC
    noMAD man

Seattle Bike

Quote Originally Posted by yespsb
    TNC good thread and great opener, I am just about to move up to a full face after one too many close shaves, I am also seeking a light weight well ventilated lid, I like the look of the Prime and the Spesh ones, how much was your Prime and where did you get it from because a quick google did not throw up anything but skis.

btw my head is on the large side at circa 24" and one last how much are those new Spesh jobs?
    We get our Pryme line from Seattle Bike Supply. We're a Specialized dealer too, but we haven't gotten a Deviant yet...I don't have the price handy here at home. There are two models...fiberglass and carbon...pretty big price difference.

mtbr remember
    those Pryme's are all over ebay currently. And I cannot believe those Spec. carbons are like $350 msrp! I'd be looking at a full on TLD SE if I was gonna spend that much dough.

But, I'm still wondering about that Azonic Fury. No info, and nobody has chimed in on that thing. Am I the only one who has seen a pic or ad of one? just go to their website, it has a quick ad on it, but absolutly no info or prices. Looks promising though.
    Schralp it Heavy.

Dec 2004
    Heres my new baby:

Dan

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton

Pryme fits my fat head

I just bought one of the Prymes on Ebay, I am also about 24" and it fits well. Price is right, lots of vents... but it's my first full-face and I don't have anything to compare it to.

JMH

Quote Originally Posted by yespsb

Members who have read this thread: 0