All mtn full face helmet?- Mtbr.com
    rider
    Jan 2005

All mtn full face helmet?

Any good full face helmet that is light and vents well and also has good air flow for breathing? Or should I ask this on th DH board?

mtbr member
    the giro switchback is a rugged XC/AM style helmet with a reinforced, detachable, full face part. idk how well they work, but they are much lighter and more breathable.
    Abington Wheel Wright Freeride Crew

2011 Trek Session 8

2012 Trek Remedy 9

2012 Niner MCR 9

SND. CPS.

TNC
    noMAD man

Couple of good choices.

I do all my riding in a full face helmet...at least on dirt. The Pryme AL and the Specialized Deviant are both good choices. The AL needs a slight padding modification while the Deviant just has two cheek pads to remove from their velcro mounts. Both helmets have tremendous ventilation, and their chin/jaw guards aren't just screwed or snapped into place. I've been using the AL for well over a year now and also the Deviant for several months. I switch back and forth between the two depending on how I feel when I wake up...white...or silver.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Where did you purchase the PRyme helmet and can you show more detail of the venting on that lid please??

Jan 2007
    Deviant is pretty good dor AM, light and well ventilated although not tried it in the depths of summer yet.

mtbr member
    I went with the Giro Remedy, because it was the only Full-face the could fit my enormous head, and i still had to shave some foam out of it. Riding uphill sucks in it tho, so i got a CamelBak Mayhem, it straps to the back very secure. When i get to the top i switch helmets. Sometimes it gets in the way, but i got used to it very quickly.
    Click click, BLOODY CLICK WAFFLES!

TNC
    noMAD man

Vent pics.

Quote Originally Posted by MMcG
    Where did you purchase the PRyme helmet and can you show more detail of the venting on that lid please??
    Here's a couple more showing pad mods and ventilation. I never mess with the cranial protection area as far as the pads are concerned. Seattle Bike Supply has them as well as some other vendors.

mtbr member
    I just picked up a Giro remedy for the downhilling days. The most important thing I can advise on getting a full face is to try them on first. I tried several helmets that just didn't quite fit right before getting the Giro. Fit is most important.

TNC
    noMAD man

Lol!

solid gold plated
    do you find a full face a bit much for everyday riding, as im in desperate need of a helmet but dont quite know if i yet warrant a fullface, dont wanna look all moto X going down the garden path
    a message of inspiration from your friends at yoplait, fruit on the bottom, hope on top!

Just roll it......
    Quote Originally Posted by da_eddio
    do you find a full face a bit much for everyday riding, as im in desperate need of a helmet but dont quite know if i yet warrant a fullface, dont wanna look all moto X going down the garden path
    I'm sorry, there's no way I could do most of my riding with a true FF helmet, I don't care how well it vents....it's just not feasible for any climbing or true xc riding. I practically hyperventilate in my FF (Bell bellistic) doing flat stretches or short climbs.

A similar product to the switchblade (which is no longer made) is the Met Parachute. You can pick those up on ebay pretty regularly on ebay or in Canada and they're very comparable to the old switchblades. Unfortunately, like the discontinued switchblade, you can't get the Met in the US of A due to their fear of getting sued by our litigious society. Probably smart of them, imo. Anyway, I have a buddy with this helmet and it's probably the best compromise for "AM" use.

http://www.met-helmets.com/home.jsp?idrub=31

Cheers,
    EB

TNC
    noMAD man

Looks, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by da_eddio
    Well, since looks are so important, I decided I'd rather have all my teeth, a straight nose, and no patch over my eye. You mention moto X...I don't think they wear that stuff just to look cool.

mtbr member
    two more options, in the lighter/more ventilated side of things:

Met Parachute:

Casco Viper:

solid gold plated
    this is true, i must preserve my pretty boy face, i shall hence forth no longer ride my bike, only look at it!

i get what your saying though tnc, just id hate for someone to have the mistaken impression of me on my bike, with a fullface helmet, they might expect a little skill, ability or balls, not just hucking off kerbs
    a message of inspiration from your friends at yoplait, fruit on the bottom, hope on top!

Feb 2007
    Im ridin with a Bell Bellistic, I like it so far except i have big a$$ ears, can be a pain sometimes. My ridin buddy has a deviant, he loves it. Got the bell real cheap. Want to save what little good looks i have thats why i ride full face, but were in AZ, and its gettin hot, after the last ride im lookin at those fox flux, anybody use one of those, any feedback?

Just roll it......
    Quote Originally Posted by GETSTUPID
    but were in AZ, and its gettin hot, after the last ride im lookin at those fox flux, anybody use one of those, any feedback?
    I've got a Giro Xen and it's nearly identical. Depends on what fits your head better. I've been riding Bell's for 14 years and the Xen fits me great, so I went with it.

FWIW, I have used the Xen when I screwed up a gap and smacked the back of my head on a rock. It broke the helmet and I was foggy for a little bit, but that extra area on the back saved my arse.

EB

SamIAm
    i roll with my 661 full bravo, but around where i ride its a ridiculously long continous uphill followed buy a ridiculously fast crazy dh. so i just carry it up on my back with my pads. but as long as im moving the helmet vents quite well.
    <(*-*<) Go Ride (>*-*)>

BrassBalled DropbarNinja
    yupp... i ride with a FF all the time... Used to wear a Pryme, but the fit didnt do well for me... Then i went to a Giro Mad Max II... fits much better though it's slightly hotter... But it's nice and doesnt move... The cheekpads hold the helmet snuggly in place...

Members who have read this thread: 0