All Mountain Helmet that glasses can sit on top- Mtbr.com
    yohyatt
    Mar 2009

All Mountain Helmet that glasses can sit on top

It seems I'm on a epic search for the impossible.

I just bought a POC Trabec and realized my glasses don't fit in the vents and stay on top when they are not covering my eyes.

I guess I steam a lot and glasses fog, so most of the time, (at least when under canopy) I put my glasses on my helmet.

I have a GIRO variant but i don't like the fit or coverage - so I'm trying to get a new helmet.

Any suggestions?

mtbr member
    Jersey Pocket?

yohyatt
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by 006_007 View Post
    Jersey Pocket?
    well most of my jerseys do NOT have pockets, but that's a good idea. A few of the long sleeves do in the back but I'd be afraid my glasses would break under my 25lb toolbox/backpack.

beater
    I hang mine on my sternum strap.

yohyatt
    Mar 2009
    Yea I hear you on that (hanging them) but there's a lot of the time where I'm not just climbinga smooth trail or fireroad and there's quite often a few quick jolts that might make them fall off - like hopping over a log or dropping a ledge etc.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by yohyat View Post
    Yea I hear you on that (hanging them) but there's a lot of the time where I'm not just climbinga smooth trail or fireroad and there's quite often a few quick jolts that might make them fall off - like hopping over a log or dropping a ledge etc.
    that EXACT logic is why I wouldnt have them on top of my helmet either.

Get a microfibre sunglass pouch and attach it to your packs shoulder strap or waist strap if you need them nearby.

yohyatt
    Mar 2009
    believe it or not, they are very secure on my helmet that im using. i just don't like the helmet. i might be able to fling them off if i tried to but under general riding conditions, every 10 min i give a quick tap to them and most of the time they haven't even slid forward a bit.

the pouch is a good idea. im imagining that it might flop around a bit on the should on a typical trail, unless secured at both ends. maybe if i sewed the bottom to it?

anyways - open to suggestions on helmets if any of you have any.

mtbr member
    Whatever helmet fits your melon is the best helmet.

Myself I really like the fit of POC and GIRO helmets, Bells and Foxs do not fit my head as nice.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    believe it or not, they are very secure on my helmet that im using. i just don't like the helmet. i might be able to fling them off if i tried to but under general riding conditions, every 10 min i give a quick tap to them and most of the time they haven't even slid forward a bit.

the pouch is a good idea. im imagining that it might flop around a bit on the should on a typical trail, unless secured at both ends. maybe if i sewed the bottom to it?

anyways - open to suggestions on helmets if any of you have any.
    I would look at different glasses that are less prone to fogging. I have 6-7 models and shapes. Some fog up easily, others hardly at all, especially if I slide them down my nose a bit. Mainly depends on how tight the lens fit to your face,
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

beater
    Depending on the shape/size of the earpieces, I can slip them through one of the loops in the strap (by a buckle, or in the elastic portion). They stay pretty secure that way.

I've never gotten mine to sit securely on a helmet.

One Gear
    I've found that Giro is one of the few manufacturers that have sunglass friendly vents. Take your glasses to the shop to try on helmets. Don't limit yourself to AM helmets either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    My glasses stay put on my 661 recon. I flip them upside down then insert into the vents. Like you, I check every once in awhile and so far, so good. Depending on bumps, they do move a bit, but have never fallen off. It also depends on the glasses. Currently, I wear Uvex with frames that hook around the ears.

Biker Boater Boarder
    I got a great solution for you.....sent me the Poc and you go buy yourself a helmet at the store...PS take your sunglasses when you shop this time?
    Adios,
    "Chaco"

Lots of kids tell me they want to be firefighters when they grow up, I tell them they can't do both!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by evasive View Post
    This.

But put BOTH arms through the strap/loop.
    Time wounds all heels...

Paste eater
    Try upside down and 'from the back' Works awesome on a xen.

Those of you hanging your shades on the 'sternum strap', are you riding trails or sidewalks?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails All Mountain Helmet that glasses can sit on top-dsc00674.jpg  

beater
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwind View Post
    Those of you hanging your shades on the 'sternum strap', are you riding trails or sidewalks?
    I'm climbing, and with them snugged into the elastic, as mentioned above. I can't stand climbing with glasses on my face. I've climbed Amasa Back like that plenty of times.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by evasive View Post
    Me too. I shove the arm in between the double back loop of the webbing. It holds them in tight.

yohyatt
    Mar 2009
    what is the double back loop, and webbing. any pics pleaase?

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    what is the double back loop, and webbing. any pics pleaase?
    The helmet straps.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Members who have read this thread: 0