All-day chamois liner for us fat-bottomed grrls ...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2016

All-day chamois liner for us fat-bottomed grrls ...

225 lbs, 5'7", and not a grrrl. Just a giggle for Freddy fans. ;-) I have sensitive skin. 50 years of moto riding has blessed me with scar tissue under my sitz bones. I've been carving sitz-bone divots out of new moto seats for a decade.

I've tried many brands & models of chamois liners & they sucked. I needed better-padding for any chance at lasting through "all-day" rides on my Mtbs. WTB Speed ProGel is best saddle I've tried so far. Know of a better one?

Read recent liner thread & learned of 3 liners claiming to be good for 3-4 hours or more. I bought 'em, washed 'em, & wore 'em 2-3 times each so far. Here is a comparative review:

All-day chamois liner for us fat-bottomed grrls ...-i-3trlzs3-xl.jpg
    Their KoolAids

All-day chamois liner for us fat-bottomed grrls ...-i-2qfvxqq-xl.jpg
    Sugoi RS Short

All-day chamois liner for us fat-bottomed grrls ...-i-mw4qcth-xl.jpg
    Zoic Carbon Liner

All-day chamois liner for us fat-bottomed grrls ...-i-8hvnxcs-xl.jpg
    Club Ride Woodchuck

All three are way-more comfortable than the cheap Amazon liners & others I've tried. All are 8-9" inseams that I prefer. Interesting differences though.

Chamois density: 1st - RS, 2nd - Woodchuck, 3rd - Carbon
    You can feel the density differences with thumb presses & 2-hour rides. Firmer the better for us FBGs.

Body material smoothness to skin: 1st - Carbon, 2nd - RS, 3rd - Woodchuck
    Carbon & RS are close & smooth. Woodchuck weave is coarser & not as smooth. All after 3 washes.

Seams located in Thunder-Thigh(tm) Zone: 1st - Carbon (no seams), 2nd - Woodchuck (1 seam), 3rd - RS (2 seams)

Quality of Construction: 1st - Woodchuck, 2nd - Carbon, 3rd - RS
    Woodchuck & Carbon are similar, with better & more dense stitching at chamois. RS uses thinner & less dense stitching. A closer look at RS will reveal stitching unraveling after 3 washes.

My skin prefers the Carbon material, and my bottom prefers the RS chamois. (Sigh)

Is there anything better out there I've haven't found yet? Thanks!

Catfish ...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by motocatfish View Post
    I'd try a Selle Anatomica saddle. You may find that negates the need for padded shorts entirely and if not may make it such that any of the shorts you try work fine. They really are incredibly comfortable.

Talk to them and they'll suggest the best model for you. In terms of your weight and the riding you do.

To give you some perspective I used to have issues lasting a week of normal riding on a road trip without being in agony. I can ride a SA saddle twice a day for 3 weeks without any padded shorts and have no discomfort down there at all.

My GF had saddle issues so we got her a SA saddle and now she's happy all the time.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Ride More - Suffer Less
    I would agree a different saddle may be in order....if your happy with the soft tissue area that is a huge accomplishment. Sit bones can be addressed with a different saddle, but as you know that is a whole nother can o worms.

The zoic carbon is my go to liner these days...

Captain One Lung Administrator
    I only have 4 chamois (Novara, Canari, Zoic and Giro? Bib) and I always go for the very first one I bought which came with REI Novara Sweep shorts. I ditched the shorts after a few months because they are so short and kept the chamois. I keep waiting to catch the shorts on sale so I can get more, and ditch the shorts. lol Or I can call Novara and find out if they sell them seperately. The damn thinng still looks new!

https://www.rei.com/product/893337/n...ke-shorts-mens

*edit* and they no longer sell them. Damn!

high pivot witchcraft
    Pearl Izumi shorts and Castelli bib shorts have served me very well. Also 2XU compression biking shorts. I have others but those are the best I have and what I have been going to over last couple of years.

They all get lots of use commuting and in the mountains and have all held up fine.

In terms of the quality of the chamois, all 3 are very good, although there are definite differences. The Pearl Izumis are the thickest. The Castellis are by far the highest quality. I still marvel at how well they are constructed and how much thought went into their design.

I get a lot of years out of my biking clothing and for chamois shorts, I do not screw around. Ass comfort for me is priceless. I have always bought the absolute best shorts available. For example, the Castellis retail for well over $300, although I got them on a blowout for a little over $100.

For winter riding I have a pair of Mavic tights that have a chamois. I like those as well, although their design and construction is not in the same league as the Castellis.

If you are ever contemplating buying Castellis, go BIG on the sizing. The largest roadies in Italy would be a size small in North America.

mtbr member
    You should try some bibs some time... even more comfortable without the waistband. Also make sure the fit is right. They are supposed to be second-skin tight, with minimal bunching of loose material. Might also want to add chamois cream... I never ride without it.

I like a more dense foam chamois, and a pretty firm saddle, with minimal padding. Finding the perfect fitting saddle is a quest all its own, but the key ingredient.

mtbr member
    I agree with the road bike bibs. Then wear baggy shorts and a shirt over them. The only negative is when it's time to take a leak.

I subscribe to the firm and thin padding.

high pivot witchcraft
    Quote Originally Posted by laurenlex View Post
    I agree with the road bike bibs. Then wear baggy shorts and a shirt over them. The only negative is when it's time to take a leak.

This is what I do as well. And yes. The leak based negative is a HUGE negative for me. Especially with those skin tight Castellis. Major bullshit involved. For me at least. But yeah - I always wear my Sombrio baggies over whatever lycra lameness I am wearing underneath, bib or otherwise.

Supposed to be a link here:

Aerotechdesigns.com - Aero Tech Designs‎

https://www.aerotechdesigns.com/
    I ncredibly
    M yopic
    B ackstabbing
    A ssholes

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    I'd try a Selle Anatomica saddle. You may find that negates the need for padded shorts entirely and if not may make it such that any of the shorts you try work fine. They really are incredibly comfortable.
    My GF had saddle issues so we got her a SA saddle and now she's happy all the time.

Thanks for the S.A. info. Had not found them yet. Very interesting design!
    (https://selleanatomica.com/collections/h-series)
    The H1/H2 series are rated up to 250 Lbs. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by TraxFactory View Post
    I would agree a different saddle may be in order....if your happy with the soft tissue area that is a huge accomplishment. Sit bones can be addressed with a different saddle, but as you know that is a whole nother can o worms.

The zoic carbon is my go to liner these days...

I have SO MANY uncomfortable Mtb saddles I've tried. Yes, I'm referring to Mtb saddles.

I have a Serfas eGel DDMD-200 saddle on my road bike
    (https://www.amazon.com/Serfas-DDMD-2.../dp/B00J08DB7M)
    and its good for 3-4 hours with most any chamois liner ... BUT its too wide to maneuver myself around/behind on the Mtb. Grrr...

Although I didn't actually say it, the Zoic Carbon is my favorite chamois liner of this comparison.

I don't seem to get lingering or bad perineum-pain issues with saddles having the centered "slot". :-) My thighs may finally need some butta if not wearing a Z-Carbon though.

Thanks everyone for your replies. Any more FBG chamois-liner or saddle clues are appreciated! :-)

Catfish ...

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by life behind bars View Post
    Supposed to be a link here:

(https://www.aerotechdesigns.com/)

WOW! Hadn't heard of these either, and they make several liners for us FBGs!

Thanks! :-)

Catfish ...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by laurenlex View Post

I just wanted to point out that "liner" bibs have a sewn in flap for pitstops. Liner bibs are much more breathable than regular road bibs. Been pleased with my PearlIZumi pros.

Mudhorse
    Quote Originally Posted by motocatfish
    I can't comment on liners 'cos I wear padded bib shorts, but I feel your buttage pain, motocatfish. I used to have issues with the lower half of me going numb after about 3-4 hours but fixed that by fitting a saddle that suits me (after going through several saddles it was the Charge Spoon that finally worked). That enabled me to up my riding time to 5-6 hours without any numbing, but then I started developing callouses in the sit bone areas, which then started to get sore and painful. I managed to cure the callous issue by applying chamois cream to the sit bone areas before a ride: now I'm peachier than ever. I use the aptly-named Assos Chamois Crème, of which there is a female-specific variant though I'm not sure what the difference is [cynic mode] (pink graphics, different fragrance, higher price?)[/cynic mode]. A little goes a long way and it really is effective. Other brands are available etc.

If chamois cream doesn't cure the existing callouses (luckily it did for me) then maybe a scar-reduction cream might be in order. Every now and then I get an old scar that decides to start playing up (itching, scabbing, prolapsing veins) and a bit of scar cream buffs that right out.

As an aside (asside?) I broke a left buttock last summer - snapped a saddle rail and had to limp home on one buttcheek. My body did not take kindly to this and I had a painful muscle knot in one hemibutt for weeks and weeks. What eventually cured that was more bike riding, particularly on my old beater bike with its wide saddle. I'm very glad I was able to fix that myself, I thought I was going to have to admit defeat and taint the relationship with my physiotherapist.
    Hose me down till the water runs clear.

high pivot witchcraft
    Quote Originally Posted by Grassington View Post
    I can't comment on liners 'cos I wear padded bib shorts, but I feel your buttage pain, motocatfish. I used to have issues with the lower half of me going numb after about 3-4 hours but fixed that by fitting a saddle that suits me (after going through several saddles it was the Charge Spoon that finally worked). That enabled me to up my riding time to 5-6 hours without any numbing, but then I started developing callouses in the sit bone areas, which then started to get sore and painful. I managed to cure the callous issue by applying chamois cream to the sit bone areas before a ride: now I'm peachier than ever. I use the aptly-named Assos Chamois Crème, of which there is a female-specific variant though I'm not sure what the difference is [cynic mode] (pink graphics, different fragrance, higher price?)[/cynic mode]. A little goes a long way and it really is effective. Other brands are available etc.

If chamois cream doesn't cure the existing callouses (luckily it did for me) then maybe a scar-reduction cream might be in order. Every now and then I get an old scar that decides to start playing up (itching, scabbing, prolapsing veins) and a bit of scar cream buffs that right out.

As an aside (asside?) I broke a left buttock last summer - snapped a saddle rail and had to limp home on one buttcheek. My body did not take kindly to this and I had a painful muscle knot in one hemibutt for weeks and weeks. What eventually cured that was more bike riding, particularly on my old beater bike with its wide saddle. I'm very glad I was able to fix that myself, I thought I was going to have to admit defeat and taint the relationship with my physiotherapist.
    Hahaha! Nicely done.

Sorry to hear about all your horr-END-ous cat-ASS-trophes.