Affordable Full Face Helmets- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2015

Affordable Full Face Helmets

Looking to buy a full face helmet for all mountain stuff. Right now I'm mainly sticking to free riding but i'm getting to a point where I want to brave some of the 6-8 foot gap jumps and my confidence is outweighing my skill. Therefore I thought I would invest in some better protective gear! Also, I want to go downhilling for the first time this summer and thought of this helmet as an investment.

My budget is ideally around $50 (I know is not a lot but I don't need any carbon-fiber weight saving helmet) just something that has a good name and feels comfortable and in the end will keep me from turning into a pile of mush when i fly head over bars into a tree.

I was looking at the Bell Transfer 9 Helmet 2014, and the SixSixOne Comp Helmet 2014 which would both be great but wanted some more suggestions. I've got a 22in (55.8cm) head and ideally want something space grey or matte black (lol you don't need to research stuff for me, but if you do I appreciate it and you're awesome!).

For what it's worth I currently use a Bell Volt RL (road bike helmet) which is not meant to be worn for this type of riding...

mtbr member
    it's tough to find something at $50, but definitely around is doable! take a look at some of the options at sierra trading post, you can use a 30% off or even 35% coupon + active junky cash back that probably gonna bring the price close to your target budget!

here's one

Fox Racing Rampage Race Full Face Mountain Bike Helmet (For Men)

@njcshreds
    I'll say that I love my 661 Comp and it's treated me well the past few years. It's comfortable on my size medium head. I'm looking to replace it after a tumble at the end of last season and you can find it close to your price range (close to...).
    Instagram = @njcshreds
    '17 Kona Big Kahuna
    '08 Kona Cowan
    '05 Kona Cowan
    '05 Kona Stab Supreme
    '06 Kona Lisa HT (hers)

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Altho not a "proper" full face helmet, consider the light weight very breathable MET Parachute.

With cheaper helmets, usually will be heavy and you will feel like a bobble head. Also hot.. and will be terrible for anything except downhill.

"Proper" full face helmets are good for crashing tho, as Ive had a few heavy stacks in my MET and its now busted.

9 lives
    It will be difficult to find a ff for $50. That being said , as others mention, cheaper helmets may have some drawbacks. Generally if you're buying from a reputable brand with proper safety testing, spending more will get you a lighter, more aero helmet.

Helmets are designed for one good impact. As long as you're fine, that's all that matters. No matter, the cost if you crash and hit your head, you're going to have to replace the helmet anyway.
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

Finally!
    My son wears the Fox Rampage helmet above. He loves it. Probably one of the least expensive FF helmets out there.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclelicious View Post
    Generally if you're buying from a reputable brand with proper safety testing, spending more will get you a lighter, more aero helmet.
    It's illegal to sell a helmet in the US or EU or Canada that hasn't gone through all the same safety testing. If a helmet is available for sale, you don't need to worry about the brand (unless you buy something from China on Ebay).

The difference between a cheap FF and an expensive one is usually more about fashion than function (since they're all for the most part the same). If you don't mind previous years leftovers...
    Kali Prana FRP Helmet
    (yeah, tastefulness isn't Kali's strong suit. I find their helmets comfortable though).
    661 Comp Full Face Helmet 2015 | MTB Protection | Downhill

ok, both of those were $60, so not quite on budget.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    very true about standards although full face helmets dont need to pass the chin bar test to be sold in the US.
    The chin bar test is astm1952

That 661 passes : CPSC, CE: 1078, AS/NZS 2063 certified protection

While the Kali Savara Passes: EN 1078 or CPSC, ASTM F2040, ASTM F2032, ASTM F1952

The kali Savara at Kali Savara Full Face Helmet | Kali
    is $10 more but a way better helmet the shell is fiberglass compaired to the ABS plastic they use to make the 661.

That kali prana is whole different deal...that thing passes ECE2205 and the DOT standard....Thats a moto helmet. still lightweight but a moto helmet

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Joules View Post
    It's illegal to sell a helmet in the US or EU or Canada that hasn't gone through all the same safety testing. If a helmet is available for sale, you don't need to worry about the brand (unless you buy something from China on Ebay).

The difference between a cheap FF and an expensive one is usually more about fashion than function (since they're all for the most part the same). If you don't mind previous years leftovers...
    Kali Prana FRP Helmet
    (yeah, tastefulness isn't Kali's strong suit. I find their helmets comfortable though).

ok, both of those were $60, so not quite on budget.
    Quote Originally Posted by El_Duderino View Post
    very true about standards although full face helmets dont need to pass the chin bar test to be sold in the US.
    The chin bar test is astm1952

That 661 passes : CPSC, CE: 1078, AS/NZS 2063 certified protection

While the Kali Savara Passes: EN 1078 or CPSC, ASTM F2040, ASTM F2032, ASTM F1952

The kali Savara at Kali Savara Full Face Helmet | Kali
    is $10 more but a way better helmet the shell is fiberglass compaired to the ABS plastic they use to make the 661.

That kali prana is whole different deal...that thing passes ECE2205 and the DOT standard....Thats a moto helmet. still lightweight but a moto helmet
    Except when it comes to a FF, only ASTM 1952 tests chin bar strength, so yes when it comes to FF helmets it matters what you buy.
    Ripley LS v3
    OG Ripley v2 handed down to son

mtbr member
    Helmets are not created equal. There's always been a ton of dissatisfaction with helmet test standards. Two helmets can pass the same tests, and one can be much safer and higher quality.

Finally!
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    Helmets are not created equal. There's always been a ton of dissatisfaction with helmet test standards. Two helmets can pass the same tests, and one can be much safer and higher quality.
    So true.

Another feature that ups the price besides fashion is comfort. I mentioned above that one of my boys has the Fox Rampage and it's a decent FF but my Giro is WAY more comfotable with removable foam for washing/replacing. But of course it was twice the price.
    Also I would never mail order something that needs to fit properly without trying it on first, in which case you should buy it where you wore it, but that is another conversation

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    With enough searching and patience you can get a good helmet that will protect your head very nicely. This helmet took me 30 seconds to find.
    $59 and free shipping!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by BluePitch View Post
    With enough searching and patience you can get a good helmet that will protect your head very nicely. This helmet took me 30 seconds to find.
    $59 and free shipping!

A ff without ASTM 1952 cert is questionable and why it's only $59.
    Ripley LS v3

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    A ff without ASTM 1952 cert is questionable and why it's only $59.
    He wants a $50 helmet? He didn't ask for a helmet that has ASTM 1952 cert for $50.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by BluePitch View Post
    He wants a $50 helmet? He didn't ask for a helmet that has ASTM 1952 cert for $50.
    It's someone with 6 posts, may not even know about the different standards. Doesn't hurt to educate someone.
    Ripley LS v3

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    It's someone with 6 posts, may not even know about the different standards. Doesn't hurt to educate someone.
    I agree.

I'm sure the OP had no idea about the standards. However, 661 is a reputable company that makes good helmets, while this one does not have ASTM 1952 cert doesn't mean it is not a good helmet. I'm not sure why it doesn't have the cert but it could be it didn't pass the chin bar test?

$50 is not gonna buy you the best protection for you head, however, it will offer protection beyond the Styrofoam and plastic helmets.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    no doubt it will offer way more protection than any open face helmet.

however the reason i purchased a ff (a met parachute) was because of a shuttle day at a bike park that said required the use of a ff.... not knowing how strict they were going to be I got a ff that passed the official tests.
    apparently not that strict, as my helmet wasn't looked at and there were people riding with open face helmets.

So something to consider is if you are planning to be doing bike parks or events/races that have a minimum requirement (and how strict they are to meeting those) maybe spending that extra $20 to meet those might be the better and cheaper option in the long run

mtbr member
    I must be super lucky I've just picked up a Bell Transfer 9 for 68/$97 it has all the certification I need.. I was going to buy the "661 Comp" because it was what I wanted, basic full face protection.. But the price I paid for the bell was just too good to pass up..!!
    I do try..!!