Affordable Full Face Helmet for DH or FR?- Mtbr.com

May 2004

Affordable Full Face Helmet for DH or FR?

Can anyone recommend an affordable, yet effective full face DH/FR helmet? I currently use a Switchblade for XC but I've heard in a different post that it may not be enough for more serious downhill stuff. I will be riding mostly Northstar and the surrounding areas for ski lift riding. Is the Switchblade enough or should I get dedicated downhill/freeride brain bucket? My ugly face can use all the protection it can get.

Cynical Bystander
    Specialized has some good ones for a good price. I have the 02 BMX helmet that I got on clearance for $55. The 03/04 are like 80-100 I think. It's nice and comfortable but very heavy and not the best ventilated. Otherwise check out some of the Vigor ones, those seem to be nice and well priced.
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

Turns out that five years of not mountain biking, really makes one strive to get back to it.

May 2004
    Check this out, this may not be exactly what your looking for, but, i have one and it's like having titanium protection tound your head. its comfortable too. I like it, its only 45$ too.

(Sixsixone Full Face)
    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product.aspx?i=HE707A15

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyro
    Can anyone recommend an affordable, yet effective full face DH/FR helmet? I currently use a Switchblade for XC but I've heard in a different post that it may not be enough for more serious downhill stuff. I will be riding mostly Northstar and the surrounding areas for ski lift riding. Is the Switchblade enough or should I get dedicated downhill/freeride brain bucket? My ugly face can use all the protection it can get.
    661 Full Bravo - a good helmet - light, strong and with a removable liner you can wash...

http://www.beyondbikes.com/bb/ba/asp...1/ab/items.htm

May 2004
    The 661 Full comp is a great helmet for $80. It is light, well ventilated and strong. I broke one but only the foam cracked. I gave it to my buddy, hope he uses the other side!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    go to your local motorcycle shop and they will probably have some inexpensive, or on sale, full face helmets for less than $100 that are DOT/SNELL rated.
    be sure to get a SNELL rated helmet because if you are riding at the ski area, and riding at speeds at and over 40 mph in the vicinity of rocks and trees, you will be really glad to have it if you ever need it.