Affordable bib shorts- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Affordable bib shorts

Iíve done some searching but havenít came up with much. Iím looking for a decent bib short with a good chamois at a reasonable price. Letís say, under $125. I just got a pair of aerotech designs bib shorts for Christmas and in 3 shorts months the chamois is pretty much non existent. Just purchased a new pair of zoic either shorts with the removable liner and the chamois seems really solid but I wonít wear anything but bib shorts under my baggies. And unfortunately zoic doesnít make bib shorts. Iím looking for something that will be good for 3+ hr rides. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Art's cyclery has some good deals on specialized swat bibs and shorts right now. I have 2 swat bibs and the chamois is great.

mtbr member
    I got these:
    https://www.voler.com/browse/product/li/1110686

about 5 months ago, currently my favorite bibs. Chamois is enough but not too much, and the wide, non-silicone leg bands are really nice.

They have some sale options for less money if you don't mind stupid-looking colors. I guess for a liner it wouldn't matter.

mtbr member
    Unless you also road ride, I'd be looking for LINER bibs. Much more breathable, hence you have to wear shorts over them, and they generally have pockets on the back, and a front flap for easy pitstops.

I've been happy with my Pearl Izumi liner bibs, and can be found for $100 or less. I think the PI bibs fit/construction is better than Voler or Aerotec stuff, but jmho.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Streetglider08 View Post
    Iíve done some searching but havenít came up with much. Iím looking for a decent bib short with a good chamois at a reasonable price. Letís say, under $125. I just got a pair of aerotech designs bib shorts for Christmas and in 3 shorts months the chamois is pretty much non existent. Just purchased a new pair of zoic either shorts with the removable liner and the chamois seems really solid but I wonít wear anything but bib shorts under my baggies. And unfortunately zoic doesnít make bib shorts. Iím looking for something that will be good for 3+ hr rides. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    SWAT bibs. Pointless to get bibs without pockets IMO.

Sent from my SM-G935S using Tapatalk
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for ďI suck at brake control.Ē Hereís a free tip: get better."

mtbr member
    Serious question. What advantage would I gain by having bibs with pockets if Iím already wearing a jersey with pockets? The liner idea is good but I think there may be times when racing where I wonít wear baggies over them. The Endura bibs look decent. But would like some references for bibs that people are actually using.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by d365 View Post
    Unless you also road ride, I'd be looking for LINER bibs. Much more breathable, hence you have to wear shorts over them, and they generally have pockets on the back, and a front flap for easy pitstops.

I've been happy with my Pearl Izumi liner bibs, and can be found for $100 or less. I think the PI bibs fit/construction is better than Voler or Aerotec stuff, but jmho.
    Speaking of fit, thatís one thing I always hate about my aerotech bibs. They ride up my junk. I actually thought they were womenís the first time I put them on. I canít imagine that all bibs fit that way.

mtbr member
    I can't speak to the swat bibs, they are totally different concept, but the PI liner pockets are the same placement as jersey pockets but better.... they hold the contents much more secure. Like a full water bottle for instance, it doesn't move at all - no bouncing or dragging down on your neck like a jersey can.

I also found that I just prefer the extra slip plane that a pair of shorts provide, not to mention a little protection for the bibs YMMV. I also have a set of PI ProCool bibs (or some name like that) that I like a lot for the road bike, and were reasonable price. My older Castelli bibs were my fav, chamois wise, but they were more expensive.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Always great deals on some high-end shorts and bibs at steepandcheap.com
    Anthem Advanced
    ECR

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Some friends have used this lot - their main line of kit is good so I'm going to give these cheaper shorts a try
    https://www.theblackbibs.com/

mtbr member
    I'm looking for bibs with a little thicker/tougher fabric than the typical road bibs. I have some older bibs from PI and Endura that are really good in this regard but haven't found anything similar lately.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Ultra Bibs from Performance were recommended (asked the same question as you). I can get 4 or 5 hour rides comfortably. On sale they go ~70 bucks.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle View Post
    SWAT bibs. Pointless to get bibs without pockets IMO.

Sent from my SM-G935S using Tapatalk
    Agreed. Just bought my first pair of SWATs and i dont think i will own anything other than these

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by TooTallUK View Post
    Some friends have used this lot - their main line of kit is good so I'm going to give these cheaper shorts a try
    https://www.theblackbibs.com/
    Just to update. I had my first ride in these today. Great compressive fit, comfy for 30 miles. I'll see how they are after a wash and report back.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TooTallUK View Post
    Just to update. I had my first ride in these today. Great compressive fit, comfy for 30 miles. I'll see how they are after a wash and report back.
    Just got mine in the mail yesterday. They seem very snug. Not sure if thatís how they should be or maybe I should size up

Dave's not here.
    I am thinking of trying these out. They're new, so I am sure no one has any experience with them. Might be worth a try with the 25% off going on right now.
    Yo no hablo inglťs

Quote Originally Posted by MiWolverine View Post
    I am thinking of trying these out. They're new, so I am sure no one has any experience with them. Might be worth a try with the 25% off going on right now.

Garneau usually fit normal size humans a bit better than some other brands. Check their sizing chart.
    I ncredibly
    M yopic
    B ackstabbing
    A ssholes

mtbr member
    I wear Pearl Izumi. I have two pairs that I rotate and they've been good for 3 years now and still going strong. Maybe longer than that. I can't even remember how long ago I go them. Definitely 3 years. Maybe 4 years.
    Super snowflake = when an avatar offends you so much you have to cry about it and report it to admin. Life must suck for you.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    I like Castelli for bib shorts. The endurance can be had in your price range. I have 2-3 pairs of them. I have worn them on 200k+ long brevets.