Adio shoes....My crazy toe....And a question...- Mtbr.com
    Want Smiley Sauce w/that?

Adio shoes....My crazy toe....And a question...

Ok, so I'll start with the toe since the my other questions require that I preface them with that info, and because that's probably why you clicked on this thread in the first place.

I dropped a lead plate on my big toe in 8th grade art class. Now the nail is attached to the nailbed farther back on the inside edge of that toe. Any time I wear shoes that are too crowded at the toe, my second toe puts pressure on exactly the wrong spot, it becomes ingrown, and eventually it ends up infected, lots of pain etc...so I need some shoes for my platform pedals that are nice and roomy. I'm probably going clipless (if I can find shoes that work) later this year, but I've been wearing these Avia tennis shoes since I got the bike which have grooves in the tread which are, strangely, just perfect for my pedals. But I need to replace them and I've been looking at skate shoes. I like my shoes white (not necessarily clean, just white) and am just not crazy about the women's mtn. biking shoes I've found. I was thinking about these. You think they'd work? I'm doing some tough trails but haven't gotten into the jumping and big ledges yet so I thought something with a soft sole and ridges would do the trick. Does anyone else wear Adios on the trail?

I like the look of their shoes but also like the name -- "Adio" is Greek for "see ya".

And...how well do skate shoes grip platform pedals?
    Lose it? I didn't lose it. It's not like, "Whoops! Where'd my job go?" I QUIT. Someone pass me the asparagus."

Hardtail Warrior
    I use my old adios on the trail. I have very few problems with them. Once in a while I'll lose my pedal and they aren't the best shoes you could get for hike a bike sections but overall they're decent. That's just me though. I think every shoe has a little different tread pattern and whatnot. I use Hamilton's and my pattern is a lot different than that. Those white shoes will be dirty quick lol.

Yeah, the Avias were great for the hiking sections. I just can't do the black shoe and sock thing. As a woman I feel like an old guy who went wandering outside without his pants. The tennies show all the adventures you've had, which I kind of like. Red soil from Sedona, then new dust in Moab. I just power spray them at the car wash when I wash my truck, ha....Actually the worst part is when they're new and bright white. I look like a girley girl who took a wrong turn on the way to the spa.

Are all shoes with that rippled sole using the same kind of rubber on the sole, or are skate shoes different from, say...basketball shoes in terms of the grippiness of the tread?
    Lose it? I didn't lose it. It's not like, "Whoops! Where'd my job go?" I QUIT. Someone pass me the asparagus."

mtbr member
    If no one else will say it, I want to see your toe.

mtbr member
    The shoes in your link look like they would work pretty well.
    The waffle tread in the front is similar to Vans my personal favorite..
    The pins of the pedals fit into the holes in the waffle soles and grip pretty well.

As for the width of Adios I have no idea.
    I have fairly wide feet and have been wearing Vans since the 70's without a problem.
    If you don't mind wearing running or hikers, New Balance sells shoes in wide widths and you could probably find them in white..
    Last edited by mcrumble69; 05-28-2008 at 09:18 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Dont wear running shoes on bikes, I find the tread is a lot harder, and slips off my (metal) pedals (even with those nib spike thingies) a LOT more easily when wet..

I actually need shoes in a "B" width but I think D's might be ok if I just lace them tighter. I think the ideal would be to find a tennis shoe that fits great first that also has the right tread.

I like black shoes in the winter when the legs aren't bare and love the look of the Lake three-season shoe. But for summer, the black socks with shorts thing...It's like the pink bike thing. Can't do it. I've got a block....

Thanks for the input, the search continues.

Quote Originally Posted by Lumbee1
    If no one else will say it, I want to see your toe.
    Your avatar made this that much funnier. I went into yahoo pics to find a pic of some scary infected toe so I could tell you to be careful what you wish for, and um, yeah...not a good move. I had to bail. Now I'm gonna have toemares.

Members who have read this thread: 0