Adidas Terrex Cross Trail SL reviews????- Mtbr.com
    Short-Change-Hero

Adidas Terrex Cross Trail SL reviews????

Anyone had any time on these yet? Always loved adidas shoes as they have always (at least for soccer) fit my flat and wide-ish feet very well. I have a pair of MY15 5.10 Freerider VXi but the only thing I dont like about them for normal wearing is that the ball section of the foot is smooth and thus I occasionally slip/slide on them.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by gregnash View Post
    Anyone had any time on these yet? Always loved adidas shoes as they have always (at least for soccer) fit my flat and wide-ish feet very well. I have a pair of MY15 5.10 Freerider VXi but the only thing I dont like about them for normal wearing is that the ball section of the foot is smooth and thus I occasionally slip/slide on them.
    I've had them for over a year now and love them. Comfortable quick drying stealth soles good food protection for me they are great..

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Short-Change-Hero
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyDUK71 View Post
    I've had them for over a year now and love them. Comfortable quick drying stealth soles good food protection for me they are great..

Thanks... we have an Adidas outlet not far from us so I may take a ride up there to see if they happen to have them. Can you comment as to whether or not they are true to size? Depending on the brand I can where anything from a 10 to an 11, normally a 10.5 or 11 fits best.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    I'm a standard size 10 for me it fits perfectly but it would be best try it on.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    If it helps: I had to exchange size 10 for 9.5. For Five Ten shoes I take a 10 but the Adidas was just too big. 9.5 was perfect. They sent a pre-paid shipping label for the exchange so it was super easy to switch them out.

As far as performance, the shoe is much higher quality than anything from Five Ten and also a bit lighter. The sole has a really smart tread design, a lot like the Teva bike shoes were. IMHO Grip is just as good as Five Ten but they get holes in them just as fast. The little Adidas logos on the bottom came off in chunks by my 3rd ride.

mtbr member
    I have them too. They replaced some 5 10 free rides. Nothing wrong with the free rides but I just didn't love the skate shoe look. So I used them for winter slop rides and the adidas for good weather rides. They're great shoes. I still have them but don't wear them often because I switched to clipless pedals.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    I have a pair of Terex shoes and they are good quality. Definitely a step above sneakers. I use them relentlessly on the bike and even wear them to work. They are not as comfortable as my Merrell hikers, but super durable. Got them wet several times and no issues with quality. I got 11.5, next time I'll get a size 12.

B.Ike
    I found the rubber to not be as sticky as my freeriders.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I like the look of those shoes a lot more than anything from 5.10
    2016 Rocky Mountain Thunderbolt BC Edition
    2017 Rocky Mountain Blizzard -50
    2015 Giant Fastroad

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I saw a pair of Adidas outdoor shoes with Continental rubber sole the other day. I don't think it was for biking though

mtbr member
    I have the Adidas, and I love em. However, they do not match the five tens for all out grip - the stealth rubber is slightly harder and faster rebound on the Adidas, plus the sole is more rounded in shape for walking. If you use concave pedals, as most do, it's not a problem. All in all, I prefer the Adidas and wear the same size as in five ten.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    "So you think it's the hat?... A lot of people hate this hat. It angers a lot of people, just the sight of it." - Uncle Buck

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I have Terrex Solos with just the Traxion rubber and they blow Freeriders out of the water for a bike shoe even with the worse grip (the grip is still really good for not being Stealth). The best thing about the Adidas is they arent skate shoes, they are proper outdoor athletic shoes, the difference in hiking ability and weight is night and day. Its a shame people think the only shoes worth getting are Five Ten skate shoes, Adidas is making a MUCH better biking shoe for similar money.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    The fit is fairly high volume all around. Comfy heal cup for me. I found the top lace holes to be too. high up towards my ankle, digging in to the top of my foot at the top of the pedal stroke or on steep uphil hikes. I stopped using that set of holes, but that does make them feel a bit less secure on the foot, especially when combined with the high volum fit.

Good breathability and dry fairly quickly.

Moderator Moderator
    Good thread as I've been eyeing these for a year or so. I love 5.10 rubber, but their uppers are garbage. I wish Sidi would make some flat shoes with Stealth, but I digress. Is Adidas using the old Stealth? I can deal with that as far as stickiness goes.

Short-Change-Hero
    Adidas parent company actually owns 5.10 from what I have read, which is why they are able to use the stealth rubber. Good information from all and I do agree that the 5.10s that I have seem to feel a bit clunky, loved my SCOTT lace up clipless shoes, if they had those with stealth rubber for flats I would be all over them.

Hoping to get up to the Adidas store soon.

Moderator Moderator
    Ever since the sale a couple of years ago, I've been hoping to see more crossover, with stealth showing up in more Adidas products and improved shoe design in 5.10. 5.10s have improved to be sure, but I was expecting better.

mtbr member
    I for the life of me cannot find the Cross Trail SL on the Addidas site.
    I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not so sure.

mtbr member
    I'm an adidas fanboy. Here is a review by Enduro Magazine. They look nice. It would be cool if they made an Enduro SPD model with a top buckle like the Giro Terraduros.

Adidas Terrex Trail Cross SL Review | ENDURO Mountainbike Magazine

Adidas Terrex Cross Trail SL reviews????-adidas-terrex-trail-cross-sl-1-1140x760.jpg

mtbr member
    Did they change anything on the new ones besides the color?

Short-Change-Hero
    Article make one believe that the did some refinements to the new shoe that include, different sole, different upper (more breatheable), and a few other things. Doesn't make it sound like it is a huge difference but may be something worth going after if you are looking for new shoes.

mtbr member
    I wear the TERREX Swift R frequently and love them, lightweight, Gore-Tex and sturdy. On a bike I'm still on 5ten, but I love a Adidas...I rode my Salomon boots one the winter and scratched up my frame, so make sure you have clearance with whatever you wear..

Short-Change-Hero
    So the local adidas outlet does not carry these so I am going to have to order a set to see how they fit and whatnot.
    So two questions.....
    1. how is the fit? Normally wear a 10.5 (EU45) in most shoes but can go down to a 10 or up to an 11 depending.
    2. Colors? Seems like the only thing that anyone has is the brown version, I thought there was supposed to be a grey and then a blue/heather version??

mtbr member
    I just got mine off Amazon. The size 10.5 US was $99 and size 11 was $129. I wear a size 10.5 so I bought them and they fit good. Perfect length. I have a wide foot so the width is a little snug but should be perfect once they're broken in. Looks like their is only that one Umber color available.

mtbr member
    I have a pair that I use when my 5.10's are waterlogged and drying. I dont care for them, they just dont grip as well as the Freeriders and are bulky.

All my Freeriders have lasted multiple years. I have never had an issue with the upper coming apart or the sole pulling away form the upper.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Crooked Cop View Post
    I for the life of me cannot find the Cross Trail SL on the Addidas site.
    Adidas and Adidas Outdoor are separate entities, both owned by Adidas Group. Adidas stores do not carry Outdoor which is stupid, IMHO. The only distributor of Adidas Outdoor in the US is Agron.

Some Adidas Outdoor models can be found in Dick's and EMS, but not the Trail Cross SL, and in general their retail presence suck to say the least. REI sold Adidas Outdoor in the past, but not anymore.

I am still weighting should I try it by buying online or not (Five Ten fit never worked for me, painful for big toe when walking even 2 sizes up).

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    It appears this isn't something we can get in Canada

Short-Change-Hero
    Quote Originally Posted by kosulin View Post
    Adidas and Adidas Outdoor are separate entities, both owned by Adidas Group. Adidas stores do not carry Outdoor which is stupid, IMHO. The only distributor of Adidas Outdoor in the US is Agron.

Some Adidas Outdoor models can be found in Dick's and EMS, but not the Trail Cross SL, and in general their retail presence suck to say the least. REI sold Adidas Outdoor in the past, but not anymore.

I am still weighting should I try it by buying online or not (Five Ten fit never worked for me, painful for big toe when walking even 2 sizes up).
    Ah ok that makes a lot of sense why you really can't find them anywhere and it is a bitch to find them on the Adidas site.

Guess I am going to have to bite the bullet and just buy them, if I do it will probably be from Zappos since they have a great return policy.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    I stumbled into a pair of the blue ones here in Colorado at the skihaus in Steamboat. I don't know how many pairs they have but I took a size 10 off their hands.

https://skihaussteamboat.com/

I am not affiliated with them at all, but was surprised they had the blue ones in stock.

I love the shoes, very comfortable and almost as sticky as my freeriders.

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    The Adidas doesn't have the grip of my 5.10 freeriders. But they are superior in nearly every other aspect, fit, heel support, overall build quality. I use them on larger tours when I have to get off my bike and carry the bike on some parts.

Moderator Moderator
    Why do you think the grip is not the same? They both use Stealth afaik. Do the adidas have a stiffer midsole maybe? Thinner layer of rubber?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryman View Post
    Why do you think the grip is not the same? They both use Stealth afaik. Do the adidas have a stiffer midsole maybe? Thinner layer of rubber?
    I think it's the stiffer midsole. Maybe it's also partly the thread pattern but I found them to initially have less bite. If your pedals are the threaded pin style though there's not much difference. On other types of pins there's a little less grip.
    Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

Moderator Moderator
    Thanks for the input. I'm looking for these primarily for touring/bikepacking, so it's not super critical, but I would like at least close to the same level of grip for techy sections. I've got Atlas pedals which do have good pins, so it sounds like it wouldnt be an issue.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    The Freeriders stick and wrap more around the pedal. They have a less pronounced sole tread and as you and ghoti said the Adidas has a stiffer midsole.

On terrain the Adidas has a much better grip, especially on wet terrain, as they give stiffer support to the foot and have a different sole tread.

Water enters easier into the Adidas but they breathe better than the freeriders.

All in all for touring/bikepacking I would definitely try the Adidas. If they fit well.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    There so hard to find!!! i where a 8.5 or a 9 US Mens. So I'm SOL most of the time. Last time the showed up i went to get my card then was back on the site and they were sold out.

I'm a Adidas guy so being able to rock Adidas on the trail would complete my MTB Lifestyle 😊

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    How is the sizing on these compared to 5.10?

Anyone know where to find them still?

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    I went to REI the other day and tried on a pair of Five Ten Freerider Contacts. I'm a size 9 in Adidas. So I tired both the Men's 8.5 & 9 US and I do believe they share the same sizes at Adidas shoes. I can't wait to get mine! I'm going to place a order this week!!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Thread is a little old, but I'm loving my Terrex Trail Cross SL. I got them from Amazon for about $140 I think. They're the latest model mostly black with some white (for now) trim on the side of the sole. They are super comfortable (my feet are wide), seem very well built, are pretty water-resistant and dry quickly. They might not be quite as sticky as 510s, but I'm not doing anything extreme to the point where that really comes into play. I think $140 is totally reasonable for this kind of quality.

I had been using 510 Freeriders, but I was never in love with the fit or appearance, they soaked up water like sponges, and they were not very comfortable walking on pointy rocks (I think from getting wet so much, that material (seems like cardboard!) between the innersoles and outsole had totally deteriorated.

I greatly prefer these Terrex shoes. I like them so much, I'm considering stockpiling another pair for the apocalypse.
    Rigid bikes FTW!

Short-Change-Hero
    Quote Originally Posted by mike_of_earth View Post
    I stumbled into a pair of the blue ones here in Colorado at the skihaus in Steamboat. I don't know how many pairs they have but I took a size 10 off their hands.

https://skihaussteamboat.com/

I am not affiliated with them at all, but was surprised they had the blue ones in stock.

I love the shoes, very comfortable and almost as sticky as my freeriders.

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk
    Lucky bum!! They definitely did not have them there when I was there at the beginning July. Have family there so we normally ride whenever we go out there.

Ended getting a pair through Amazon for Christmas and feel they are so much more comfortable than my Freerider VXi. I dont know about them being any better or worse than the Freeriders, think that depends on the pedals that you are running. But I really like them and appreciate the orthopedic insole.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    the new 2018's are out, will definitely pick up a pair on the next AdidasOutdoor sale.

The old models were too heavy and bulky but these have fixed a lot of concerns for me. Just 1.7oz heavier than Freerider Pros but with Adida's build quality and fit? Yes.

Adidas Five Ten | TERREX TRAIL CROSS SL

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    I bought a pair of these for last season. I have mixed feelings-

THE BAD

They run BIG. I'm an 11 and they were definitely a full size too big. Ironically, my five ten access shoes (that I LOVE) ran small and are a 10.5.

They're HEAVY. Can't pull the numbers off the top of my head but they weigh quite a bit more than everything else I've owned from five ten, which are heavy enough already.

They're HOT. Don't expect any kind of ventilation.

Color selection is kinda weak. (if that bothers you)

I didn't find them to be comfortable at all.

THE GOOD

Souls are definitely nice and still for riding, while flexible enough for walking those places your bike won't go

I like the lace management.

They don't look like skate shoes (if that's your thing)

IN CONCLUSION

Would I buy again? Nope. In love with my five ten access shoes I got for this season.

Matter of fact, if anyone is a size 11 and wants to buy my Adidas, I have two pairs. The 11s only went on 2 or 3 rides. Bought them from someone who wouldn't take returns so I bought another pair in size 10. The 10s are pretty trashed. You don't want them. The 11s are still nice. Just a little dirty. $60 shipped right to your door. Hit me up.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by idividebyzero View Post
    the new 2018's are out, will definitely pick up a pair on the next AdidasOutdoor sale.

The old models were too heavy and bulky but these have fixed a lot of concerns for me. Just 1.7oz heavier than Freerider Pros but with Adida's build quality and fit? Yes.

Adidas Five Ten | TERREX TRAIL CROSS SL

Yep, I like those. I have last years and they are great but these look a bit lighter. Coming off of Five Tens the quality is so much better. I just wish the Stealth was just a little bit more sticky for the wet rides.

Short-Change-Hero
    Quote Originally Posted by dplevy81 View Post
    I bought a pair of these for last season. I have mixed feelings-

THE BAD

They run BIG. I'm an 11 and they were definitely a full size too big. Ironically, my five ten access shoes (that I LOVE) ran small and are a 10.5.

They're HEAVY. Can't pull the numbers off the top of my head but they weigh quite a bit more than everything else I've owned from five ten, which are heavy enough already.

They're HOT. Don't expect any kind of ventilation.

Color selection is kinda weak. (if that bothers you)

I didn't find them to be comfortable at all.

THE GOOD

Souls are definitely nice and still for riding, while flexible enough for walking those places your bike won't go

I like the lace management.

They don't look like skate shoes (if that's your thing)

IN CONCLUSION

Would I buy again? Nope. In love with my five ten access shoes I got for this season.

Matter of fact, if anyone is a size 11 and wants to buy my Adidas, I have two pairs. The 11s only went on 2 or 3 rides. Bought them from someone who wouldn't take returns so I bought another pair in size 10. The 10s are pretty trashed. You don't want them. The 11s are still nice. Just a little dirty. $60 shipped right to your door. Hit me up.
    Funny, I have the exact opposite of all your bad, aside from the color selection, and I was coming from Freerider VXi. Still loving mine, and they are getting better as they seem to break-in more. Not super keen on the color schema but whatever.

I'm with stupid
    just picked a pair of these to replace my worn out freeriders. I am not a fan of the skate shoe look so when I saw these at a Local shop in stock I grabbed a pair off of a "I will just try these" impulse buy. Hopefully after a bit I will remember to come back here and update how I like them.

DOOM
    I figured I could add something to the conversation owning a pair of these for a year.

I find the fit to be good meaning true to size. I have a wide forefoot and high arch and I don't find the Terrex Cross SL to be too narrow across the forefoot or too restrictive at the top of the arch.

Comfort is really good and they are as stiff as my old Impact VXi.

Durability is pretty good with the photos below being taken today after riding these shoes exclusively for a year at 3-4 rides per week on a mix of Chromag Scarab, Stratline Defacto, and Spank Spikes.

While there is wear on the forefoot I don't feel that this has hurt anything as far as grip or comfort goes.

Would I buy again knowing what I know now?

The answer there would have to be 'yes'.

Name:  IMG_20180603_091323802.jpg
Views: 3388
Size:  76.5 KBName:  IMG_20180603_091347352.jpg
Views: 3537
Size:  96.2 KBName:  IMG_20180603_091353578.jpg
Views: 3324
Size:  79.6 KB

Short-Change-Hero
    Nice review SilentG. And awesome to see some real world photos after a years worth of hard use.

With riding season in full swing here I am getting back into my riding schedule of 3-4 times per week and at least 10-14miles per ride. Just looking at my shoes now (have been riding them since January this year) I am just now starting to see some bite marks from my DMR Vault pedals just at the "STEALTH" line.

mtbr member
    Is anyone else finding the midsoles to become softer over time? Iíve had mine a year now and my feet are starting hurt while riding. Typically thatís a sign of too much flex in the sole.

mtbr member
    I've had the newest version since the beginning of the year. They are flat out everything I wanted my 5-10's to be. Well vented, dry fast and don't turn into sponges, sticky soles but not so sticky they fall apart and the sole hasn't become a wet noodle like my freeriders did. The fact the soles are trying to fall off or needed to be glued back is a huge step up from 5-10. For my normal riding they are perfect.

JNKER I have Bontrager insoles in mine and they have been great. I have a low arch and typically I pick up in the midsole thing pretty fast. My Freeriders were the worst for this!
    I like to fart when I'm in front of you on a climb:skep:

Short-Change-Hero
    Been riding mine since about December/January and have not had any issues with fatigue like you are talking about. Even on my recent race that has about a 3.5 mile slog up pavement then fireroad before you hit singletrack climbing they did not bother me. And I am SUPER sensitive about my feet and how shoes feel/fit.

txn
    mtbr member

Adidas Terrex Cross Trail SL reviews????

I just recently got a pair of the Terrex Swift Solos. They are light-weight, armored where they need to be, stiff enough in the midsole to handle a half day of riding, and the soles are pretty sticky. I used the hard in the last week hiking, scrambling over rocks, and trail riding. They stuck to the Chesters I was riding really well; canít wait to try them with my Wah Wah 2ís.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by txn View Post
    I just recently got a pair of the Terrex Swift Solos. They are light-weight, armored where they need to be, stiff enough in the midsole to handle a half day of riding, and the soles are pretty sticky. I used the hard in the last week hiking, scrambling over rocks, and trail riding. They stuck to the Chesters I was riding really well; canít wait to try them with my Wah Wah 2ís.

I've been contemplating the swifts, but was curious if they were any lighter. My primary problem with 510s and the SLs is they are like wearing bricks weight wise. With all the rage being aggressive trail and enduro these days you'd think there would be an offering geared towards lighter weight at the expense of a little of the bomber armor not needed.

I've even considered using a pair of my old indoor soccer shoes. They have a super grippy flat sole(non-turfs), a little protection built in, but are still light and not bulky. My only holdback is the sole is very flexible and would most likely give me foot cramps on longer rides.

Weight Info if anyone cares:

510 Impacts - 552g
    Free rider Contacts - 387g(I've seen a +/- 10g in different reviews)
    Terrex SLs - 460

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    Got a set of the Cross Trail SL about a month ago. Until today I was a big fan. They're more comfy than any Five Tens I've tried (Freerider, Impact VXI, Dirtbag). But today I ran into a problem...they DO NOT DRAIN. By the end of a very sweaty ride I felt like I went to the water park. Socks and shoes so squishy I could feel the sweat move between my toes every pedal stroke. Got back to the car and turned them over and each one had about 1/4 cup pour out. And before anyone asks, there were no water crossings. This was all sweat. Going to have to add drainage holes somehow...for now I'm not amused. The model I got looks like silentG's above.
    :nono: :thumbsup:

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by noapathy View Post
    Got a set of the Cross Trail SL about a month ago. Until today I was a big fan. They're more comfy than any Five Tens I've tried (Freerider, Impact VXI, Dirtbag). But today I ran into a problem...they DO NOT DRAIN. By the end of a very sweaty ride I felt like I went to the water park. Socks and shoes so squishy I could feel the sweat move between my toes every pedal stroke. Got back to the car and turned them over and each one had about 1/4 cup pour out. And before anyone asks, there were no water crossings. This was all sweat. Going to have to add drainage holes somehow...for now I'm not amused. The model I got looks like silentG's above.
    Those are the old version, the new version are like post #39. I've had no issue with the newer ones holding water of staying wet.

txn
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jahkneefive View Post
    Weight Info if anyone cares:

510 Impacts - 552g
    Free rider Contacts - 387g(I've seen a +/- 10g in different reviews)
    Terrex SLs - 460
    I weighed one shoe (size 10) at 240g.

That reminds me, they do seem to run long. I normally where 10.5 - even in regular Adidas - but I had to send the 10.5s back and get 10s.

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtrider76 View Post
    Those are the old version, the new version are like post #39. I've had no issue with the newer ones holding water of staying wet.
    I drilled 6 holes per shoe and they drain now. Still not amused, but at least my feet aren't sloshing around in a sweat puddle.

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    OK, so I have an update. I got the newer model suggested above. Count me in the fan club for these shoes.

Bonus points since I just saw Hans Rey wearing them. If they're good enough for him...

I'm with stupid
    I am a huge fan of mine. I really like that they are more like sneakers and less like big bulky skate shoes. I just did some big pedaling and walking miles on them doing the Big Mountain Enduros this year and they did great!

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Love mine !! Really comfy and hard wearing

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Is it the shoe's sole sufficiently stiff? After 20 years of clipless I'm moving to flats and my concern is to "feel" the pedal shape under my feet.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha4 View Post
    Is it the shoe's sole sufficiently stiff? After 20 years of clipless I'm moving to flats and my concern is to "feel" the pedal shape under my feet.
    Definitely nowhere near as stiff as many clipless shoes, but stiffer then your average sports shoe, and stiffer than 510s. I think itís a good compromise between stiffness and walkability. I still totally love these shoes.
    Rigid bikes FTW!

mtbr member
    Why do they have to have such ugly colors? I want to pick up a pair of these today but who wants orange shoes? I want to ride my bike, not join the freakin circus.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluegill View Post
    Why do they have to have such ugly colors? I want to pick up a pair of these today but who wants orange shoes? I want to ride my bike, not join the freakin circus.
    I was able to find the black/blue on Amazon.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by adept1 View Post
    Definitely nowhere near as stiff as many clipless shoes, but stiffer then your average sports shoe, and stiffer than 510s. I think itís a good compromise between stiffness and walkability. I still totally love these shoes.
    Thank you for your feedback.
    I've visited a couple of stores in my town but they weren't available.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluegill View Post
    Mine look cool. Mostly black with some white on the side. I think these might have been replaced with newer model/color now though. They seem like very tough shoes, so I'm expecting them to last several years.
    Rigid bikes FTW!

-C-
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I've been running the newer '18 ones since I think from the end of last year. In terms of quality, they are better than a FiveTen. The sole I feel is stiffer than the later 5-10's i've used.

The grip isn't as good as a the Impact VXi's, but then I assume it's not the softer Stealth rubber they use. This is good and bad IMO, as the soles on the Terrex hardly look worn in comparison to the Impacts, which probably would be reaching the point of having holes in & needing sticking back together. Sometimes I feel like I want the stickier soles when racing, and on rougher trails, but also the less sticky soles work great for just trail riding

I think they both have their place in my bike shoe box!

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I have a pair that's probably a year old? I really like them and they've worn well but its getting towards replacement time. Is anyone seeing these for less than $100?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokee300 View Post
    I have a pair that's probably a year old? I really like them and they've worn well but its getting towards replacement time. Is anyone seeing these for less than $100?
    I haven't, Adidas just had a big sale and I checked for them there and only in a few odd sizes.

To whoever was asking about stiffness they are stiffer than any 5-10 I've owned but not as stiff as my last Shimano or Bontrager endure style clipless.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I've owned two pairs of the Solos from different generations. I really like the first generation for biking. It's got the Stealth sole, a stiffer midsole and tongue and works very well. I have a second generation pair that I love for general warm weather outdoor wear, but they aren't quite stiff enough to be a good bike shoe. The feel good for short occasional rides, but wouldn't use them as a permanent bike shoe.

I'm not sure about the current generation, but if they're stiff enough, they look like they might be great for riding where you're off your bike a lot. The deeper lugs behind where you would have your pedals would be good for going downhill in looser, drier conditions. Both my generations have great grip on firm, but they're low profile soles so they're not the best when things get loose (though much much better than most dedicated bike shoes).

Edit: Looking at pics online, I think I have the Terrex Solo 1st gen and the Terrex Swift Solo in the second gen, so that probably explains the stiffness difference.
    Last edited by MarcusBrody; 09-04-2018 at 01:37 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokee300 View Post
    For what it's worth, I'd keep my eye on Sierra Trading Post. That's where I got both my generations of Solos and they were dirt cheap.

Edit: You're in luck if you're an 11. Sierra Trading Post currently has them for $80:
    https://www.adidasoutdoor.com/IUV83....shoes#start=70

If it was an 11.5 I'd have grabbed a pair.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I've tried a different adidas Terrex model in a shop and for me the midsole is too soft.
    Maybe the cross trail is stiffer but seems in any case not good for me.
    I'm still doing researches but for now the Bontrager Flatline may be my choice

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I've tried a different adidas Terrex model in a shop and for me the midsole is too soft.
    Maybe the cross trail is stiffer but seems in any case not good for me.
    I'm still doing researches but for now the Bontrager Flatline may be my choice
    The shoes in the Terrex are really nothing alike one another. It basically means they are outdoor shoes, but that's about it in terms of similarity. That being said the Bontrager is supposed to be a nice shoe, though I don't have any experience with it.

Rocks belong
    Stupid cheap on the Adidas website. Use CYBER2018 for additional 30% off.

https://www.adidas.com/us/terrex-tra...es/CM7562.html

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by 06HokieMTB View Post

Great find. These are a very good deal at $90 and an amazing deal at $63. Thanks for posting.

Moderator Moderator
    Awesome! A pair on the way

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Thanks! Ordered.
    Rigid bikes FTW!

Rocks belong
    Reviews for these shoes seem to be all over the map. Looking for honest opinions on the 2018 model (that I just ordered from their website during the amazing sale).

I also ordered a pair of Bontrager Flatlines on Cyber Monday (at significantly less of a discount than the Adidas).

My goal is the most comfortable, widest, flat shoe that is decently stiff for trail riding.

I am willing to sacrifice ultimate grip for better fitment of my wide feet.
    I like 'em long, low, slack and playful

Rocks belong
    Got mine in the mail.

Go off your EURO size (in my case 46). I wear 46 Wide Shimano bike shoes, size US12 running & hiking shoes.

Adidas labeled the 46 as a USA 11.5 and thereís plenty of room at the toe. They definitely run large by ďUSĒ standards, Iíd be comfortable recommending people to size down at least 1/2 US size.

Theyíre decently wide. Iím tough to fit as I donít need a wide toe box, rather my 5th metatarsal is very prominent (and further back than the average foot). Ski boot fitters call it ď6th toeĒ and I always have to have my ski boots punched at my 5th metatarsal.

I believe my Bontrager flatlines will be at my Trek LBS today, so Iíll make sure to compare. Going to try on some 5.10 Freerider Contacts for S&Gís as well. Just have to find the shoe that has the right ďshapeĒ for my weird feet.

Moderator Moderator
    Got mine too. They fit true to size for me, unlike 5-10s.

I rode them on my commuter today, it was 32 degrees, so hard to tell how well they grip the pedals compared to my impacts. I think they'll be perfect for what I bought them for, a do anything summer shoe for traveling and touring. If they become my main mtb summer shoe, great, if not, I won't be brokenhearted.

Rocks belong
    Today I tried Terrex, Freerider Contact and Bontrager Flatline. I brought the Terrex with me and the stores employees all keep commenting on how nice those shoes were.

The Adidas are the nicest, most supportive and best constructed of the three. Simply put, the Adidas Terrex Cross Trail SL are excellent shoes... unfortunately mine are going back. They donít fit my feet as well as I had hoped.

The Bontragerís were a joke. Flimsy, cheap, flexy sole, stiff/hard rubber on the bottom, not vented well and very little toe protection.

The Freerider Contacts simply fit the shape of my feet the best, so thatís what Iím keeping. I really, really wanted these Adidas to work.

mtbr member
    The Freerider Contacts simply fit the shape of my feet the best, so thatís what Iím keeping. I really, really wanted these Adidas to work.
    Ironically, this is the opposite for me. Freeriders did not fit my foot profile very well at all. The Terrex fit perfect.

Oh well. I think we may see more shoes from Adidas eventually.

Moderator Moderator
    Update after a few months of riding these and my Impacts. They definitely have a firmer feel, while the tackiness of the sole feels the same, the Impacts have a thicker and softer feeling midsole, so squash onto the pins more. The Adidas are thinner, lighter and slimmer overall, as well as vent better. Great shoes, I really like them. I also hike and just wear them around, something I wouldn't normally do in a cycling shoe.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Update after a few months of riding these and my Impacts. They definitely have a firmer feel, while the tackiness of the sole feels the same, the Impacts have a thicker and softer feeling midsole, so squash onto the pins more. The Adidas are thinner, lighter and slimmer overall, as well as vent better. Great shoes, I really like them. I also hike and just wear them around, something I wouldn't normally do in a cycling shoe.
    I should have a pair arriving very soon. I've been on first gen Terrex Solos, which as far as I can tell more similar to later Trail Cross models than the current, more flexible Solo. I hope these work as well for riding, trail work, and general wearing about in the vicinity of a bike as the older model has been pretty ideal for that (if not super well vented).

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    where did you find the trail cross? I found the newer terrex solo online but afraid to order if its softer then the absolutely perfect 1st gen's I'm replacing.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Sierra Trading Post has the Terrex Solo with Stealth soles for 69.95. The only difference I can tell is in the eyelet design, otherwise they look the same in terms of features and design. I just got home with a pair and can't wait to try them out. I went up a half size because I use Superfeet insoles which also stiffens the footbed a bit, though the stock insoles are actually pretty good for a change - stock insoles are almost always crap.

STP also has the Terrex Swift Solo w/ Stealth soles for 49.95. I tried them alongside the Solos and found the Swifts were a bit too minimalist for my liking; definitely lighter, but also even less stiff and less protection.
    Devinci Marshall Carbon 27.5+

Colorado Springs, CO

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by gfourth View Post
    where did you find the trail cross? I found the newer terrex solo online but afraid to order if its softer then the absolutely perfect 1st gen's I'm replacing.
    Jenson has them: https://www.jensonusa.com/Adidas-Ter...-SL-Shoes-2019
    Devinci Marshall Carbon 27.5+

Colorado Springs, CO

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    https://bikerumor.com/2019/06/22/fiv...th-freeriders/

Looks like the trail cross is getting a new life as a Adidas/fiveten combo. I'm actually quite impressed

Moderator Moderator
    Ooo, that hightop for backcountry trail work looks nice. I use trail running gathers now.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by gfourth View Post
    https://bikerumor.com/2019/06/22/fiv...th-freeriders/

Looks like the trail cross is getting a new life as a Adidas/fiveten combo. I'm actually quite impressed
    Those are actually quite intriguing. Look great too except the huge contrasting ugly 5.10 logo. Get rid of that shit and you'd finally have a normal looking trail/bike shoe!

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    The Trail Cross is showing on Amazon for about half price in limited sizes. Consistent with the idea that it's being discontinued as an Adidas shoe and moving to the 5.10 line.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Finally pulled the trigger on these from Amazon. The 2018 or 2019 model, same as post 39 but in black.

These things are stout. Stiff midsole, stiff upper. Not in a way that's uncomfortable, but like hiking boots.

I have been wearing trail runners to ride, but taking pains to pick ones with relatively flat soles to provide a pin surface. Thus, pedal traction hasn't been a big problem. The stiffness and protection I can see will be a vast improvement.

Also, riding is pretty hard on shoes in my observation, but these seem quite up to it.

No b/m shop ever has 5.10s in my size, so I have never tried them on. Are they generally this stout?