Adding visor to road helmet- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Adding visor to road helmet

Has anyone ever added a visor to a road helmet? I have an older (5 years or so) bell sweep r helmet that is very nice. I am now looking to add a visor to it for the trail. The new sweep has attachment plugs, mine doesn't but I was thinking that I could us good double sided foam tape or something to attach the visor. A replacement visor is like $5 vs. buying a new helmet. Thanks for any help you can give me.

mtbr member
    Industrial strength Velcro

local trails rider
    A hook and loop fixing sounds like the best idea, so far. Whatever you do, don't cut into the helmet, or melt it with aggressive glues.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    My thought was to trim the tabs off the new visor and attach it with a removable (in theory, anyways) type of adhesive. I like the Velcro idea, I will probably give that a shot. Thanks.

local trails rider
    My detachable visor occasionally gets bumped just enough to dislodge it. That is probably a good thing and prevents any permanent damage to the visor or the helmet.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    what is the best helmet band to buy to add a visor?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    or is it easier to buy one that is already put together?

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Holy Moly

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by lafd5246 View Post
    Has anyone ever added a visor to a road helmet? I have an older (5 years or so) bell sweep r helmet that is very nice. I am now looking to add a visor to it for the trail. The new sweep has attachment plugs, mine doesn't but I was thinking that I could us good double sided foam tape or something to attach the visor. A replacement visor is like $5 vs. buying a new helmet. Thanks for any help you can give me.

A five y.o. helmet likely needs to be replaced just because of the age and possible U.V. degradation. Seems like an opportune time to get yourself a nice new one.

banned
    Sep 2012
    I've seen some threads on Slowtwitch about this. A lot of guys were using the LG visor on their Giro helmets. I believe they were wedging them in between the foam and the shell. I wouldn't, but that's what some folks are doing.

It's all here : Sedona Trail l stores in Sedona AZ

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I like the velcro idea too. We all know the added precautionary safety and comfort of having a visor while biking under the sun.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    A five y.o. helmet likely needs to be replaced just because of the age and possible U.V. degradation. Seems like an opportune time to get yourself a nice new one.
    Honestly, probably not much u.v. degradation as shortly after I bought it I had a kid and didn't ride very much. I ordered the visor, $8 and will post up how the install goes. May be a goofy topic, but I just spent a lot of dough on a new bike, pack and pedals and I'm just trying to save a little green where I can.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Good brands of visor..

Just Ride
    I just picked up a giro helmet a few months back. Came with a detachable visor. I just leave the visor on regardless of riding mtb or road. I have 1 helmet used for both bikes. I see no need to remove the visor while riding on the road.
    SS ==> Nut up or Shut up!

mtbr member
    Why not just buy a cycling cap? Then you also have something to absorb sweat and keep it from dripping in your eyes...

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    That's what I did and it works better on and off road than a visor even ones that are adjustable 15 degrees like Giro or Bell. But some may not like that idea because the extra girth internally or pressure on their head can cause a "headache" like feeling.

Quote Originally Posted by AmericanTemplar View Post
    Why not just buy a cycling cap? Then you also have something to absorb sweat and keep it from dripping in your eyes...

Flow like water
    Double-sided tape might work, and would not hurt the polycarbonate shell.If you need extra strength, try to find some VHB tape from 3M. That is a permanent attachment, though.

Members who have read this thread: 1