abating wind noise while using helmet cam q..- Mtbr.com
    govt kontrakt projkt mgr

abating wind noise while using helmet cam q..

So I used the mic that came with the helmet cam my last road and mountain ride. Really the wind pickup is much too noisy. Even when mixing in a loud music soundtrack there are some times when the sounds the mic captures is what is desired for some of the production.

So my question to wherewolf, sirbikealot, mtbikebill et al is what do you use to cut down the wind noise--I imagine the mic is wrapped in foam or a sock or what? Appreciate all tips.

my set up--elura 65 DV cam (in the lexan box then placed in a camelbak mule), helmetcamera.com cam w/mike (mike attached via alligator clip to chest strap of mule) , pinnacle studio 9+ and assorted media to edit.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I have the same camera and you are correct, you need a wind sock. The method I use works very well, but wears out quickly. I took a form ear cover from a hands free cell phone device and zip tie it over the mic. Works great.

Chris

beer thief
    I seem to remember one of the video experts posting that you need to point the mike backwards also.

It's a Turner!
    I used to use a piece of foam over the mic, which worked fairly well. Now I have a piece of velcro covering it which lets in a bit more noise but I like the effect. I can turn down the volume when I edit. Check out my latest clips:

http://www.sirbikesalot.com/Pisgah2005/Pisgah2005.html

Quote Originally Posted by ArmySlowRdr
    So I used the mic that came with the helmet cam my last road and mountain ride. Really the wind pickup is much too noisy. Even when mixing in a loud music soundtrack there are some times when the sounds the mic captures is what is desired for some of the production.

So my question to wherewolf, sirbikealot, mtbikebill et al is what do you use to cut down the wind noise--I imagine the mic is wrapped in foam or a sock or what? Appreciate all tips.

my set up--elura 65 DV cam (in the lexan box then placed in a camelbak mule), helmetcamera.com cam w/mike (mike attached via alligator clip to chest strap of mule) , pinnacle studio 9+ and assorted media to edit.
    I didn't just drink the koolaid, I stuck my head in the punchbowl.

Silence! I kill you!
    I've got the same helmetcamera, and I actually clip the microphone to the handle on top of the camelback behind me. It still picks up everything I say, but the wind noise is cut out dramatically. In my videos I usually have the sound muted except for a funny/sarcastic comment made by a riding buddy, or unless someone crashes to get what they say.
    My photography website:
    Scott Mosher Photography

mtbr dismember

Foam and point backward

Put a piece of packing foam over the microphone and point it backward. That solved the problem for me. But a little bit of wind and trail sounds add to the video. For example, the video flattens big drops but at least you can get a sense of them if you hear the drop. You can also turn the volume down a bit on the audio track in the editing process. Personally, I think that totally removing the soundtrack makes for very sterile videos.

Edit: put the microphone on your helmet pointing backward.
    Last edited by Wherewolf; 11-18-2005 at 08:50 AM.

govt kontrakt projkt mgr

thanks all..

some good tips by everyone--
    I'll try and place some foam and redirect it to point backward.

Members who have read this thread: 0