661 or TLD Helmets?- Mtbr.com
    Gangbusters
    Jun 2007

661 or TLD Helmets?

Just a poll to see what you guys think is the better helmet Troy Lee Designs helmets or 661 (regarding Full Face DH protection as well as comfort on breathability)

mtbr member
    My first two DH helmets were 661's. Basic entry level one to start, then bought the Flight Hurricane. The Flight is a great helmet, but it is rather big, probably due to the Motocross styling. But, the upside is it has washable inners

However, I recently bought a TLD Carbon D2.

So, to answer your question.

TLD all the way

Gangbusters
    Jun 2007
    Will the MX helmets be too heavy/hot for DH? or is it better to go with the DOT approved?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mkrobert81
    Will the MX helmets be too heavy/hot for DH? or is it better to go with the DOT approved?
    Better for protection, worse for heat. I do see a lot of people running DOT helmets though, so it must not be that bad.

My arm hurts a little
    TLD All the way.

I had the 661 Full Bravo Carbon and it just sucked! I could almost fit both fist in the space between the chin bar and chin. I had a couple face sliders on that lid. One my face pushed out of the Helmet and I got a fat scab on the tip on my nose. The other I folded the Visor into my face almost breaking my nose. After that I bought the TLD and will prob. ware a TLD forever.

But they all do fit different, just the TLD fits me best.

Wow...Post 805 baby. I can't post for awhile now.
    Last edited by #1ORBUST; 08-01-2007 at 01:32 PM.
    Hardtail downhill
    https://youtu.be/sXhWDoz7_CM
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    tresspassing, thievery and poaching is all part of a DH'ers life

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I purchased a tld for the begining of the season without a doubt the best fullface dh non dot helmet money can buy

and on the upside you just look sweet rocking one makes you look like you konw what your doing even if you dont which is always nice

N* Bomber Crew
    Best non Dot helmet money can buy? Wow.

Or you could spend just as much for a TLD and get a DOT/Snell approved helmet from 661.

661 Flight, owns everything.
    Northstar 2008 Riding Crew

Broken and dizzy
    Yo, Raptordude, which Flight are you using? The Icon or the Hex? After the header I took up at N* recently, I need to replace my helmet. I've been using a TLD SE, but I get a decent break on pricing through 661. Just wondering how the fit and finish are of the Flights before dropping the coin. Thx!

My arm hurts a little
    Quote Originally Posted by Raptordude
    Best non Dot helmet money can buy? Wow.

Or you could spend just as much for a TLD and get a DOT/Snell approved helmet from 661.

661 Flight, owns everything.

Meh D.O.T., it's not like were riding sportbikes doing 150mph. I only see the need if I'm doing some Harry Super Hucks or something.

And Yah D.O.T. is an Honor system I hope you know. Helmet Co. don't report new helmets for testing. Your DOT helmet might be a fake.
    Hardtail downhill

N* Bomber Crew
    I use a 661 Flight Hurricane.

Dude, yeah so we might not be riding motocross bikes going 60 MPH, but taking a tree to the dome going pretty fast is still gonna hurt.

For the same price as a TLD, you get better certification, a helmet that looks sicker (At least I think so), better details and better features. Its the best helmet I've ever owned, and right out of the box I could structurally feel the certification differences versus a standard CPSC helmet.

So unless you own a DOT/Snell helmet and a standard certified helmet, I think you got about 0 credibility points.

My arm hurts a little
    So unless you own a DOT/Snell helmet and a standard certified helmet, I think you got about 0 credibility points.
    - I own Two Dot helmets. Dose that mean I have 100 credibility points??
    Hardtail downhill

mtbr member
    TLD all the way. Loved my D2 when I raced DH...light and breathed well and saved my bacon (errr...face) numerous times. I wore my old moto helmet when I first started racing DH, and it was pretty annoying.

N* Bomber Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by #1ORBUST
    - I own Two Dot helmets. Dose that mean I have 100 credibility points??
    No, its good to know. I just don't find what's so amazing about TLD helmets when you can buy a Dot/Snell moto approved helmet which offers more impact resistance than a standard helmet for relatively the same price.

And its not like they look or fit crappy either.

My arm hurts a little
    No, its good to know. I just don't find what's so amazing about TLD helmets when you can buy a Dot/Snell moto approved helmet which offers more impact resistance than a standard helmet for relatively the same price.

Hard to explain really......I just find them very uncomfortable on a bike, esp in rock gardens. I feel like one of those bobble head dolls yah know. Plus they always interfered with my riding pack because there so thick. But I can see after riding one for awhile you would forget all about that.

If u can stand a DOT helmet on a Bike, do it!! I've tried and it just dosn't work for me.

I just like the TLD because it feels like I'm not even waring a lid, I also have the carbon version, so it's crazy light.

Well I'm going riding.....watch, I'm smacking head 1st into a tree tonight.
    Hardtail downhill

Monte Su Bici Maldita

Not necessarily true. The DOT/Snell specs are to absorb certain types of impacts. And those are impacts taken when riding a Motorcycle. The specifications that helmets are made required to meet for DH requirements, are for impacts when riding DH.
    '06 Specialized Demo 8 II * '10 Specialized Pitch Pro * '09 Haro Steel Reserve * '70's Guerciotti SS

Gangbusters
    Jun 2007
    aNYONE ELSE OUT THERE HAVE INPUT ON THE D2 OR FLIGHT?

Monte Su Bici Maldita
    I don't own, or ridden with a TLD, but when I tried my buddy's on, it was about the most comfortable thing I have ever put on my head. It felt like it just hugged it. I'm going for one here soon.
    '06 Specialized Demo 8 II * '10 Specialized Pitch Pro * '09 Haro Steel Reserve * '70's Guerciotti SS

N* Bomber Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by mkrobert81
    aNYONE ELSE OUT THERE HAVE INPUT ON THE D2 OR FLIGHT?
    I'm all about the Flight.

Pros:
    Fits Well
    Looks Great
    Provides Moto Certification (Which Regardless Is going to be stronger than a DH Certification)
    Good Details and Manufacturing Quality
    Very Stiff and Strong

Cons:
    Its slightly heavier than your traditional helmet.
    Sub Par Ventilation

I really like my Flight. I was worried I would get too hot in it at Northstar but it actually isn't as bad as I first thought. I don't really have any complaints about it, its a rock solid helmet. I'd suggest getting one over a TLD.

Gangbusters
    Jun 2007
    okay going with TLD after some more research and got it down to these two:

SE-2 Helmet Warped, or d2 carbon any advice?

Broken and dizzy
    SE-2 all the way, but of course, that's just my opinion. I've been wearing the SE Lamson for about a year now and totally love it. Came off of two Giro MadMaxII helmets. Really no comparison between the two. The TLD's not as ventilated, but it sure as hell saved my head two weeks ago. As a multiple concussion vicitm, I'll never go back to a MTB specific full face. Moto all the way for me...

For those that say they're too heavy, go hit the gym and strengthen up your neck ya pussies.

mtbr member
    I have the 661 Flight.
    I used to have the D2. It was a great helmet.
    But to be honest, after wearing the DOT helmet, the D2 feels really flimsy. It was comfy and offered good ventilation though.

Only downside I have found with the 661 is that its a very large helmet, not nearly as streamlined as the D2.
    Quote Originally Posted by azdog View Post
    I think he was born around the time of the Chernobyl fallout which would explain a lot.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Another vote for the 661 Hurricane Flight! Well worth the money and slight weight penalty.

Members who have read this thread: 0