661 shoes- Mtbr.com

Thread: 661 shoes

mtbr member

661 shoes

has anyone ridden the launch or dually shoes? how stiff are the soles? toe box protection? what about their other kicks?

Feb 2004
    I wear their Dually Taki almost exclusively although I just bought a pair of the Descend Taki to try. The Dually are made in the Taki which is a "stickier" sole material...similar to rock climbing shoes.. or they are made in a SPD version. I've never used the SPD version. Both the Dually and Descend are a "high-top" style shoe as opposed to most cyclng shoes. The Dually are higher and offer more ankle protection than the Descend. I would rate the ankle protection as high...not armored, but nicely padded. The tob-box protection seems pretty good. I have also found that the Dually is a "wider" cut shoe that offers alot of comfy room where the Descends are cut tighter and offer more of a "performance" feel. I had to get the Descend one size larger than my Dually size otherwise they were so tight as to be uncomfortable.

Neither Taki soled shoe offers what I consider a stiff sole...especially compared to most cycling shoes. Really the sole stiffnes would be comparable to heavier running shoe. If I wanted a stiff sole shoe, I would not be happy with these. The fact that these shoes have pliable and sticky soles help them stick to flat pedals very well. They are extremely good if you end up pushing or hiking during rides...super comfy, especially on long rides or during rides that require good flexibility. I like my Duallys so much, I wear them daily and have bought three pairs

If you decide to pull the trigger, watch the six six one website...they go on sale about every other month. Dually SPDs are on sale right now.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I ran a set of 04' Duallys $ SPD Launches w/o any issues. Ordered a pair of 06' Taki's on-line and found the outer material too stiff which caused foot pain. Called 661 and complained about the stiff uppers... they exchanged the Taki's for a set of skate style Hammers - they also have the stiff uppers Going to buy only in store now.

Freeriding Feline
    I used to wear the Launch shoe but for platforms I feel nothing can beat the 5-10 Impacts.
    "If you give up your dream, you die."
    Twitter - KIKat1029

mtbr member

combo deal

jenson usa has a deal on candy pedals and the launch shoe for $70. i have some skate shoes i can use when i put the platforms on and some dedicated shoes for my spd-equipped xc bike. i don't want to have to change the cleats between the spd and crank bros. each time, so i was strongly considering the launch.
    thanks for the replies.

mtbr member
    I use the SPD launch's for my XC rides with Mallets, I find them plenty comfy and durable.

5.10's for the flats though, definitely.
    Tarekith.com

'17 Specialized Enduro Elite 29

Members who have read this thread: 0