• 08-13-2018
    Bills
    510 freerider contact fit issue
    So I finally got some actual MTB shoes. I had to size up from 10-11 for them to feel ok in the store, but did my first ride today and I think I need a wider shoe...... about 8 miles in my right foot was hurting from rubbing the side of the shoe.

Anyone know if these would stretch out any, or if I would be better to return and look for something available in widths?
  • 08-14-2018
    Bills
    maybe Iím asking the wrong question.....

What MTB shoes are there that come in different widths, or what is the most comfortable MTB shoes.
  • 08-15-2018
    cjsb
    Your first question on stretching is that in my experience, wearing a thick ankle brace on one foot, my 5-10s have stretched out. That is spitfires or the High-Top DH model, each have stretched.

I have found the spitfire and high-top dh model to be more roomy inside than the freerider. But spitfire has a very flexy sole, and the high-top is a somewhat cumbersome, and sweaty shoe.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • 08-15-2018
    phuchmileif
    If it's the ball of your foot that's wide, I feel your pain. I'm at least a 3-4E at that part of the foot, though I would be a standard width otherwise.

I have Freerider Elements (solid leather on the outside) and they have stretched...I do not know if the standard materials will stretch as much as leather. I think you get more room just from the padding inside (which is pretty substantial) packing down.

You may just need to buy 0.5-1 sizes up from what would actually fit the length of your foot. Moves the widest part of the shoe forward more; not the best option, but it works and sometimes it's all you can do.
  • 08-20-2018
    Chicane32
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Bills View Post
    So I finally got some actual MTB shoes. I had to size up from 10-11 for them to feel ok in the store, but did my first ride today and I think I need a wider shoe...... about 8 miles in my right foot was hurting from rubbing the side of the shoe.

Anyone know if these would stretch out any, or if I would be better to return and look for something available in widths?

Return them and get the Freeride Pro in the same size and the fit will be a lot better for you. I first tried on the Contact and the entire shoe snugged my foot super tight with the laces spread far apart, which was awful. The Pro in the same size fits my foot like a normal shoe and it was night and day more comfortable. I also wear a 2E New Balance and have an issue with narrow shoes and my pinky toe rubbing the side.
  • 08-27-2018
    Marc2211
    I had the same issue with 2018 Contacts, the toe box was too narrow and even in the store they rubbed terribly.

I have some Freeriders, FR pro, Impacts and also an old pairs of Maltese Falcons - none of them have the same issue.

If shoes don't fit at the start they'll never be right in my experience.