510 flat shoes- Mtbr.com

Thread: 510 flat shoes

mtbr member
    Oct 2013

510 flat shoes

So i started off with BMX and using platform pedals for mountain biking, if i were to FR and ride at the pike parks all the time, would the pins in the pedals eat up the bottom of 510 shoes like they do vans and other forms of shoes? i don't want to buy $120+ shoes and see them get shredded and eaten up in a month. if thats the case i'll suffer and stick with clipless

The real question is what is the average life span of 510's if they're used about 3 to 4 times a week?

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    the pins and the bottom of my 5/10's go together like peanut butter and jelly. shred? no way! sorry cant give any specific length of time they live

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!
    I have Impacts and threaded pins (which I would think would do more "shredding" than non-threaded pins) and after ~1 year of riding, I can barely tell they've been worn.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    okay, i'll get some then hahaha. i just don't want them to get ruined quickly

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by GelatiCruiser View Post
    I have Impacts and threaded pins (which I would think would do more "shredding" than non-threaded pins) and after ~1 year of riding, I can barely tell they've been worn.
    Same here, I've got about 100 miles on some 5.10 Freerider XVI's and Canfield Crampon pedals, they stick like a bed of nails but don't seem to damage the sole. There's a few little nicks and I think after a season or two you might need a resole.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Oh, i gotta ask. how much do you guys weigh when you ride... i weigh about 195.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    185 lbs, got a single speed with about 6 to 7 hundred miles on a pair of 510 danny macaskill and a pair of race face atlas flats. Not one mark on the bottom of the soles. The really wonderful thing is they are so sticky on those spikes you can really pedal in circles like you are wearing clip ins.

20 LD Productions
    Jun 2012

Re: 510 flat shoes

I live in FL so I ride year round. I average 3-4 days a week. I got my current Freeriders VXI for Christmas last year. I have Straight line AMP pedals. Today was the first ride in them after I used Shoe Goo to re-watch part of the sole that had separated about an inch from the uppers. The Shoe Goo seems to be holding. I have also attached a pic of the bottom of the sole that shows how much the inside pins have worn thru the sole into the foot bed. This is the highest wear point to but all of the pins have created significant indents as well. Just hard to see in the pic. The uppers only show wear where I rub against the crank arms and chainstays .

This is my second pair of 510's and I have been extremely happy with them. They have taken abuse and held up well considering. In fact, I can probably get another 6 months on them. I find replacing shoes yearly really isn't unreasonable to me. However, I can say I had a pair of Lake clip less shoes that I bought in 1996 that I threw away last year. So I suppose one advance of clip less is that the shoes may last longer.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 510 flat shoes-uploadfromtaptalk1413501047025.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    [QUOTE=DudeDowne;11518938]I live in FL so I ride year round. I average 3-4 days a week. I got my current Freeriders VXI for Christmas last year. I have Straight line AMP pedals. Today was the first ride in them after I used Shoe Goo to re-watch part of the sole that had separated about an inch from the uppers. The Shoe Goo seems to be holding. I have also attached a pic of the bottom of the sole that shows how much the inside pins have worn thru the sole into the foot bed. This is the highest wear point to but all of the pins have created significant indents as well. Just hard to see in the pic. The uppers only show wear where I rub against the crank arms and chainstays./QUOTE]

yeah i'm thinking about getting the new five ten freerider VXi:
    Five Ten - Freerider VXi - Brick Red

with some Canfield Crampon Ultimates:
    Canfield Brothers Crampon Magnesium Pedals - Pedals

Anyone know if thats a combo that works well or do the pedals/pins of the canfields just burn through the 510 rubber?

20 LD Productions
    Jun 2012
    Nice! Chick's will dig ya and roadies will cringe with ignorant disgust.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasF View Post

yeah i'm thinking about getting the new five ten freerider VXi:
    Five Ten - Freerider VXi - Brick Red

with some Canfield Crampon Ultimates:
    Canfield Brothers Crampon Magnesium Pedals - Pedals

Anyone know if thats a combo that works well or do the pedals/pins of the canfields just burn through the 510 rubber?
    I have impacts with about 3 seasons in them, Canfield Mags I got this spring; I have around 1000 miles on the combo and the shoes are showing no signs of it at all. The pedals are in worse shape than the shoes in fact.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Joules View Post
    I have impacts with about 3 seasons in them, Canfield Mags I got this spring; I have around 1000 miles on the combo and the shoes are showing no signs of it at all. The pedals are in worse shape than the shoes in fact.
    Thats what I want to hear. I still need to give clipless more time but I'll be switching back over soon enough

mtbr member
    I love the looks of the Impacts:

Five Ten - Impact VXi - Blue / Yellow

but I'm just a trail rider. Anyone with experience with these? Suitable for general trail use?

Also--any help on sizing? I am a US 10 M with relatively wide (but not overly) toe box. Normal sneakers (Nike etc) would be a 10. Teva biking shoes required a 10.5.
    I can't try the 5 10s on before a purchase...do folks size up?
    2013 Salsa Spearfish 1
    2011 Trek Gary Fisher Montare
    1999 Trek 800

20 LD Productions
    Jun 2012

Re: 510 flat shoes

Quote Originally Posted by captsensible View Post
    I love the looks of the Impacts:

Five Ten - Impact VXi - Blue / Yellow

but I'm just a trail rider. Anyone with experience with these? Suitable for general trail use?

Also--any help on sizing? I am a US 10 M with relatively wide (but not overly) toe box. Normal sneakers (Nike etc) would be a 10. Teva biking shoes required a 10.5.
    I can't try the 5 10s on before a purchase...do folks size up?
    For me...I have had both the original Freerider and the new Freerider vxi. I normally wear a 10.5 most brands. However, the 10.5 was too tight in the toebox and I ended up with an 11. With thin socks I have plenty of room and are comfy. There is room for heavier socks for winter riding as well.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I've had my Sam Hill's for about four or five seasons, using them only for riding my XC and downhill bike. The soles are fairly worn now and the sides are starting to tear. Having said that I feel I got my money's worth and purchased another pair for next season.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Have been riding my first pair of freeriders for DH/Freeride and dirt jumping for about a year - 1 or two times per week probably. No visible wear to the bottoms. I only wear mine to ride. They are stickier and the soles hold up better than Vans (but cost more, of course).

I wear 10.5 or 11 in most shoes, and my 510s are 11.5.

Graveyard Shift
    Killed my last pair of shoes, just ordered a brand new pair of Freerider Elements in size 12. 12's usually the top end of my sizing so it should be fine, but I've always found Five Ten's sizing to be an adventure.

I was tempted by those Aescents though, I will not lie. Completely different shoe but they look so light and nimble they almost made me forget the Vancouver weather.
    Long is the way, and hard.

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!

The shoes I bought.

Will post the shoes I currently own....seriously, they're bomb proof. And you can re-sole them, and the actual foot housing is ridiculously durable. They'll last longer than your pedals for sure.

20 LD Productions
    Jun 2012
    ^
    Where/cost to re-sole 5-10's?
    After a year on my Freeriders vxi I have a hole in the sole from one of the pedal pins. Just curious if it is cost effective.