5 Spot Helmet Cam Footy: Mt. Lowe - Sunset Trail- Mtbr.com
    striker!

5 Spot Helmet Cam Footy: Mt. Lowe - Sunset Trail

This is the lower half of the Mt. Lowe ride (the upper portion was posted in this thread) which is a twisty grinner with some good rock sections. As I said in the previous thread, this is a great trail for the 5 spot. There are usually more hikers on this section of the trail because you're getting close to the parking lot so we had to tone it down a little bit but still kept a good clip.

Please excuse the cameraman's use of vulgar language during a crash at the end. We later figured out that his rear shock (rockshox monarch) lost its rebound damping towards the end of the ride and was the culprit.

Music by Pennywise, enjoy:

<object width="640" height="480"><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="movie" value="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=5765352&amp;server=vimeo.com &amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_portr ait=0&amp;color=00adef&amp;fullscreen=1" /><embed src="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=5765352&amp;server=vimeo.com &amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_portr ait=0&amp;color=00adef&amp;fullscreen=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="640" height="480"></embed></object><p><a href="http://vimeo.com/5765352">Sunset Trail on Turner 5 Spots</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/user1444118">superstock</a> on <a href="http://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>

S
    "flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes."

mtbr member
    nice thanks supestock!
    life is steeper than it looks

Build More = Ride More
    Nice trail.

However the trail builder in me cries (along with baby Jesus) every time I see the front rider go too fast into lots of corners and shredding the rear brake. I know, it's important to show off for the video, but still not cool.

It's fun until you actually have to be the one who rebuilds the damn trail constantly because of this. If you two guys personally did all of the work maintaining and building that trail, then it's OK to do as you wish, but I somehow don't think that's the case, is it?

Sorry to be such a negative Nancy, but you guys were going around those blind corners way too fast if this is a hiking trail too.

Remember that WE ALL are ambassadors to our sport and doing that stuff ruins it for the whole lot of us.

If you ever want to film a high speed run down a multi-use trail, do what we do. Have someone with a radio scout down the trail and then give the OK to bomb it. Without skidding of course.

I know you guys just want to have fun, but please keep this stuff in mind next time you want to ride.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    If you hadn't told us I'd have said that was Bad Religion. The connection between the two bands is Pennywise is on Bad Religion's guitarist's (Brett Gurewitz) record label Epitaph Records. Why that would mean they sound alike beats me but I like Bad Religion.

I'd like to ride up that trail in your vid! Would sure have to keep an eye out for flying Spots though.
    Who's in charge, the thinker or the thought?

mtbr member
    May 2008

Skid marks

Great vid. You guys were keeping a nice clip. I'd like to get out there in a few weeks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by YoPawn
    Nice trail.

However the trail builder in me cries (along with baby Jesus) every time I see the front rider go too fast into lots of corners and shredding the rear brake. I know, it's important to show off for the video, but still not cool.

It's fun until you actually have to be the one who rebuilds the damn trail constantly because of this. If you two guys personally did all of the work maintaining and building that trail, then it's OK to do as you wish, but I somehow don't think that's the case, is it?

Sorry to be such a negative Nancy, but you guys were going around those blind corners way too fast if this is a hiking trail too.

Remember that WE ALL are ambassadors to our sport and doing that stuff ruins it for the whole lot of us.

If you ever want to film a high speed run down a multi-use trail, do what we do. Have someone with a radio scout down the trail and then give the OK to bomb it. Without skidding of course.

I know you guys just want to have fun, but please keep this stuff in mind next time you want to ride.
    Looks like he's not really brake-sliding but doing what they call a "cutty", kind of a stoppy, with a tail whip to get the rear around. A little less damaging than brake-sliding when executed cleanly (which for the most part it looks like he's doing).

Still...I'm with Yo Pawn cringing at seeing that on a multi-use trail dotted with hikers.

Looks like a super fun trail though. Thanks for taking us down it.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

Build More = Ride More
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob
    Looks like he's not really brake-sliding but doing what they call a "cutty", kind of a stoppy, with a tail whip to get the rear around. A little less damaging than brake-sliding when executed cleanly (which for the most part it looks like he's doing).

Still...I'm with Yo Pawn cringing at seeing that on a multi-use trail dotted with hikers.

Looks like a super fun trail though. Thanks for taking us down it.
    Umm. Take a look at the switchbacks. Major sliding of the rear end there. I know the difference in the two you describe and saw both going on.

I'm not trying to bag on the riders really. They are just having fun, but likely not knowing the rest of the stuff. Damn, I used to slide my tire around all the time, until I started building trails on public land. The worst are the DH kids who do this in my berms for "cool" shots of dirt flying into the air.

striker!
    Quote Originally Posted by YoPawn
    Nice trail.

YP, I see your point and respect your opinion. I will admit that there were some sections that I was hitting too fast. There was A LOT of footage that I edited out where we were being more cautious. When I used to ride this trail with Mrs. Stock, she would go down first and report back with the radios. On this day, I was using a bell, which doesn't give you carte blanc to pin it but it does alert the hikers (all the ones we passed were on the side of the trail).

As far as the braking, I do try to brake before I get to the turn and primarily with the front brake. When in tight turns, I try to skip the rear around rather than skidding to reduce trail impact. In one left-hander, the rear skidded out when I put the rear back down after hopping it. The loose, summer socal dirt gave way. This was my worst offense. There was another left hander where I kicked up a bunch of dust before the turn. I hit the brakes too late! Other than that, I think I was a pretty good mtb citizen.

I do participate in trail maintenance days for rides closer to home but not for this trail in particular.
    "flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes."

ROBOTIC RESERVE
    What camera and mount did you use?
    Captain's Rides
    2008 Turner 5.Spot Raw - Pushed RP23 / Pike 454 U-Turn
    2008 Turner Highline GDO - CCDB / Fox 40

banned
    Sep 2005
    Puhleeze! I saw nothing wrong with that vid. Seems the only reason some of those berms even exist is due to riders racing into and out of the turns. No harm/no foul! Great vid! It looks tight.

ZEN RIDER!
    2 flats - go tubeless - 5 yrs & counting and no tire issues other than replacing worn out treads.
    Nice trail, alot different from where I ride.
    Life in every breath

banned
    Sep 2005
    Tubless specific tires suck! I use a UST rim (no strips) and any Maxxis (non-tubeless) tires...preferably 3C compound. Here the rocks eat up the thin walls of tubeless specific tires...plus they flex!

striker!
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Snakebite
    What camera and mount did you use?
    Its a point and shoot mounted to a full-face aka the ghetto cam:

I'd like to get a GoPro with the wide angle lens after this dies.

S

striker!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mt.Biker E
    2 flats - go tubeless - 5 yrs & counting and no tire issues other than replacing worn out treads.
    Nice trail, alot different from where I ride.
    I was on tubeless and I didn't get a flat. I still puncture UST tires so I've not been without issues on the system.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn. Biker123
    Tubless specific tires suck! I use a UST rim (no strips) and any Maxxis (non-tubeless) tires...preferably 3C compound. Here the rocks eat up the thin walls of tubeless specific tires...plus they flex!
    The tire I was running in the back was a 2.35 Maxxis HighRoller UST. My gripe is that its a 70 durometer tire and just doesn't get the traction of a supertacky. They used to make a 2.35 ST HR UST but stopped. They also used to make a dual ply HR ST in a 2.35. I actually have an old dual ply ST 2.35 in the front that I'm running tubeless with Mavic rim strips. They do make a single ply ST HR but those get punctured pretty quickly in a tubeless setup plus they're flexy. The 2.4 Ardent 3C may be a good candidate for a tubeless conversion. I also may try the UST nevegal stick-e or UST rubber queen next.

S

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by superstock
    I'd like to get a GoPro with the wide angle lens after this dies.
    Have you seen this one:
    http://www.vholdr.com/contourhd/overview

I probably would have gone this direction if I didn't get the GoPro first.

striker!
    Quote Originally Posted by LncNuvue
    Have you seen this one:

Yeah, when I was at Whistler last year, the Decline guys had one of these and I liked it. If the price on these breaks, I wouldn't mind getting one but $300+ is too steep considering the GoPro is half that.

S

banned
    Sep 2005
    I don't understand why people especially aggressive riders continue to use the UST tires. I have not had any problems (Maxxis, WTB) getting a bead on the non-ust versions and the sidewalls hold up much better. The problem that I found on WTB is that I would get punctures within the tread more often than a sidewall tear. It is still much easier to do trailside surgery if the sidewall had not been compromised, though.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I don't understand why people especially aggressive riders continue to use the UST tires. I have not had any problems (Maxxis, WTB) getting a bead on the non-ust versions and the sidewalls hold up much better. The problem that I found on WTB is that I would get punctures within the tread more often than a sidewall tear. It is still much easier to do trailside surgery if the sidewall had not been compromised, though.
    I ride 2.35 Nevegal DTC non UST front and rear tubeless on flows with good results (knock on wood) I've had 2 rear tire punctures in the tread and 1 sliced slidewall over the last two years but that comes with the territory. Trails conditions are rocky, sharp and rather inhospitable for any tire.

banned
    Sep 2005
    Please don't mistake it. I don't use tubes either, just Stans. I have to reload the tires about once a month, but I have had very good results. The last two sets that I went through the only time that I ever took the tire off of the rim was to replace it!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I don't use tubes either, just Stans.
    That's what I came away from your previous post assuming - no tubes. I'm with ya. Stans is the way to go and a UST tire isn't necessary

striker!

vholdr price drop!

Quote Originally Posted by LncNuvue
    Have you seen this one:

Prices on ebay are down in the low 100's now. I guess the vholdr HD is coming soon and these are getting blown out.

ebay link

Members who have read this thread: 0