5.10's vs Teva- Mtbr.com

Thread: 5.10's vs Teva

mtbr member

5.10's vs Teva

Ok, probably been discussed, but didn't find an exact match in searching.

My story.. Getting a little frustrated. I've ordered 4 pairs of 5.10's.. trying to find the right size/shoe for me. I don't have any anywhere near me, so I have to order them. Of course, many places to provide return shipping, so I'm tired of spending money sending shoes back.

I think I've finally found the size I need. My favorite 5.10 is the Baron so far... but none of them are really striking me as comfortable.

So...

1. Is there a decent break in period for the 5.10's, and do I just get through it.
    2. Anyone have ridden both the 5.10's, and the Teva Links? Are the Teva's more comfortable? They look more like a regular shoe, so look to be comfy.
    3. Which feel best walking/hiking around as well? I usually camp and ride, don't want to constantly have to pack multiple pairs of shoes.
    4. Weight.. 5.10's are heavy.. how are the Teva Links??

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    The last Teva's I had fell apart in about 6 months.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Teva Pinner

I've had the Teva Pinners for a few months and have no complaints. Comfortable and seem to be true to size, easy to walk around in after riding. Soles are fine so far although I know some people have had issues with their pedals tearing them up. Can't speak for long term durability yet but I got them for $50 on Amazon so I'm happy for now.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I have a set of Pinners as well. When shopping, I couldn't find and 5.10s near me and did not want to chance the hassle of purchasing online then not have them fit. I've always had good luck with the fit of Teva footwear in the past so went with the Pinners.

one sick puppy
    I wear the five ten impacts and really like them but they do take a while to break in before they feel comfortable.
    Saddle up, Effendi. We ride.

mtbr member
    Another with a $50 pair of pinners here. Wanted to try platforms after many clipped years with low $$ commitment. My experience is that they are super comfy, fair sole rigidity and surprisingly good connection with pins. They are not heavy and the tongue is supported with elastic on the sides which allows wear with loose laces for casual / after ride comfort. Heck, sometimes I ride even tech trails with the shoes pretty loose with no complaints. Haven't had them too long so I can't really comment on durability.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Anyone tried the mid-high top Teva?

I wreck alot
    Have you tried Zappos.com?

Free shipping to you and free shipping to return or exchange items...any amount of times.

I ordered a couple pairs of 5.10's from them and went back and forth a few times. No problems.

mtbr member
    Bump. How is the stiffness on the Teva links? The soles on my 5.10 Minaars are getting pretty worn up after almost a year and a half of riding so I'm looking for a replacement.

The Tevas look like they'll weigh less, I just love how stiff the 5.10s are and dont want to sacrifice that for a little weight.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Can anyone speak to the water resistance of the Tevas? I ususally ride my 5.10's, but if I'm expecting wet creek crossings on my ride, I switch to my specialized clip-ins. I'd rather ride my flats in all conditions without my feet tripling in weight when the shoes get wet.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I got Teva Pinner's from Amazon. I ordered a 9, had to exchange for a 10. They feel good, but are my only experience with mountain shoes for flats which I converted to early this year. I think they have been great so far. They are comfortable, and have never bothered me. They seem to be holding up just fine, but I'm a riding who stays on the bike mostly. No durability issue with mine since I got them.

But I always wonder how a pair of 510 Freerides would compare. I just don't want to spend the money when my current Teva's are just fine...

Vitamin Bike Added
    Hey Wish I were, I also bought my Pinners from Amazon as well and also bought 5.10 freeriders on sale with hucknroll. The 5.10s are miles stickier and better on the whole than the pinners. No comparison.
    Can you remember if the Pinners had tags attached when them came from Amazon? I think I might have cut the tags off them but seriously can't remember. I'd like to return them but want to make sure I send them back exactly as recieved to get my refund.

Cheers.
    Keep the rubber side down

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBCanuck View Post
    Hey Wish I were, I also bought my Pinners from Amazon as well and also bought 5.10 freeriders on sale with . The 5.10s are miles stickier and better on the whole than the pinners. No comparison.
    Can you remember if the Pinners had tags attached when them came from Amazon? I think I might have cut the tags off them but seriously can't remember. I'd like to return them but want to make sure I send them back exactly as recieved to get my refund.

Cheers.
    Oh geez, now I want the Freeriders!

I got my Pinners about 8 months ago, so I don't remember man, sorry.

Members who have read this thread: 0