5.10s vs shimano dh shoes- Mtbr.com
    Roll on Spring Time!

5.10s vs shimano dh shoes

Starting on flats and need to decide on shoes. Will have to include skate shoes cause of my other interests and from other thread I will get some vans. I have had great success with my shimanos for clipped in DH/freeride but need to know how they feature on flats. 5.10s seem to own but they twice the price of shimano.

How do shimanos stand up to 5.10s?
    I just want to ride.

Mar 2008
    The answer is pretty simple for flats... 5.10's and if you think otherwise, go watch Sam Hill.

NEWBIE WAN KENOBI
    510 is the way to go ! strong, grippy, durable, and it last forever !

i own atleast 50 different kinds of skater shoes and mountain shoes that are knobby, and all i can say is non of em are even close to compare to my 510's.

ive never tried the shimano's but i dont even think the shimano shoes will match the 510's as far as grip. the 510's grip so much to the point that you can actually lift flat pedals with it, kinna like if you were using clipless.

note: please buy the 510's you will never regret it, if you spend less buying other mountain shoes or skater shoes you will just end up spending double soon as they break or soon as they get deformed.

my 510's is a year old and still running like if they were new, i push my bike most of the time and the 510's durability is definitely the answer. 510's does not get all deform like my other mountain and skater shoes, and as bad as i wanna get the new 510's i cant since my shoes are still in very good shape.

take the advice dude ! im most certain that alot of people here will tell you the same thing. good luck !
    DO YOU BUTT QUEEF ?

mtbr member
    Vans is apparently coming out with SPD shoes later this year; look pimpin' from the photos I saw.

Now with flavor!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Newbie Wan Kenobi

i own atleast 50 different kinds of skater shoes and mountain shoes

Where do you put them all?

You put high school chicks to shame.
    STRAVA: Enabling dorks everywhere to get trails shut down........ all for the sake of a race on the internet.

mtbr member
    5.10's are super sticky but tons of guys love them, i cant ride with them.

the shimano's are nice but just like most other skate shoes, i run nike 6.0's and after a season and a half they are doing great, and i have pounded them...all preference it is like suggesting grips, its tough.

calma
    5-10's are also cheaper.

Lord of the Chainrings
    5.10's with DMR V12 flat pedals rock!

I like the Sam Hill 5.10 shoes, but I'm not a fan of the (world champion) "rainbow logo" on them.
    "Hesitation is the Mother of Failure!"

~~ 951 for Dirt & Roadster for Asphalt ~~

Bikes Rule
    Why do you have 2 threads asking the same question?

GET THE 5.10 FOR CRYING OUT LOUD.

I gotta pee
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtGash
    and if you think otherwise, go watch Sam Hill.
    So if Sam Hill jumped off a bridge would you?? I have the shimano's and i love them, VERY comfortable, tacky tread, and easy to hike with if your like me and have to hike your bike to your trail

Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Dynamatt
    So if Sam Hill jumped off a bridge would you?? I have the shimano's and i love them, VERY comfortable, tacky tread, and easy to hike with if your like me and have to hike your bike to your trail

Look dude, don't be so gay by using the 'ol if so and so would you do it and jump off a bridge....in fact at this point I would say you should just go and jump off a a really tall bridge.

Now back to my drunken point.... Of all products that are tested and sponsered, the only one that I have visually seen actually kick ass and make me thgiyfy6tr think 'wow, by golly that product must actually work' is those 5.10 shoes. Face it the damn Aussie makes the pedals stick like glue or something near as cool called clipless. So go ahead and jump off your bridge ya ***!

NEWBIE WAN KENOBI
    50 mountain and skater shoes + more than 100 pairs of jordans, 1987, 1989, 1995 airmax's, retro shoes like adidas, newbalances, saucony, pumas ( sorry no dunks ) atleast 10 pairs or more of timeberland boots.

last time i counted ive owned more than 160 pairs and this was few years back hahhahah.

by the way i store em in their original box since i dont really use em all.
    DO YOU BUTT QUEEF ?

I gotta pee
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtGash

Look dude, don't be so gay by using the 'ol if so and so would you do it and jump off a bridge....in fact at this point I would say you should just go and jump off a a really tall bridge.

Now back to my drunken point.... Of all products that are tested and sponsered, the only one that I have visually seen actually kick ass and make me thgiyfy6tr think 'wow, by golly that product must actually work' is those 5.10 shoes. Face it the damn Aussie makes the pedals stick like glue or something near as cool called clipless. So go ahead and jump off your bridge ya ***!

Ha ha, love you too. Have another beer, or tip one for Sam

mtbr member
    Aug 2006

moaaar shimz

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I have both the 5.10's and shimano DX.

The 5.10s are warmer, heavier and seem burlier.

They take about three days to dry if you get them wet.

I like the DX's in the wet since they have the flap that goes over your laces so your feet may stay drier... They also dry faster, 2 days...

Both great shoes! I got each for $50.00!

5.10s at the end of the year MEC blowout!
    DX's at Performance Bikes, last pair my size!

moaaar shimz
    If you put some newspaper inside the 5.10's and put them in the microwave for a couple of minutes in short intervals they dry up in less than half an hour. I know it because last Sunday before riding my shoes were dripping and I was in a hurry

Freetard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Newbie Wan Kenobi
    50 mountain and skater shoes + more than 100 pairs of jordans, 1987, 1989, 1995 airmax's, retro shoes like adidas, newbalances, saucony, pumas ( sorry no dunks ) atleast 10 pairs or more of timeberland boots.

last time i counted ive owned more than 160 pairs and this was few years back hahhahah.

by the way i store em in their original box since i dont really use em all.
    Damn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Khemical
    Those cables on the Socom look flexy

mtbr member

... and if we just ...

Get the 5.10s. If you get them it doesnt even matter what kind of pedals your running cause they will always stick. At first if your used to skate shoes they feel to sticky but when you get used to them you will never go back. I mean hell 5.10s primary shoe sales are rock climbing shoes. They know their rubbers...

Moose Enthusiast
    Feb 2006
    like said above five.ten knows rubber better than anyone else. you could even wear most of their approach shoe line and have crazy grip for a bit cheaper. climbing rubber is amazing for mtb

Members who have read this thread: 0