5.10 shoes for XC- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2009

5.10 shoes for XC

What 5.10 shoes are most suited for XC type of riding?

Thanks

There's no app for this.

5-10 makes a nice

approach shoe for climbing, it's comfortable and has their great sticky rubber sole. Jim

http://www.campsaver.com/itemmatrix....7&MatrixType=1

In Canada, MEC has them.

Jim

LDH
    mtbr member
    just got some 5.10 basic's and after one ride these things are awesome, superlight and grab the pedal like nobodys business.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by LDH
    just got some 5.10 basic's and after one ride these things are awesome, superlight and grab the pedal like nobodys business.
    how are the soles of the basic? I'm just worried about them being too soft that it takes a bit of power from pedaling.

mtbr member

Hmmmm...

I remember a thread where someone posted that you'll never see a guy on the xc podium with platforms. Probably pretty true, but I still rip up more than half the field in an xcm and just enjoy the ride more. To each his/her own. Quads trump gear anyday.

Back on topic...
    I've been with the Impact (low). Yeah, it's probably heavier than their other approach/freerunners, but it feels more purpose built. I love it. The Basic is lighter, but doesn't give as much support.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I have ridden with 5.10 basics for 6 months and think they are a great shoe. fairly light, good toe protection and the sole is very stiff, much more so that a normal pair of shoes.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I use the 5.10 Guide Tennies too. They're great because they are grippy, comfortable, stiff enough, great for walking (what they were made for), and they look pretty good to boot. They're also pretty durable. I've had mine for several years and have beat the crap out of them. The toe rubber was separating from the sole so I just glued it back.

And I thought that I was the only weirdo wearing them and using toe clips on my fixed gear mtb.

-- Oirad

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    are there any big stores that sells the five tens? thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    After reading a lot about 5-10's here, and deciding to move away from clipless until I get better, I decide to order 5-10's off Zappos. Zappos ships for free, has a great return reputation if the shoes don't quite fit and then you can ship them back for free. I went with some hightops to protect my ankles a little more, I'll see how it goes and let you know.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    You'll find that you can do just about any outdoor activity with them. As someone above writes, they're basically an approach shoe, which means you can do light trails, climb, rock scramble, and trail run if you like. Who woulda thunk they'd be good for riding on pedals with or without toe-clips?

No slight to all the competitive and recreational mtbrs that use clipless pedals, etc... but I find that a good pair of shoes and riding with toe clips (and without around town) teaches you to stay on the pedals. It certainly has its limits and tradeoffs, of course, but ...

-- Oirad

Enthusiast
    I bought a pair of the 5.10 Karvers this summer. Stiff soles. Plenty of grip. But the shoes feel big and clunky. They fit on the loose side -- it helps to wear thick socks -- and the velcro lace-cover kept catching on my crank-arms.

My son, otoh, has a pair of 5.10 Freeriders, and he loves 'em. He wears them all day long, on and off the bike. I just received a pair of those myself, in my size, and will be trying them out later on today.

FWIW, I ordered the Freeriders from Zappos, and the Karvers from Chain Reaction Cycles.

I'll also give a shout of to La Sportiva's approach shoe called the "Spotter". I ran with that shoe last year and loved it. I've been trying 5.10s this year just because I hear so much about them, and because the Spotter always felt a tad narrow for my foot. I actually believe the La Sportiva sole has better grip than the 5.10.

Members who have read this thread: 0