Are 5.10 shoes worth it?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006

New question here. Are 5.10 shoes worth it?

My friend just got a pair of five tens and they seem pretty sick. They seem like they would help with arch fatigue. I was just wondering how many of you guys think they are worth the 100 bucks?
    Go BIG or Go HOME

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    Quote Originally Posted by CountryBoy
    My friend just got a pair of five tens and they seem pretty sick. They seem like they would help with arch fatigue. I was just wondering how many of you guys think they are worth the 100 bucks?
    100 bucks?!? Damn inflation...

Yes they're worth it. Comfy, grippy, comfy. Did I say grippy? Yes they're worth it.
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    The internet sounds like a tough place to ride.

Brackish
    Yup. Best shoe for FR and DH, good sole and great durability.

moaaar shimz
    Yes, worth it

KEEP ROLLING
    they grip very well sometimes its hard to move your foot. they are also very rigid and will protect your toes if you bash them. just avoid sliding your foot on slick rock or tar the sticky rubber wears down fast but nothing to worry about. go for the low rise my friend has the high rise and wished he got the low

Reviewer/Tester
    Quote Originally Posted by CountryBoy
    Absolutely !

Best platform shoes available on the planet.

If you shop around, you can find them cheaper.

Whatever you pay though, they are worth it.

R.
    It is inevitable ...

Slap happy crappiness
    Yes... 100% worth it. It feels incredibly weird riding in anything else than 5.10's. Best shoe for flats ever, hands down.
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

mtbr member
    Worth it! Worth it!

Jul 2007
    Very worth it, get the high tops my cousin's college roomate's uncle's accountant got the lows and wishes he got the highs.

check your six
    Quote Originally Posted by combatkimura
    Very worth it, get the high tops my cousin's college roomate's uncle's accountant got the lows and wishes he got the highs.
    "We can always find excuses if we want to find them, but if we really want to do something, we have to just go."

Dr Phil mmkay
    Yes, worth every penny. I have the low tops right now, will be getting the Rennie editions soon. I feel incomplete riding without them (DH, FR, AM, XC, DJ---what's clipless?)

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    My nephew's sister's father's father's son's brother rides the low tops, but uses the 661 ankle biters for a little extra ankle protection with the freedom of movement that the low tops provide. Best combo in my nephew's sister's father's father's son's brother's opinion.

I do know a lot of people who prefer basic skate shoes for dirt jumping, because of the need for quick adjustments, but for DH they rule.

Bike Hustler
    definitly money WELL SPENT!
    If I had to choose I'd rather ride without gloves than my 5.10's
    SHAM-WOW

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Cool thanks guys. Guess I will be ordering a pair today!
    Go BIG or Go HOME

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

cheaper here

I went for the high tops for the extra ankle protection. Will get high again.

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/145...pact-Shoes.htm

Apr 2004

Rennie

Quote Originally Posted by congarong
    they grip very well sometimes its hard to move your foot. they are also very rigid and will protect your toes if you bash them. just avoid sliding your foot on slick rock or tar the sticky rubber wears down fast but nothing to worry about. go for the low rise my friend has the high rise and wished he got the low
    The Rennies are 3/4 and have the benefits of the high and low. I need to buy a few more pairs and keep them in my closet for down the road.

NEWBIE WAN KENOBI
    yes the 510 shoes are worth it !

pretty much the best shoes for flat pedals ive ever owned, ive tried van's waffle bottom and different kinds of skater shoes but they are nowhere close as far as grip vs the 510's.

i say you invest on that and i will guaranty you that you would never go back ! and it will save you some money buying those 50 - 60 dollars skater shoes.
    DO YOU BUTT QUEEF ?

Bikes Rule
    Impact2 Lows for DH and FR.

BA51C for DJ.

Best shoe for each. Well worth the price. When I ordered my BA51C I ordered 2 since I got a good deal and free shipping.

N* Bomber Crew
    I don't even own 5.10's yet and I still think they're worth it.

Yes, get those Space Boots.
    Northstar 2008 Riding Crew

mtbr member
    They're pretty sick. You should like, get some.

pdh
    mtbr member
    Yes 100% confidence at your feet
    I JUST WANT A BICYCLE!!!!! " Why-why are you yelling at me?"
    WHATEVER, MAKE ME A BICYCLE CLOWN!!!!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    yes! totaly worth it, i thought they were just a hoax till i tried them, theyre flippin AMAZING ur never gonna loose ur footing even in the gnarliest of sections

StraightOuttaCompton
    i tried some on in the bike shop in petaluma, and they were comfortable as hell. but, i have no job, so none for me, but ya, get them.
    HARDTAIL PRIDE- 09 Kona Five-0

troubled economist
    Yes, I'm a clipless guy who asked the same question, and I can say, without a doubt, that they rock. The grip is unreal! I bought the lowtops.

Only downside: they leave black marks all over the house inside, so leave them in the garage.
    dig...

Dr Phil mmkay
    The 510s work so well that you would have to actually lift off the pedals to adjust your footing. I couldn't get around that issue until half the pins on my 5050s fell out.

I've got brand new Wellgo MG1s for the Wisp race tomorrow so we'll see how that goes.

mtbr member
    yes. have had mine for 3 seasons now and are just about ready to be replaced with a new set.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Phil mmkay
    Yes, worth every penny. I have the low tops right now, will be getting the Rennie editions soon. I feel incomplete riding without them (DH, FR, AM, XC, DJ---what's clipless?)
    What's clipless? Efficiency, a proper pedal stroke, forcefully teaching better bike handling skills by locking your feet onto your bike, being able to maintain a smooth and therefore much more efficient cadence (which by the way makes you faster)... but really, what is clipless?

troubled economist
    Quote Originally Posted by his dudeness
    What's clipless? Efficiency, a proper pedal stroke, forcefully teaching better bike handling skills by locking your feet onto your bike, being able to maintain a smooth and therefore much more efficient cadence (which by the way makes you faster)... but really, what is clipless?
    There's a place for each, and to each his own, let's not turn this into the whole clipless vs flats thing, plenty of threads on that, tooooooo many, IMO, the OP asked about 5.10's and whether they are worth it... got any 5.10's? If you don't, you might likey them.
    dig...

Nov 2005
    I'll buck the trend here and say they're just "OK"

I have 510's and I rode them hard for one season...however I recently switched back to basic vans and I like the vans better. I like my vans because they aren't as stiff...they have a thinner sole and I feel like I get a much better feel on the pedal. I still rock my 510s sometimes...but I'm usually on my vans now.

I also ride clipless for all mountain and cross country because I think flat pedals for xcountry and all mountain is lame.

Cheers.

Mountain Lion Bait
    I've got a pair of the high tops and low tops. I love them. They grip like nobodys business, are comfy, and provide good protection to your dogs. RideSFO had them for alot less than anyone else I could find.

mtbr member
    http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/31457138/c/75882.html

grip like hell without looking like you have gout!

I gotta pee
    I have the Shimano freeride shoes and i love them!! 3/4 ankle on the crank arm side and low top on the outer side of the shoe. Grip like mad, i have the shimano dx pedals and the combo is unreal

Jun 2008
    I haven't tried 5.10's, but I find that the best shoe for platform pedals with the little peg things are Van's. The Van's canvas shoes have small circles for treads and the little pegs fit right inside all the little holes, so I find it to be the grippiest shoe ever. Check it out next time your at some stores, or skate shops, just look at the bottom of some canvas vans.

Glad to Be Alive
    only you know if they are worth it or not....for me they are not...because I get as much grip as I need with cheap Nike air flight mid top basketball shoes...for 40 bucks they grip good and protect my ankle bones from getting hit
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Members who have read this thread: 0