5.10 shoes vs water- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2009

5.10 shoes vs water

I currently run clipless with Specialized shoes that work wonderfully for my riding. One of my favorite rides includes at least half a dozen river crossings that require wading across. The specialized shoes have lots of mesh and the water drains out immediately and even in the winter with nice socks it is tolerable.

Moving to flats is something I want to do for at least the next few months as I am trying to learn/perfect some skills that are going to result in more crashes

The 5.10s sound like the only shoe to consider for flats but how do they do with water? The impact model seems to be the least ugly to me but at a glance I can imagine them being soggy and heavy after their first baptism

mtbr member
    I thoroughly soaked my Impacts the other day out on the trail. They don't drain right away for sure and while they did gain some a bit of weight they were not too bad. I think the stiffer soles help them from getting the heavy squishy feel that you get if you were slogging around in a pair of soaking wet tennis shoes. I was only about 20 mins away from the trailhead so I didn't have to ride with them for long though. Honestly I was more occupied with riding...and trying to not go OTB into a stream for the second time to really give a second thought to the shoes.

mtbr member
    My Impact Highs resist getting wet quite well, but when they do get wet, they dry really slowly.

I Void Waranties
    they soak up water like a sponge but maintain their grip. The grip is really good even in muddy muck...but and its a big BUT the soles came off after about a season of riding. The funny thing is both the soles came of on the same day which leads me to think that there will be many others having the same problem. I now use converse since they dont soak up water so much and have the plastic to caps to project your toes. The grip on them aint as good as the 5.10's but they are acceptable even in the wet.
    Best thing of all is I can buy three pairs for the price of a pair 5 10's not that I have too since this pair has lasted me for two and a half seasons and it looks like they have plenty more to go even I wore them before I started cycling with them to a stage where they were just to dirty for every day use...mind you after a wash they are fairly white again.
    The 1st production mountain bike was sold in 1984.
    Anti EBB

mtbr member
    May 2009
    there's always one in the crowd: I've always been impressed with how well my 510's dry when riding. While they dont seem to dry out completely, mine get to the merely damp state in 20 mins or so when soaked. And yes they are the big bulky ones, Impacts I believe.
    2011 Canfield ONE 200mm DH 35 pounds
    2010 Specialized Pitch 29 lbs sold
    Wife: 2009 Canfield ONE also 29 lbs

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by crossup
    there's always one in the crowd: I've always been impressed with how well my 510's dry when riding. While they dont seem to dry out completely, mine get to the merely damp state in 20 mins or so when soaked. And yes they are the big bulky ones, Impacts I believe.
    You ride a Pitch...so I am going to believe what you say (I ride a Pitch as well)

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I probably should mention that I ride with very thin socks which no doubt helps with drying
    I noticed the drying because I used to ride with Specialized SPD shoes which while very a minimalist shoe seemed to be watertight...as in the water gets in and doesnt get out
    So getting wet was something to avoid but with the 510's I stopped worrying about it.
    While I'm at it, mine are two years old and have been to Snowshoe(actually purchased there) and Whistler and still look new @ 700 odd miles of use. My Specy SPDs just sit in their box now..

Quote Originally Posted by woodc
    You ride a Pitch...so I am going to believe what you say (I ride a Pitch as well)
    Last edited by crossup; 09-30-2010 at 10:57 AM.
    2011 Canfield ONE 200mm DH 35 pounds
    2010 Specialized Pitch 29 lbs sold
    Wife: 2009 Canfield ONE also 29 lbs

Members who have read this thread: 0