Which 5.10 shoes ?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2011

Which 5.10 shoes ?

Ok so I'm using the wrong shoes to bike in (SIGH) currently I use a standard Asics Gel 170TR for riding and the sole is too soft and flexible I get uncomfortable after a couple of hours of riding. So I checked this forum (Of course ) and the general conclusion is that 5.10's are it. So my question is - Are they wide fitting these 5.10 shoes and which one to get ? I ride almost every day woodland mostly fair bit of up (lots of foot pressure) and the fun of the down hill after (lots of small adjustments).

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I have fairly wide feet and the toe box of the 5.10 Freerider fits me well.

Many people recommend either the Impact or the Freerider.

The Freerider is a very stiff shoe and you can barely feel the pedals underneath it. I would have loved to try out the Impact since it seems a bit softer.

Forgot to mention that driving while wearing the Freerider shoes is really weird since you can't really feel the pedal under your foot.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I've got the Impacts, they feel pretty similar to what you described. I was going to go with the free riders but I found the Impacts local. They fit pretty true to size, I'm a 12 in a running shoe and a 12 in the 5.10's.

Stand-up philosopher
    i got some freeriders when 6pm had them for $56. I'm glad they had more in stock after i got mine, because i ordered a 9.5 (which is what i normally wear) and i had to return them for a 10. they are a little narrow.

i'm not sure how hot it is where you ride, but i found the freeriders to be very hot and uncomfortable in june and july in middle Tennessee. our temps in july usually run around 100 with high humidity. I switched to clipless at the end of july so i could have some shoes that breathe better.

this past weekend i swapped back to the 5.10s to see what flats feel like after riding clipless for a few months. i noticed that my foot placement on the pedal was much better and more consistent than it had been before. it was in the 60s and the freeriders kept my feet at about the right temp. i will probably wear the 5.10s and flats through the winter so that i don't have to buy the bootie warmer things for my clipless shoes.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Does anyone know the difference between the freerider impacts and sam hills ?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I have the Freerider shoes matched with some Straitline de facto pedals. They're stiff, but I went even stiffer by putting a SuperFeet green sole insert in to replace the standard sole inside it. Really helps out with some foot support.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Anyone riding the Baron's? I am thinking of getting a pair...

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I got a pair of 5.10 samhill's and they are wonderful ok they are a little heavier but thats understandable given the comfy thick sole. I have yet to change the insole for a better one (great idea by the way ehigh) but as stock they fit well, sizing is exactly as stated perfect fit even for me with widefitting needs. Can't recommend them enough.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Impact low. I have wide feet and the fit great. If you are looking for a shoe with ankle support, try the Impact high. I've had these for 2 years and they have held up very well.

I use Crank Bros. 50/50 with extra studs and my feet feel like they are glued to the pedals.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I am currently using the 5.10 Camp Four shoes for the last couple years. Its a good shoe for biking and hike a biking. Comfortable wide fit. I like them since I do a lot of hike a biking. I have also used the guide tennie for biking but I like the Camp Four model better since the sole is thicker and i dont feel the pins as much. The guide tennie gripped the pins better though. Great quality in both models.

Swimming thru the Smog
    Apr 2011
    I just switched to the 5.10s Sam Hills and love them - super sticky, stiff enough to ride great, easy enough to walk in, and comfortable.

Rodizio
    Jul 2011
    I'm thinking of purchasing the 5.10 impact low. How do the shoe sizes run? Should I just purchase my normal shoe size or do they run small/large?

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I normaly wear a size 12 and that is what I got and they fit is great.

Members who have read this thread: 0