5 10 shoes- Mtbr.com

Thread: 5 10 shoes

mtbr member
    May 2010

5 10 shoes

anyone using this shoes,r they worth the 100 bucks

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I upgraded from $6 flats and boots to Wellgo Mg-1's and 5.10's a few weeks ago. Huuuuge difference, I feel much more comfortable and connected to my bike. I think the pedals and the style of shoe made more of a difference (I went for a quick spin with the new pedals and some old off-brand skater shoes) but the 5.10's are also helping as well.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Yes theyre worth it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Get them.

I did a lot of rock climbing for a while and that's where 5.10 obviously got their start. They took their expertise for sticky soles and translated it to bike shoes. I have a pair of Sam Hill's that I ride with my jumper and they stick so well I almost feel clipped in.

I love my 5.10's

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

maybe worth more

gives you a lot more confidence that you arent going to bash you shins or knees

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    They aren't magic ... you won't be "clipped" in ... but man are they sticky!

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I got a pair of them after constant shin scars. They grip really well, but the other day i tried my buddys skate shoes and i didnt notice much of a difference from my 5.10s. I think if you get a decent skate shoe for half the price you will be just as good.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I went from a series of skate shoes to the 5.10, and it's a significant difference. With skate shoes you can adjust your foot with it on the pedal, while the 5.10s are soo sticky you need to lift your foot up to reposition.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jorge570
    anyone using this shoes,r they worth the 100 bucks
    Welcome.

They're worth $200 if compared to $50-100 shoes I've owned but you should stay away from them if you want to be a better rider.

If there is a god her gifts would include those shoes and pedals with spikes.

FWIW: I use stiff insoles that help with my small volume feet and arch support.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I just picked up some Xpedo MX-11 flats at a steal and I'm thinking about grabbing some 5.10's. I've got other skate shoes, but I figured I'd dedicate one pair of shoes to getting REAL dirty. Don't want to filth up my daily shoes and 5.10's seem to be the way to go.

Underskilled
    try putting supportive insoles in your shoes, that helps my foot pain.

Getting 5.10 rubber to stick is a skill, rock climbings are YEARS ahead in practice.

Stick with it any you will be amazed what you can get these to do.

I can happily deadlift my 40lb bike a foot into the air from a trackstand just off pedal grip.
    I however have a decade of balancing on rock with 5.10 and almost importantly have their Onyx rubber on the base (now that is magic).
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?

Paul
    Jun 2010
    I tried them and didn't like them at all. They certaintly did have excellent traction on the pedals, but the shoes were too big and bulky for my taste. And you still have to deal with securing the shoe laces. I think some $40 skate shoes would have worked better.

Underskilled
    Quote Originally Posted by pljam67
    I tried them and didn't like them at all. They certaintly did have excellent traction on the pedals, but the shoes were too big and bulky for my taste. And you still have to deal with securing the shoe laces. I think some $40 skate shoes would have worked better.
    restressing the shoes are not that good, it is the rubber that is amazing.

Just get your fave pair of skate shoes and get them resoled.
    It costs less than the price of a new pair and relifes and improves your best shoes.
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by CaveGiant
    restressing the shoes are not that good, it is the rubber that is amazing.
    I'm actually a fan of the whole shoe. It's well padded, stays put without having it tight, and has a very stiff sole.

Members who have read this thread: 0