5.10 Freeriders: Original vs XVi- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

5.10 Freeriders: Original vs XVi

My almost two year old Freeriders have a sizable hole in the sole, and I finally took a pin to the bottom of my foot today. I loved these shoes but if I could make one improvement, it'd be the ability to move my foot a bit easier on the pedal. I don't want to be slipping off the pedal, nor in HAB situations, and I'm hoping someone with experience on both shoes (or just the XVi) can chime in to let me know how they feel on and off the bike.

Thanks much!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Well I like my freerider VXis, I use them with diety decoys. However I came from cheap wellgos and XA pro 3ds...so compared to that the freeriders are way better. Decently easy to move my foot, I still find myself lifting it off to reposition, so its probably not much less tachy than the original freeriders, but slightly easier due to the bald spot.

Don't worry, be happy!
    Vxi is much wider than the regular Freerider

MTB Mamba
    May 2007
    I feel like my VXI's hold my pedals just as well as my originals, but it's easier to change my foot placement on the fly if needed. Don't have to land pins in the grooves because anywhere on that smooth sole will work.

mtbr member
    I ordered a pair of VXI's right when they came out to replace a old pair of Impact's. I disliked the feel of them right away and returned them for some Sam Hill's. formica is right they are wider and I thought they felt REALLY stiff vs. the Impacts.
    I like to fart when I'm in front of you on a climb:skep:

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    How are everyones xvi's holding up? Worried about getting them because a few different reviews claiming they falling apart after a few rides. Worried if that would cause me a problem especially if I'm buying from the U.S and I live in Canada

20 LD Productions
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by herder View Post
    How are everyones xvi's holding up? Worried about getting them because a few different reviews claiming they falling apart after a few rides. Worried if that would cause me a problem especially if I'm buying from the U.S and I live in Canada
    Herder...

Like the OP my free riders vxi developed a hole in the sole from a pin on the inside of my arch. This happened within a year of purchase. The hole was consistent with a previous pair of original freeriders. In addition the sole started to detach from the uppers right around the big toe area. I called 510 and they replaced them with another pair since the shoes were less than 1 year old. Had to send in the first pair back and I feel real sorry for the person who opened that box.

I just bought the new Five Ten Contacts and have 2 rides on them. They seem to size a half size larger so I went from a size 11 with the VXI's to a 10.5 with the contacts. In addition to size difference, the rubber sole is a little softer. It seems to grip about the same though. Hopefully it will wear better. Only time will tell.

I have tried a lot of shoes out there, including the new Specialized 2FO. However none seem to fit as well as the 510's. But I really wish some one would make a sticky trail runner type of shoe that dries quickly. Even though the new Contacts are made with lighter materials they still take a solid 2 days to dry thoroughly. This means that unless you have two pairs and can rotate them they will likely start to funk right away.

MTB Mamba
    May 2007
    I bought a pair off amazon and wore them quite a bit over about an 8 month period. One shoe the sole started to peel off a little so I contacted 5.10, sent them some pics and they paid my shipping to send them back to them and sent me free replacements.

Woohooo! Moderator
    Mine were pretty solid. I they lasted about from Oct '13 - May '15 of pretty hard use riding a couple of times each week year round. The shoes themselves are in good shape still without any delaminating or failing on the uppers. I developed a gash on the sole though exposing the foam through the stealth rubber though so I just ordered a new pair ($80 at fiveten.com in the closeouts section).

The wear on these has definitely been better than the regular freeriders I've had, and is pretty similar to past impacts which are a lot heavier and didn't breath as well as the VXis. I didn't think twice about getting another set--especially for the price.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Sorry OP for not starting a new thread but thanks as I got my info. I ordered a pair of Amazon as they worked out being cheaper with tax and shipping. Hopefully the Red ones look nice. I feel better with the comments about customer service. I fell better if anything does happen that Five Ten or even Amazon will take care of it.

mtbr member
    No worries...you asked your question in the right place.

mtbr member
    The Xvi's are awesome. I really like them, a lot of people are turned away by the flat spot on the sole but they are wider and have better feel and control. Usually they are on sale. If you're still shopping for some now is the time a lot sites will be having 4th of July promos.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Mangchi BB View Post
    The Xvi's are awesome. I really like them, a lot of people are turned away by the flat spot on the sole but they are wider and have better feel and control. Usually they are on sale. If you're still shopping for some now is the time a lot sites will be having 4th of July promos.
    So them being wider throughout is normal? I just got them in the mail, $69 for the red ones at amazon. Haven't taken them out but they feel wider then all my nikes. I first though I should of ordered a half size smaller but now thinking the length is good. They just don't fit around my foot like the nikes. Probably because most of my nikes are running or training shoes?

They look great. Had me sticking to my tlles and carpet inside my house.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    You can't compare them to Nike's, and yes the freeriders do fit on the wide side for both the regular and the xvis. I have both and the xvis have a taller sole and a countoured sole that makes pedaling easier. I'm not a fan of the center spot specially when it's wet or muddy but they're stickier than the regular version.