5.10 Freerider Contact total destruction- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

5.10 Freerider Contact total destruction

Upon finishing my ride yesterday, I looked down and was surprised to find that one of my near-new Freerider Contact shoes was done-zo. My guess is that at some point I missed a pedal and a pin caught the plastic material that the sides of these are made from. I had not had any big wrecks or done anything crazy on this ride.

I find this pretty poor, given that these shoes are designed to be in close proximity to pedal pins. Hopefully 5.10 will rethink that flimsy transparent plastic for future models. Pity, I love(d) these shoes otherwise.

5.10 Freerider Contact total destruction-img_3554.jpg

Don't worry, be happy!
    have you contacted customer service?

mtbr member
    I have, and have not yet heard back. I will pass along their response if/when it arrives.

I will add that I've been riding a version of the Freerider line for 5+ years and love them; they've always been bombproof, so I was surprised at how easily these were damaged. I will certainly buy 5.10 again, though I might stick to more traditional leather/mesh models.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    I killed my regular Freeriders the same way.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewBird View Post
    I have, and have not yet heard back. I will pass along their response if/when it arrives.

I will add that I've been riding a version of the Freerider line for 5+ years and love them; they've always been bombproof, so I was surprised at how easily these were damaged. I will certainly buy 5.10 again, though I might stick to more traditional leather/mesh models.
    5.10 isn't really good at email support... i've never received any response from any of my inquiries to them.
    Canfield Yelli Screamy

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3554.jpg 
Views:	295 
Size:	261.1 KB 
ID:	1077327
    That ripped material looks real thin. And you say it plastic, not fake leather or real leather?
    Goodbye '95 ZJ. Just so you know, transfering box of left behind womens panties to next truck. Thank you ZJ!

mtbr member
    Five Ten will take back, including paying for return shipping, warranty problems with shoes with zero questions. I can't comment if this is warranty because the OP may have caused the problem. However, I'm 99.9% they'll take care of him. I've had two sole separations on two shoes (same model) and they've been great with taking care of me via email on their site. Try emailing them again.

mtbr member
    ^^^ I hope your right...My new Freerides have a major sole delamination issue...They're about 9 month's old, but still. For $140 I'd rather not have to deal with a thin 5.10 rubber sole and then delam, causing a hole via the pins WAY too early IMO.

I tried the Specialized flat shoes, but they run small, and they're out of the size I need. The construction looked really good, and the soles seem like they might last longer than a season (aka Freeride's)
    Santa Fe, NM

Captain One Lung Administrator
    That's sad.

I am almost ready for a new pair of Freeriders and all of these reports on delamination have me concerned. My 2015 models have held up admirably.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Upon finishing my ride yesterday, I looked down and was surprised to find that one of my near-new Freerider Contact shoes was done-zo. My guess is that at some point I missed a pedal and a pin caught the plastic material that the sides of these are made from. I had not had any big wrecks or done anything crazy on this ride.

I find this pretty poor, given that these shoes are designed to be in close proximity to pedal pins. Hopefully 5.10 will rethink that flimsy transparent plastic for future models. Pity, I love(d) these shoes otherwise.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3554.jpg 
Views:	295 
Size:	261.1 KB 
ID:	1077327
    I was interested in this model and tried on a pair at a store yesterday. The side material does appear to be non-breathable plastic. If so this is a bad design to have so much non-breathable material which can make the shoes hot and sweaty and trap moisture which will take longer to dry and risk mildewing. The fishnet material behind the plastic appears to be more cosmetic than reinforcement but underneath that it looks like there is the same fabric covering the toes.

If you don't return these for warranty maybe you could try trimming away all the plastic and fishnet material from both shoes. This should leave regular fabric on the sides like the Freerider model, which is fairly durable. Maybe the "hacked' version will be better. Or not.