45Nrth Wolvhammers on platform pedals- Mtbr.com
    since 4/10/2009

45Nrth Wolvhammers on platform pedals

I ride platform pedals, ESPECIALLY in wintertime. For the past few years, I've been wearing regular ol hiking boots once it gets below 20F. Today was probably my low limit temp with my 5.10 Freeriders wearing thicker wool socks. I might be able to push it a little by putting a chemical warmer packet on top of my toes, but that definitely won't be enough when there's snow. I like the warmth of my hiking boots, though I did find the soles not quite insulating enough occasionally last winter.

My major irritation about the hiking boots is that the rubber on the soles is rather hard and doesn't play very nice with the pins on my pedals. Grip kinda stinks. Better lace retention would be nice, too.

I have a chance to get some Wolvhammers for a good price, but I want to make sure they'll be substantially better than my current system before I pay for them. The specs say they work for SPD or platform pedals. I'm curious if anyone here uses them on platform pedals exclusively, or otherwise has experience with them and platforms.

mtbr member
    I'm curious about this too. Same situation for me. Platform pedals, stiff hiking boots etc. An answer to this would be great!

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Bumping in hope of an answer

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by 12:00 RIDER View Post
    Bumping in hope of an answer
    It's been discussed in the fatbike forum.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Ride More - Suffer Less
    I am not riding is the ~20F range, maybe upper 30F coldest. If it is really wet or muddy I will use my Salomon Ultra Mid GTX boot. Probably not as stiff as an SPD boot. Since I run flat pedals, I used a grinder with an 80 grit flapper wheel to flatten out the pedal contact area. I find the pin action to be sufficient once I do this. Not as sticky like a fresh 2FO or 5.10 but works well.

mtbr member
    I'm looking for some winter boots for flats too. I don't want to tear up my good ones on pedal pins. Flattening the soles of the shoes a bit sounds like a good idea.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I've used both the 2015 and 2017 Wolvhammers with platforms and SPD. The previous Wolvhammers (2014-2016) had a cleat plate that you could cover up the SPD holes with, but the newer 2017 ones don't. I ended up having to track down plates for my new ones. That being said even with the cleat plate, they don't work anywhere near as well as a Five Ten shoe or even some of my winter boots. The hard plastic of the plate doesn't grip the pedals well and snow seems to bond to it, making for awkward raised spots on the pedals. I'd be hesitant to recommend them for platform only use. For SPD use though, they are hard to beat.
    19 Fargo Ti
    '17 Cutthroat
    '15 Fatboy Expert

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Thank you!
    They look (imo) like what you just described.