3 flights of stairs, 5 friends with their camera phones ready,but where's my helmet?- Mtbr.com

Aug 2009

Bonking ... not feelin' well 3 flights of stairs, 5 friends with their camera phones ready,but where's my helmet?

3 flights of stairs, 5 friends with their camera phones ready,but where's my helmet?

Do I go? I've done these stairs many times and yes I had my helmet on, I come on I can do it nothing will happen,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,NOT!

Fire department, ambulance and a trip to childrens hosp, cat scans and x-rays

Always wear your Helmet show this to all your kids. So it might not be cool to wear your helmet, also not cool being scared for life.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3 flights of stairs, 5 friends with their camera phones ready,but where's my helmet?-scare.jpg  

switchback sculptor
    heal up dood, you'll fly again.

mtbr member
    Speedy recovery mate.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Bummer, you'll bounce back quick.

zod
    Southern Fried mUni
    Quote Originally Posted by Power_of1
    I've done these stairs many times and yes I had my helmet on, I come on I can do it nothing will happen,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,NOT!
    Ain't that the way it happens. Lesson learned and it looks like you walked away in considerably okay condition. Heal up, put on the helmet, and go back to that spot and show it who's boss.

too cold to ride
    Hopefully someone's house didn't burn down while the first responders tended to you.

Speedy recovery all the same.
    Now go home and get your ******* shinebox.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigSharks
    Hopefully someone's house didn't burn down while the first responders tended to you.

WTF? Really?

too cold to ride
    ^^Do you suggest it should be the fire department's job to respond to the Youtube allstars who do dangerous things without proper protection? Please enlighten me as my close ties with the Cleveland FD would suggest otherwise.

mtbr member
    Doing something stupid isn't the issue. People do stupid things and burn houses down too; should the fire department not respond to those? My point is yes an injured kid is more important that physical property. What if the OP had internal bleeding? Personally I'd rather loose my house than a kid loose his life, and I sure as hell hope my local fire department feels the same.

where's the camera phone footage of the epic crash?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shrubeck
    Doing something stupid isn't the issue. People do stupid things and burn houses down too; should the fire department not respond to those? My point is yes an injured kid is more important that physical property. What if the OP had internal bleeding? Personally I'd rather loose my house than a kid loose his life, and I sure as hell hope my local fire department feels the same.
    +1

FDs all just doing their jobs. respect.

mtbr member
    ^^Do you suggest it should be the fire department's job to respond to the Youtube allstars who do dangerous things without proper protection? Please enlighten me as my close ties with the Cleveland FD would suggest otherwise.
    pushing the limits is how one learns their ability, we start pushing the limit the first time we walk, seems silly, but truly at that stage you really are.
    Later on we look at pushing the limit as merely "fun" and for some people, the adrenaline rush is hard wired and we will always do it. However its not like going down steps is some mighty impossible feet for the average rider, maybe for you I dono.
    I know talking to a Neuro ICU nurse one year the majority of people filling their units were merely people hanging their christmas lights, you know the type, old, rebels, never quit wanting to blend in, always trying to outdo their neighbor, reaching farther than they should on the ladder while their wife nags from below, horrible risk takers, you know the type.

To the opp, what was the reason for the catscan? were you unconsiouse for a period of time? having trouble remember things after a couple of minutes?

It is something you want limited unless completely necessary. Bleeds for instance in the brain are often not detected right off, with a ct and many times there is nothing that can be done unless it gets serious.
    Things to look for over the next few days are intense headaches and blurred vision. Eat healthy it is the bodies way of healing and far more important than most know to recovering from any kind of an injury.
    If you had a sound concussion it is something that you may "hear" for years go come, you will know what I mean if it happens, hope it doesnt.

gl

a lazy pedaler
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by nomit
    where's the camera phone footage of the epic crash?
    +1...without that... OP could just had a nice makeup

@OP: hope you heal fast and end up not too scared...that sucks.

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?

Yes, obviously, because every single possible fire truck and firefighter in his area was their, totally ignoring other calls during the time period.

Don't be stupid.

There, happy now?
    Last edited by scrublover; 12-09-2009 at 10:22 AM.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

too cold to ride
    The primary purpose of a fire department is to extinguish (and educate the public regarding) fires. In Cleveland, it is not unheard of for an engine to be delayed in reaching a fire because as first responders they are obligated to respond to drunks who crash into walls, kids who ride bikes down stairs, and ignorant people who feign emergencies so they can get a ride to the hospital because they have a cold, etc. It IS about doing something stupid.

Note that this and my previous post are more about the misuse of FD time than criticizing the op.

mtbr member
    stair gaps with no lid? I expect that from some of the young-guns on Pinkbike but not on MTBR. Seriously, glad to know you're ok and that you've had this experience to help evaluate the next time you are faced with a similar situation. However, there is one benefit to you eating it, the chic's are going to dig your war-wound

mtbr member
    So when you had the cat scan, did they find anything?
    James
    "My mountain bike needs a new motor; the current one is fat and lazy."

mtbr member
    The primary purpose of a fire department is to extinguish (and educate the public regarding) fires. In Cleveland, it is not unheard of for an engine to be delayed in reaching a fire because as first responders they are obligated to respond to drunks who crash into walls, kids who ride bikes down stairs, and ignorant people who feign emergencies so they can get a ride to the hospital because they have a cold, etc. It IS about doing something stupid.

Note that this and my previous post are more about the misuse of FD time than criticizing the op.
    So your argument is that people who have a fire were not doing something stupid?

R you serious?

too cold to ride
    Quote Originally Posted by scrublover
    Yes, obviously, because every single possible EMS person in his area was their, totally ignoring other calls during the time period.

Don't be stupid.
    I read this several times and have no idea what you're trying to say.

It doesn't matter how many EMS techs are there if the FD are designated first responders.

too cold to ride
    Quote Originally Posted by Blurr
    So your argument is that people who have a fire were not doing something stupid?

R you serious?
    My argument is that incidents like the op's at times will deprive the dept. of resources needed to combat fires. So I guess I R serious.

Generally causes trouble
    Quote Originally Posted by fast_monte`
    So when you had the cat scan, did they find anything?
    Probably not. As if he had a brain he'd have worn a helmet.

mtbr member
    My argument is that incidents like the op's at times will deprive the dept. of resources needed to combat fires. So I guess I R serious.

You counter dict yourself, you go on in other post to say that the fire is supposed to respond to EMS situations as well. So in other words the problem would not be the Op, but would be that fire departments should not be responding to other incidents besides fires, which in your world are only caused by competent people.

I think you are just looking for attention.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Bigsharks- quit shi*ttin on his thread! jeez!!

Shaman
    Apr 2004
    Agreed. Sounds like bad policy decision at the fire Department if this makes them late for fires, not the kids fault (although I agree he should of had a full face helmet on).

Sounds like a classic case of, "hold my beer and watch this!".
    Skills coaching loved by passionate riders of all levels and trusted by the pros.
    www.betterride.net

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    So then perhaps Cleveland needs to reevaluate its policy of having the FD be the first responders to everything, and have them actually respond to, you know, fires? And obviously things needing ladders/extrication type stuff that they do. Leave the stuff that doesn't call for that stuff to the other emergency services? Well, whatever Cleveland has/does.

To the OP: heal up!
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

zod
    Southern Fried mUni
    Quote Originally Posted by scrublover
    Yes, obviously, because every single possible fire truck and firefighter in his area was their, totally ignoring other calls during the time period.

Don't be stupid.
    Too late

Can't feel my legs
    Quote Originally Posted by morsetaper2

I've done these stairs many times and yes I had my helmet on

too cold to ride
    You counter dict yourself, you go on in other post to say that the fire is supposed to respond to EMS situations as well. So in other words the problem would not be the Op, but would be that fire departments should not be responding to other incidents besides fires, which in your world are only caused by competent people.

I think you are just looking for attention.
    I think you have no clue what you are talking about, but plan on continuing to babble anyway. Fine, have at it.

First responder status means that when a call comes in (car crash, injury, etc.), the first responder (whether Fire, EMS, or other dept.) closest must respond to the call, assess the situation, and coordinate courses of action. Due to a number of reasons including geographic coverage and what else may be going on in the city at that time, many cities require that city service depts. like Fire have to assist Police and EMS with situations like op's (which normally wouldn't be lumped into what you'd expect firemen to handle) as first responders.

In fact, many depts. (including CFD) have firemedics, firemen with advanced EMS training. Now, if a firemedic is not available for the first responder run, the firemen will arrive on scene, direct traffic, and wait for the proper department (police, ems) to arrive.

Betterride and scrublover- I agree, but note that many big cities do not staff as many civil servants as they should (generally related to budgets), and police, fire, and ems often have to 'wear different hats'. Last I heard, EMS techs in Cleveland start around $26K a year and work ungodly amounts of overtime (due to insufficient resources with which to hire more). Other big cities are not so different.

@KFed- you're right- OP: heal up, wear a helmet, and quit inadvertently starting interweb flame wars.

mtbr member
    I think you have no clue what you are talking about, but plan on continuing to babble anyway. Fine, have at it.

First responder status means that when a call comes in (car crash, injury, etc.), the first responder (whether Fire, EMS, or other dept.) closest must respond to the call, assess the situation, and coordinate courses of action. Due to a number of reasons including geographic coverage and what else may be going on in the city at that time, many cities require that city service depts. like Fire have to assist Police and EMS with situations like op's (which normally wouldn't be lumped into what you'd expect firemen to handle) as first responders.

In fact, many depts. (including CFD) have firemedics, firemen with advanced EMS training. Now, if a firemedic is not available for the first responder run, the firemen will arrive on scene, direct traffic, and wait for the proper department (police, ems) to arrive.

Betterride and scrublover- I agree, but note that many big cities do not staff as many civil servants as they should (generally related to budgets), and police, fire, and ems often have to 'wear different hats'. Last I heard, EMS techs in Cleveland start around $26K a year and work ungodly amounts of overtime (due to insufficient resources with which to hire more). Other big cities are not so different.

@KFed- you're right- OP: heal up, wear a helmet, and quit inadvertently starting interweb flame wars.
    So after your Initial Immature post, later Irrelevant posts, you go on to say that the Fire Dept Should indeed be responding according to Demographics.

Guess we should hope you are not laying around bleeding someplace while the "first responders" are responding to someones house burning down cause they left a burner on.

too cold to ride
    ^^Again, it's a struggle to comprehend what you're saying; but nowhere in my posts did I say what you are alleging.

Like it or not, FD first responder status exists and it can often be at best a waste of time and at worst a delay (when seconds count) at doing their 'real' job.

I certainly wouldn't blame the FD for putting out a fire.

friend of Apex
    Stairs are guhNar

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Just be happy the kids alright, seriously.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    ^not saying i dont agree with you. i think FD system should be revamped anyways, i wont go into that here tho.

@op - Shred on, shred on

mtbr member
    Bigsharks,why do you even bother putting out fires in cleveland? The whole shi**y city should just be burnt to the ground anyway. Except for ray's of course.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    My argument is that incidents like the op's at times will deprive the dept. of resources needed to combat fires.
    No, you're argument is lame. Let it go.

a lazy pedaler
    Jul 2009
    ok...not forgetting that this thread is about OP nice makeup (until a video proves something else)....I'm just going to try taking the thread to another direction, other than what is or not is what the FDs should do:
    I just search "slayer27 avatar" on the forum search engine and found nothing...so I'll say it:
    that is some mtb passion avatar!!!

zod
    Southern Fried mUni
    Yes I need vid......I want to see if you head sounds like a tomato or a coconut when it bounces off the pavement!!!

Aquaman

Your could not be more wrong. The Fire Departments primary job is to be a first responder to people in medical need.

too cold to ride
    Old industrial complexes like Ray's are one of the reasons a city needs a strong FD. Those fires are the kind that make national news for engulfing full city blocks, etc.

Full disc.- I'm not a fireman, although it is the family business. I'll put my knowledge of the (local) industry on par with any civilian's.

ffwl- your second sentence borders on complete ignorance of what EMS does/should do. That is literally akin to saying that a police department's primary job is extinguishing fires.

And since you've got me all worked up, op - better post some vid. Set to rap rock.

Aquaman
    Since I am so Ignorant please help me and remember keep it simple. If less than 20% of all fire department calls are to fires how can you so that that is there primary function.
    What I think you problem is that you are bothered by people who do silly acts like not wearing a helmet, driving without a seat belt, and ect. Your turn little shark...oh wait so you think that FD's should just go to fires??

too cold to ride
    I expressed that you were/are ignorant of the role EMS plays in city service, not that you are an ignorant person in general. Having read your second post, I'll express that now though.

mtbr member
    Was in a similar situation before where a friend forgot his helmet. But in our case, all of us with helmets offered to let him borrow one for the stunts, which he did.

Heal up dude! and ride on. with a helmet!

ozz
    mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ffwlwhite
    Since I am so Ignorant please help me and remember keep it simple. If less than 20% of all fire department calls are to fires how can you so that that is there primary function.
    What I think you problem is that you are bothered by people who do silly acts like not wearing a helmet, driving without a seat belt, and ect. Your turn little shark...oh wait so you think that FD's should just go to fires??
    +1

ride the moment
    Do I go? I've done these stairs many times and yes I had my helmet on, I come on I can do it nothing will happen,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,NOT!
    A good friends SO had a similar experience. He went out longboarding with some friends, got to the top of the hill and realized he forgot his helmet. Since he had boarded the hill many times he just went without it. Anyway, he smacked his head on the concrete and one basilar skull fracture, one helicopter ride, and a couple hours of brain surgery later he died. Be thankful that strawberry is all you got.

As for the other argument in this thread... other than lightning all fires are the result of someone either being a complete moron or at least negligent. If local voters/taxpayers choose not to fund emergency services adequately then that sucks, but claiming you shouldn't do anything that might get you hurt lest the Responders be unavailable for something which might happen and might be worse is just ignorant. I hope you don't ever drive, because a traffic accident could delay the firefighters from a fire as well. And lay off the bacon. If you have a heart attack they might have to come defibrillate you while the whole town burns.
    Hey Butthead, are we gonna die? - Beavis

Aquaman
    I think the shark is just frustrated with people who abuse the EMS services. There are a lot of people in this country who make poor decisions and are unable to rectify there emergencies them self. They then call for emergency services for help. He is just a little old school in his thought that all the fire department should do is fight fires. In fact most FD's want to provide EMS services. By the way here is Cleveland FD's mission statement.

To serve the City of Cleveland with the highest degree of quality and professionalism through a proactive commitment to prevent and mitigate emergency situations where life and property are at risk.

RIS
    banned
    Nov 2009

Blunt, but I"m with the Shark on this one.

Space Ghost
    If helping people who do stupid things and sustain injuries from it bothers EMS/FF/Law Enf. enough, they can find another career, because people making stupid decisions will never go away. As a teacher, if I got pissed every time I had to deal with a student whose parent/s have done them a lifelong disservice in raising them, I would go insane or have to find different employment. Point being, the kid made a stupid choice (no helmet) and is certainly paying for it. He sustained a head injury and is being chastised (by some) for receiving medical treatment. I prefer to believe that he saved them from giving some hypochondriac a taxpayer funded lift to a warm bed and free meal.
    "No good deed goes unpunished"

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I expressed that you were/are ignorant of the role EMS plays in city service, not that you are an ignorant person in general. Having read your second post, I'll express that now though.
    I think you are on the wrong forum. This is where you need to be

http://www.firehouse.com/
    "He was a wise man who invented beer."
    -Plato

Rolling
    This is weird. Power of 1 implies that this photo is him (lack of quotes), as well as the replies, but I thought he was an older guy with a bum leg....I guess some assuming is going on.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=570949

Power of 1might be the biggest troll on mtbr these days given the threads he starts. He seems to love to embellish his stories for drama so seeing a flame war start over EMS is hilarious.
    Last edited by lidarman; 12-09-2009 at 08:04 PM.

too cold to ride
    edit: Nevermind.

Coach417, point taken. And +1M if the op created a joke post or has Benjamin Button syndrome.
    Last edited by BigSharks; 12-09-2009 at 08:21 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    @ lidarman - Nailed it!
    Last edited by azultoyou; 12-09-2009 at 08:38 PM.
    "He was a wise man who invented beer."
    -Plato

Nov 2009
    I'll just have to throw my hands up at the guy that thinks fighting fires is not the primary job of a fireman, and to the chuckleheads that agree with him.
    If less than 20% of the calls are for fires, then it must not be their primary job.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    So why are your friend's videos not posted yet?

Hope you get back to riding soon and remember that helmet ( I'm guessing you will now)

Aug 2009
    Power of 1 to all my dear friends , yes i'm the biker thar rides with one leg in black silk shorts awsome, and this is a picture of my 13 yr son patrick he REALLY IS EVIL KNIEVEL ,patrick has never had any fear, he rode the 10 mile off road course in Temecula on a friggin road bike, no **** my son patrick reminds me of Super Dave, Robby Knievel, Ned Overend and John Tomac patrick is my idol and superstar mtb racer..and well ALWAYS WEAR HIS HELMET or i'll chop his legs off

Aug 2009
    patricks still sore, and your right all the girls love that scar, over the weekend some thought he was in a coma, icu, but he's back in class and carrys his books in a gay roller backback but he has no choice he shoulder really took a beating, he's doing homework and already asking me if he could still do the 12 hours of temecula, CA in jan 2010,, he could bearly move and wants to ride already,,trying to figure out how to upload or post video

Aug 2009

You asked for the video well here it is.....

mtbr member
    lucky you didnt break your face, been there done that, you dont want to go down that road.
    make sure if your going to be doing **** like that, that you have 1, full face helmet, and two, know what your doing, you look completely out of control.

mtbr member
    Can you say Darwin award!
    Take Gravity For A Ride

Grinder
    pushing the limits is how one learns their ability, we start pushing the limit the first time we walk, seems silly, but truly at that stage you really are.

gl
    lol when you said that. i flinched thinking of my kids learning to walk.....
    corners!
    Quote Originally Posted by a stoned guy with a beer in his hand eyeballing your sisters bike
    "i fit my bike to fit me;not for looks...nice did you buy that bike from jc whitney?" Stoner Island 1984

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    dude, you are lucky it wasn't worse than that. looks like you just pushed off at the top and were a runaway train after that

wanna dance?
    Wow, this thread has it all.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HotBlack
    Wow, this thread has it all.
    Not quite.

How 'bout some debating about how a 29'er would have easily rolled the stairs and prevented
    the crash?

-- Evil Patrick

Some of my Music

My Videos

The trail...shall set you free.

mtbr member
    Dude... lean. back.

zod
    Southern Fried mUni
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Patrick
    Not quite.

How 'bout some debating about how a 29'er would have easily rolled the stairs and prevented
    the crash?

pfft.....650B's would have sufficed.....

mtbr member
    question. if you arrived at a location with two fires of equal size and situation, in this case really cool dh and am bikes on one side and a pile of 29ers on the other, which would you respond to rescue first? discuss...

mtbr member
    This guy uses the same brand of helmet.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1WhmvHYOBL0&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1WhmvHYOBL0&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
    -- Evil Patrick

Some of my Music

My Videos

The trail...shall set you free.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 53119
    question. if you arrived at a location with two fires of equal size and situation, in this case really cool dh and am bikes on one side and a pile of 29ers on the other, which would you respond to rescue first? discuss...
    Easy. DH and AM rigs.. if the wheels and forks weren't completely toasted, they would at least be compatible with 99% of everything else out there.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by drexlerkm
    Easy. DH and AM rigs.. if the wheels and forks weren't completely toasted, they would at least be compatible with 99% of everything else out there.
    +1...and because they're better and more fun ofcourse (for me)!

mtbr member
    Frickin hilarious video! It just goes to show you that even if you're a nazi skinhead, you should still wear your helmet.

Grinder
    Quote Originally Posted by 53119
    both i have a big hose
    Quote Originally Posted by a stoned guy with a beer in his hand eyeballing your sisters bike
    "i fit my bike to fit me;not for looks...nice did you buy that bike from jc whitney?" Stoner Island 1984

Grinder
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Patrick
    This guy uses the same brand of helmet.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1WhmvHYOBL0&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1WhmvHYOBL0&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
    lol he still cleared most of the stairs bad form though

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    were you sitting on your seat when you were riding down the stairs?
    also looked like your crank arms were vertical not horizontal like they should be.

oh and like drexlerkm said, LEAN BACK.
    you are lucky that road rash facial is all you got.

mtbr member
    Here is a thread from a few years back demonstrating why to ALWAYS wear a helmet

https://forums.mtbr.com/apparel-protection/always-wear-you-helmet-nasty-picture-111566.html

Aug 2009
    Here are two youtube links of my son patrick without a helmet crashing

and 6 days later going down the same stairs but with a helmet

HORRIFIC http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmTHLMIKG94

made it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zO1iCDDz7Sc

Aug 2009
    Sorry here is the one with the helmet http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2Rc3iI4vDI

And here wearing THE HELMET http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zO1iCDDz7Sc

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Sorry here is the one with the helmet http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2Rc3iI4vDI

Considering he is doing it TERRIBLY WRONG WITH the helmet, why in the world would you let him do it again WITHOUT a helmet?!

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by fightnut
    Considering he is doing it TERRIBLY WRONG WITH the helmet, why in the world would you let him do it again WITHOUT a helmet?!
    +1
    terribly wrong
    bikes:
    2002 Specialized RockHopper A1 FS

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodember
    This would make a great signature.

mtbr member

Really!!! 6 days after
    Fire department, ambulance and a trip to childrens hosp, cat scans and x-rays
    And the only thing you learned is put a helmet on. And doesn't look like a full face helmet? Come on, do you really think the helmet was the only difference between him not making the first time and making it the second time. The only reason he made it in the second video is pure LUCK. Technique still all wrong, in fact one foot is off the pedal showing how much(LITTLE) control he has.

You are proving the point raised of abusing the first responders emergency system.

You seem proud of your son.
    Last edited by dagenhay; 12-12-2009 at 12:29 AM.
    Take Gravity For A Ride

the test dummy
    reason number one i always ware a helmet
    Quote Originally Posted by craftworks750
    Riding a mtb is like a reset button, 10 mins in and there is nothing else in the world that matters.
    my bikes
    -
    Ben

mtbr member

Your son has the worse technique for descending, particularly staircases.

By the second set, his foot is off the pedal.

If you don't have both feet on the pedals, there is no way to get your weight all the way back, the key to prevent going over the bars.

And just because you are wearing a helmet, doesn't mean you can't crash on your face. If you or your son is maxing out his skill level, put on a full-face. Actually, on a long staircase where the penalty is landing on concrete, put on a full-face.

And finally, there is nothing saying you have to ride staircases. I've only ridden a staircase this long once, and my riding career seems to be progressing fine.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Good job using your head on that one. Hope you have a speedy recovery and are able to ride soon. Oh, and try not to get hooked on the pain pills.

mtbr member

kinda makes me think of this guy, which will make you wear a helmet and at least lay down some foam on your stem doesnt it?

Probably drunk right now

sigh....

It's like a train wreck. I just can't help myself....

1. I hope the kid is okay and suffers no long term affects of his crash.
    2. Someone should teach that kid how to ride a bike.
    3. Stairs aren't tough nor do they require any special skill to ride. Unless the rise is greater than 13", there's no real difference between riding down stairs and descending a hill with the same slope.
    4. BigSharks: If 1st response is part of a Firefighter's job description or part of fire department's mission; then I suggest your comments and defense of your comments are off base. Unless of course, the mission or job description excludes responses caused by accident or mistakes that could have been avoided by making better decisions. I'm guessing that there's no such description anywhere in a mission statement or job description for any 1st responder.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    i'm just wondering do his "friends" at the top laughing at him know how to ride down stairs correctly?
    if they do, why haven't they taught him how to?

my wife, on her 4th day riding a bmx bike rode down a 12set of stairs. almost ate ****, but it was her 4th day of riding a bike. also to her defense it was pretty steep.
    "ass behind and lower than the seat" steep.
    bikes:

i'm amazed that kid didn't eat **** the second time down the stairs.

one foot off the pedal, didn't even roll into it...just started from the top, all his weight was forward.

pretty remarkable.

mtbr member
    Some people just shouldn't be allowed to have children.

mtbr member

Agree with Sanjuro and others

Your son needs to learn how to ride before trying stairs like that. He looks like he has no clue what he is doing, and cleared the stairs by luck.

I was gonna say something similar about lack of skills after only the 'crash' video was posted, but wasn't sure if it was just a one-time slip up and ergo the fall, and I didn't want to sound like an insensitive arse, but it appears my assumption was right..
    Last edited by grrrah; 12-12-2009 at 06:42 PM.

too cold to ride
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken in KC
    4. BigSharks: If 1st response is part of a Firefighter's job description or part of fire department's mission; then I suggest your comments and defense of your comments are off base. Unless of course, the mission or job description excludes responses caused by accident or mistakes that could have been avoided by making better decisions. I'm guessing that there's no such description anywhere in a mission statement or job description for any 1st responder.
    Hey- your opinion is as valid as anyone's. The kid deserved the quick attention he received, but it would be sad indeed if time the FD spent there delayed them in getting to another run that couldn't have been as easily prevented.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Kid wrecks on some stairs without a helmet=dumbasssssss.

Did I miss anything?
    CAMBr West
    Gives us a couple bucks and we'll give you some trails with sweet jumps and stuff.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Seanbike
    Kid wrecks on some stairs without a helmet=dumbasssssss.

Did I miss anything?
    Yes, his father proudly encourages continued wrecking opportunities.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Glad you're feelin better, but I think this song's pretty fitting for this thread.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/pGabMj4p1gY&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pGabMj4p1gY&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGabMj4p1gY

mtbr member
    your in cleveland. Just go to rays and learn how to ride on the beginner course. Problem solved =]

FPT
    Aug 2009
    http://jeff.dean.home.att.net/swisher.htm

nice read on helmets. Highly recommend it.

Grip it and rip it.
    Quote Originally Posted by morsetaper2

CHI - CHING!!
    "Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional"

michaelmblog.wordpress.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2008

How'd I miss an EMS flamewar?

You're absolutely correct. Every day in my city our service hits "level 0" this means every unit on is already responding to a call and there are no ambulances available for the next call. Units will be sent from the county or the next town over, but this takes time.

How do you think we feel when we hear legitimate calls get delayed because someone thinks we're a taxi?

As for ungodly amounts of overtime, in the last 7 days I have put in 96 hours spread between 2 departments I work for. Through next weekend I have 36 more scheduled, in one chunk.

Aquaman
    Quote Originally Posted by emtnate
    How'd I miss an EMS flamewar?

You're absolutely correct. Every day in my city our service hits "level 0" this means every unit on is already responding to a call and there are no ambulances available for the next call. Units will be sent from the county or the next town over, but this takes time.

How do you think we feel when we hear legitimate calls get delayed because someone thinks we're a taxi?

As for ungodly amounts of overtime, in the last 7 days I have put in 96 hours spread between 2 departments I work for. Through next weekend I have 36 more scheduled, in one chunk.
    How does this relate......the OP was not using ems as a taxi?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    My comment wasn't really aimed at the OP, rather all the other posts in this thread about our job descriptions in Fire/EMS. I think there is only one poster who understands how thinly we are staffed and how taxing preventable accidents and those who abuse the system can be to others that may need our services.

Those kind of events are what we're here for. Looking at that video, I doubt a helmet would have prevented the banged up face in the picture anyway. All the joking that goes on in private aside, we take our job seriously and give everyone the care they need, regardless of how they got sick or hurt.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    there is no such thing as a preventable accident.
    that is an oxymoron
    bikes:

Aquaman
    Hey- your opinion is as valid as anyone's. The kid deserved the quick attention he received, but it would be sad indeed if time the FD spent there delayed them in getting to another run that couldn't have been as easily prevented.

So is your whole point is people need to be protected from themselves?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    man that video was just so dumb, helmet is not even the primary issue to me,just doing stupid sh1t with absolutely no skill ,no....jeez,if he'd crashed at the first flat.... Stunts and tricks and stuff worth being on video are things you practice, stuff you figure out,and work up to ,a calculated,very calculated, risk.Usually it's not even that risky, the physics are thought out. I guess you could say that having a lot in the helmet makes it less and less likely that the helmet will ever be needed yet you still wear it because the last little thing your intellegence tells you is that you could have made a mistake in your plans or slip up in the execution.

Unpredictable
    Time to ease up everyone - the guy is already "scared" for life. Don't scare him more.

too cold to ride
    Quote Originally Posted by ffwlwhite
    So is your whole point is people need to be protected from themselves?
    You're not very bright, are you?

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridnparadise
    Time to ease up everyone - the guy is already "scared" for life. Don't scare him more.
    well sometimes being scared is better than being smart.
    the kid needs to learn how to ride down stairs correctly before he tries stuff like that.
    he needs to find a 3-5 set of stairs with perfect rise/run and practice till it is perfect.
    then step up to more flights of small sets.

a lot of people are too stupid to be scared to do stuff. maybe stupid is not the right word i want to use, but it gets the point across.

all it takes is one good "eat **** crash" to knock some fear in to your head.
    my good eat **** crash was riding my mtn bike down a street (steep hill) with my dad when i was 13 years old.
    we were in a 35mph zone and almost keeping up with traffic.
    i took my hand off the handle bars to scratch my nose, ran over a manhole cover and got tossed off my bike and slid quite a few yards.

i was probably going 28mph when i hit the ground.
    i always wore shorts and tee shirts. when i rode with my dad i had to wear jeans and long sleeves.
    the road ate through my jeans and my skin. also ate through my shirt and skin.
    i don't even want to think of the scars i'd have if i wasn't wearing pants and long sleeves.

that wasn't my only hard crash, but that was the one that taught me **** happens
    bikes:

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I agree, it took a good scare for me when I was that age to be a more careful and to not push my limits as far at once. I took a few hard hits that left more than just scars.

The kid in the post needs to back down a little bit. Be smart, start small and work your way up.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by herbn
    man that video was just so dumb, helmet is not even the primary issue to me,just doing stupid sh1t with absolutely no skill ,no....jeez,if he'd crashed at the first flat.... Stunts and tricks and stuff worth being on video are things you practice, stuff you figure out,and work up to ,a calculated,very calculated, risk.Usually it's not even that risky, the physics are thought out. I guess you could say that having a lot in the helmet makes it less and less likely that the helmet will ever be needed yet you still wear it because the last little thing your intellegence tells you is that you could have made a mistake in your plans or slip up in the execution.
    lol ... your voice is gonna fall on deaf ears ... or at least drown out by, of all others, his dad who is cheering him on in this very thread.

Members who have read this thread: 0