2FO's after 2 yrs of use- Mtbr.com
    Finally!

2FO's after 2 yrs of use

Just thought I would plug these awesone shoes. Used them for 2 full seasons including more than half the winter in between. The only washing has been a quick hose down after a muddy ride. They do not stink like swamp as other shoes have. The uppers still look like I have only used them once. Great ventilation in summer but cold as can be in winter. I used the thick sock/plastic bag thing after it got seriously cold. These are mostly synthetic material so they do not retain sweat or swamp water and never got smelly. They are also much stiffer than a skate shoe but not enough to make you walk weird off the bike. The soles are wearing (very hard to capture in the pics) but I use Saint pedals with the spacers out and these shred shoes. I did have a sizing issue and had to order a full size larger than all of my other shoes but other than that I would highly recommend these.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    So how is the grip on these? I'm considering these myself and wondering how it compares to the 5/10 Impacts?

Finally!
    The grip is strong enough on the long spikes that I have to lift my foot to reposition. Anything better would be a clip. I have never slid off even with caking mud .

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I've got 1 season on my 2 FO and they are working and wearing well, I have had some instances with foot slip, but it could have been from my poor positioning when hitting gnarly stuff in muddy conditions. I would def reccomend them as well but my next show will be 5:10 impact XVI's, primarily to give them their fair chance.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I've had my 2FO's since March, and have ridden them a ton. So much better made than any Five Ten's I've used, and much better designed uppers. In spite of their strengths, though, I definitely wouldn't buy them again. The sole is quite a lot stiffer and less grippy than Five Ten Impacts, so the pedal feel is pretty wooden, and they bounce around a bit on rough terrain and jumps.

It's really too bad, because these shoes spank Five Tens in so many ways.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by albeant View Post
    I've had my 2FO's since March, and have ridden them a ton. So much better made than any Five Ten's I've used, and much better designed uppers. In spite of their strengths, though, I definitely wouldn't buy them again. The sole is quite a lot stiffer and less grippy than Five Ten Impacts, so the pedal feel is pretty wooden, and they bounce around a bit on rough terrain and jumps.

It's really too bad, because these shoes spank Five Tens in so many ways.
    I've have five ten rock climbing shoes and they are great!! However I dont have any experience with their cycling shoes, But you are correct the Uppers on these shoes are made so well, Any other normal shoe would have come apart at the seams after such abuse. Y

YOu brought up the point of the sole being stiff, I def have to agree to that, but since I do a fair amount of climbing that stiff sole is welcomed. But you are right the Grip could feel alot better. So the stiff and not so tacky sole is probably not the best combination

I saw a review of the new 5/10 Impacts and review said the sole is stiffer but the they changed rubber suppliers and are using a stickier/tackier rubber. So I'm excited to try that out next season.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    A pair of 2FOs side by side with a pair of 5-10 free rider XI. Both right at a year old. The 5-10s see more rough off-road because the stick to the pedals better. The 2FOs see longer rides because they are stiffer. I think the pics show which ones my pedals dig into better. Btw. The fact that pins have drug all the way through the Stealth layer does no impact the grip

2FO's after 2 yrs of use-img_1800.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by riding4life View Post
    I've have five ten rock climbing shoes and they are great!! However I dont have any experience with their cycling shoes, But you are correct the Uppers on these shoes are made so well, Any other normal shoe would have come apart at the seams after such abuse. Y

YOu brought up the point of the sole being stiff, I def have to agree to that, but since I do a fair amount of climbing that stiff sole is welcomed. But you are right the Grip could feel alot better. So the stiff and not so tacky sole is probably not the best combination

I saw a review of the new 5/10 Impacts and review said the sole is stiffer but the they changed rubber suppliers and are using a stickier/tackier rubber. So I'm excited to try that out next season.
    Yeah, the pedal feel is basically my major issue with the 2fo. I wear the shoes for big climbing days too, and while the stiffness is fine on the climb, I'd rather have a little more conforming shoe, and rely on large pedal platforms to give me the stiffness I need.

As for old and new Impacts, the regular Impact still uses the older S1 rubber, which is durable and sticky. All of the VXi stuff uses the Mi6 rubber, which IME is junk. It looks like next year's Freerider Pro will have the S1 rubber, so that looks promising, along with the current generation Impact low that has been lightened up a bit in the upper.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Yeah, 2 year old S1 verses one year old MI6. Soles on older Freeriders S1 are less stiff which helps with grip, but you can see the difference in longevity. I do a lot of urban rides on both these, so a ton of bunny hoppy, but I think the wear occurs on the down slops.

2FO's after 2 yrs of use-img_1802.jpg

Finally!
    Personally I like the stiff soles. This was one of the reasons I chose this shoe. I do a very mixed bag of riding and you can see from my wear paterns that I spend a lot of time on the ball of the foot vs the instep. I have never had a bounce issue either. All of this being said you must keep in mind the shoe is only half of the equation. It's the shoe/pedal combo that makes or breaks a good setup. Some people like shorter pins and more flexible shoes. There is no right or wrong answer just right or wrong for you.
    Also concave vs convex with affect your like/dislike of flexy or stiff soles.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I've used my 2fo's with Syntace Numbernines, sz L, Spank Spikes, and Chromag Contacts--and I really hate convex pedals--so my experience is based largely on that.

As for the grip, for me it feels fine until something happens that unweights a pedal a bit, like charging into a rock garden or hitting a double. Then (for me) the difference between the 2fo and Impact is pretty significant, and I'm thinking about the shoes/pedals more than I'd like to have to.

Members who have read this thread: 1