2015 Pearl Izumi X-Project- Mtbr.com
    meh

2015 Pearl Izumi X-Project

Just wanted to post up about these shoes, not something I do for gear usually. They are the most comfortable I've ever worn, no contest. I am coming from most recently Lake MX331, Sidi Drako, Lake MX330, and some mid range Shimano & Specialized (models elude me).
    Seamless/welded upper is fantastic with or without socks, generous padding in all the right places, the toe flex is functional/noticeable off the bike and disappears on the pedals, and the new BOA dials and location on the tongue are greatly improved from the other 3 shoes that have had it. I broke the outside metatarsal of one of my feet a few years back so I tend to get some cramping there, this shoe has been by far the best at managing that almost to being nonexistent (probably just means the last shape is a great fit for my foot shape). The black is stealthy, moreso than the pics show, and combined with the sleek look I have been getting a ton of compliments...not something I really care about, but it has been a common theme to my rides. I went with the 2.0 due to the dial/cable layout, preferring a snug upper/mid foot and loose toe (the upper dial gets me perfectly fit, and the velcro I leave loose). Think there may have been issues with the outgoing model so time will tell on these, but I have logged probably 300mi of mtb, road, and cx riding with zero complaints so far.
    If you are on the hunt for new kicks, these should be at the top of your list.

2015 Pearl Izumi X-Project-71c-7gdcr8l._ux575_.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I wish I could like them. They are just too narrow.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Always a fan of Pearl Izumi gear and these shoes look great. The only problem I have with the BOA dial is that I don't know if I can ever go back to shoes without them.

meh
    They are def not the widest...but have more room than sidis, less than shimanos. With an average width foot they have plenty of room for me.
    Love BOA too, would have it on all my non shoes if possible. This latest iteration is a nice step up from past dials ive used.

EDR
    Vibram sole?

May contain nuts
    How long do Boa closures last? One thing I hate is breaking buckles etc on shoes that otherwise have plenty of life left in them...

meh
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride View Post
    Vibram sole?
    Not Vibram, but somewhat sticky.

Quote Originally Posted by Haggis View Post
    How long do Boa closures last? One thing I hate is breaking buckles etc on shoes that otherwise have plenty of life left in them...
    The BOA dials/cables are user replaceable, and the replacement parts are free from BOA should you need them.
    I had a failure on my first BOA's, Lake MX330, but it was more to do with Lake's poor design than BOA. The dial was on the heel and there were runs of cable in a housing inside the sides of the shoe, once the housing got contaminated, the shoe was lost as the cables couldn't be removed and reinstalled. That's why I think this new design is great, no internal routing and the dial on the tongue is out of the way from most trail damage vs the previous crop locating it on the sides/rear of shoes.

Auto Racer
    The '15 versions have a slightly wider toe box. I had the 1st gen x-project 1.0 and they were great, now have the 2nd gen double BOA dial 1.0 versions. Wider toe box is appreciated, and the new closure system is really great. You can really get the fit exactly where you want it on the fly. Still walkable, solid traction even when scrambling up and down technical terrain. Plus with new closure I don't rub and mark up my cranks like the 1st gen did with the adjustable instep strap mounting point on the medial side. Overall very happy with them, starting to see a lot more of them on the trails.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    The deal with these shoes was suppose to be their walkability. Are these more hike bike friendly than say my Sidi Dominators?

b a n n e d
    I'm pretty interested in these shoes . . . anyone have a longterm update? I'm pretty rough on my shoes, but really want the carbon sole. I've grown accustomed to the rigidity it offers, but do a fair bit more HAB here in Vegas than I used to in SoCal, so the added flex this purport to offer would be very welcome.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

meh
    Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    I'm pretty interested in these shoes . . . anyone have a longterm update? I'm pretty rough on my shoes, but really want the carbon sole. I've grown accustomed to the rigidity it offers, but do a fair bit more HAB here in Vegas than I used to in SoCal, so the added flex this purport to offer would be very welcome.
    Have been running them for about a year now as my only pair (mtb, commute, and road/cx). Zero issues so far, still highly recommended, considering a second pair so i can have a different cleat position for my road/cx riding. The BOA dials are a great improvement over past BOA models I've used. I think they are pretty walkable, they obviously aren't like a pair of skate shoe-esque (ie 5.10s), but better than non flexible soles.

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by clewttu View Post
    Have been running them for about a year now as my only pair (mtb, commute, and road/cx). Zero issues so far, still highly recommended, considering a second pair so i can have a different cleat position for my road/cx riding. The BOA dials are a great improvement over past BOA models I've used. I think they are pretty walkable, they obviously aren't like a pair of skate shoe-esque (ie 5.10s), but better than non flexible soles.
    Thanks for the update. I'll probably pick up a pair . . .
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!