2010 S-Works Shoes - durability?- Mtbr.com
    CDB
    mtbr member
    Jan 2007

2010 S-Works Shoes - durability?

I've been using Specialized shoes exclusively since 2003, except for one pair of Sidi's in there for half a season. The Speci shoes fit my foot well for both the road, mtb, and cx.

I've just killed my second pair of S-Works mtb shoes in a year, and am concerned w/ the durability of the newest version I'd be replacing them with, 2010 model.

Though the BOA doesn't last that long, it is replaceable unlike the velcro which seems to wear out in less than a season (just like all shoes). One benefit I see w/ the new 2010 design is the replaceable treads. My concern is that the carbon sole is hollow foam core. I have broken one pair of shoes by cracking the sole, and also ripped the short toe spike thread inserts out of every pair i've owned. The pair I'm using now is only 6 mo's use, which I would call the 2009 model.

Anyone else out there have comparable experience using both types 09/10? How about that glossy new upper material? Does that get scuffed up or does it remain clean and shiny w/ a quick wash with a moist towel?

Am I wrong to think that a shoe this expensive should last longer than 3/4 of a year? Every review I've read about these shoes talks about how it's an investment that will last 2-3 years. I can't imagine HOW I could get a pair to last that long. The last pair I broke, I attempted to get them warrantied and they just kind of scoffed at me, saying they looked worn. Other shops have always warrantied my damaged shoes in years past, but that was when I lived in a different state and the local S-Works dealers were significantly better in the customer service department.

BTW, I'm not a huge guy, but 6'2" and 170lbs.

mtbr member
    I have had two previous sworks mtb shoes and I have had nothing but trouble with the BOA system. I love the shoes but they are expensive for only lasting my 1 season. I have now wear a lesser pair that only has velcro and they have worked great. On my sworks I noticed the BOA system would break by stripped out the knob. They do make replacement parts for the shoes but that is another 10-20 bucks for a knob. I wish they would make the knob out of metal so that it didn't strip.

CDB
    mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    This is the new 2010 model I'm referring to:

These are the last two pair I've worn out in the last year:

Before that, I killed a pair of these:

And before that, a pair of these:

I went through three pair of Sidi Dominator 2's prior to that. Actually, the 3rd pair (2004) is still good, I just can't stand how flexy the sole is so I keep them as a backup. I guess I've only been using the MTB shoes since 2005, so that's about one pair a year.

CDB
    mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I know what you mean about the knobs. I replaced mine twice, and re-built it one more time when it got clogged w/ dirt/dust. I feel that the fit (power lacing mode) is far superior to what I get from velcro straps or ratchet buckles (which in my opinion are not more durable).

I find that with velcro, it get's lazy as it wears. In other words, the velcro is always being put in the same position, and as it wears, it wants to slip a little so it doesn't want to remain nice and tightly gripped/closed. My sidi's were particularly bad in this regard.

If I had it my way, the s-works mtb shoe would have the 2 boa system, like the road version, rather than the single velcro strap near the toe.

mtbr member
    the bottom velcro is never changed on the s works. I don't think i ever adjusted mine after the initial fit.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I've had by '10 for about 6 months. The upper still seem brand new and the treads have just begun to show some wear. The carbon bottoms show the most wear were rocks hit between the treads during a HAB, just scratches, nothing structural. I guess spen a decent amount of time HABing and the shoes have been totaly soaked and mud saturated several times. The boas are still in great shape as well. I'd say there holding up great so far.

I wore my previous '08 model exclusively for two years and still do when the conditions are really bad. I when through a couple of boa dials early on until I changed to the high arch foot bed. Seen I had to crank down too hard, damaging the plastic ratchet mechanisims, too get a tight fit. Once I went to the high arch foot bed a newly installed boa system lasted more than a year.

Overall they're the most comfortable shoe I've ever had, they're light, and have great power transfer. There well worth the price. They might not fit some feet however and fit is key.

Yen
    mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    my 2008 s works have been superb but the laces are not very durable. I have had to replace the boa lace several times on both shoes but luckily there are readily available.

i also havent touched the bottom velcro since the initial fit.

Overall a great shoe and i will be buying the 2010 version soon :-)

mtbr member
    Sep 2006

S-Works Durability

I have about 2 years on the silver pairs shown above. I have broken one boa lace which I replaced. They've been through a lot and I haven't had any cracked soles or problems with the dials. I do hit the boa laces and the guides they move through periodically with silcone spray to keep them moving smoothly and that seems to help. These shoes are very light, super comfortable, and fit me real well. I will never go back to Sidis as they don't compare.

mtbr member
    My specialized shoes have not been very reliable, lugs craking and tearing off, material peeling of the top and puckles coming aprt before they should.

I have one pair of Sidi that is now 6 years old and still going. I have bought 3 pairs of specialized shoes that last aout 1.5 years and falls apart. I was using my Sidi's as back up shoes but they are now full time.

I'll never buy Specialized shoes again!!. There gloves fall apart too!!

Do not have problem with anything else they make.
    He who dies with the most toys, still dies

mtbr member
    I've been beating the crap out of the 2009 white Sworks models you have pictured in Silver above for over two years. Never had a problem w/ the boa system though it will get sticky after really muddy rides but a good cleaning and some lube will get them going again (and they even still look mostly white!). Would buy them again in a flat second. Best mtb shoe I have ever owned.

Members who have read this thread: 0