‘Shell’ waterproof gloves without any insulation for fairly warm rainy conditions?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007

‘Shell’ waterproof gloves without any insulation for fairly warm rainy conditions?

Hi guys!

I'm looking for thin ‘shell’ waterproof gloves without any insulation for cycling in a fairly warm but rainy conditions where usual road cycling full finger gloves become too cold to ride in due to their wetting and any waterproof glows are too hot due to their thickness. As to me, the best decision is to buy a pair of gore-tex glows that have insulation inserts and take the inserts out. Any ideas what model of such glows having thin inserts to buy? Any other suggestions would also be highly appreciated.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Look for snow sports close out deals. Used to run Burton AK 3L gloves, their top end that all liners could be removed. I now use Aryteryx 3L mit. Hands down fastest drying gloves I've have. 3L construction means there's only the single laminate cloth. Pretty much all other waterproof snow sport gloves have the outer shell, then the Gore/PTFE membrane layer, and then an inner cloth layer to protect the membrane. 3L glove/mits are rare tho, only ones I know of are Burton and Aryteryx. They're harder to make because they have to tape all the seams. Other gloves with the separate membrane the membrane section comes as a prefab unit that they just sew into the gloves. 3L is awesome though, so light and thin but still completely water and windproof, I'd have a hard time going back to anything else. I don't use it for bicycle ridIng though, no need where I live.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    To provide a dissenting opinion:

Make peace with getting wet on sport rides; wear gloves that still retain some modicum of protection when wet. You have to understand that everything will get wet eventually, and choose accordingly. Fairly baggy leather gloves (think well fitting work gloves), can be covered in protectants to make the gloves, more or less, waterproof. Nylon gloves, even if coated in sealers, will get wetted from prolonged exposure, and soak through. After working in the outdoor industry for several years, I no longer drink the 'waterproof/breathable' kool-aid.

The air gap, inside the glove, becomes your friend, in this case. In a tight fitting glove, the water-logged glove can then conduct heat away from you with no issue. In a slightly looser fit, your warmth increases greatly.

I find warm-ish rain the hardest to dress well for, but as long as being 100% dry is not required, you have many more options to choose from. Neoprene, in particular, rules for cases like this, as the cellular structure ensures the capture of air. Check fishing stores for good, cheap neoprene gloves. Some even have reinforced fingers for protection from braided nylon line, which can serve well as the control interface for a bicycle. Thin (1.0-1.5mm) would be ideal, but work with what you've got.