$50-70 Helmet choices- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2009

$50-70 Helmet choices

Hey Guys,
    I started riding again about 6 months ago, and I am realizing that I need a new helmet. I do not have a lot of cash to spend on a helmet, but I do want something that looks alright, not a cheap walmart one. Any ideas. IF it helps I am 6'5 and skinny, so I already look dumb in a helmet, are there any other riders that have found helmets they love?
    Thanks

Underskilled
    Asking for advice on specific helmets is a very bad idea.

the fit is the most important thing, try on a variety of brands and see what fits snugly on all sides and does not roll.

I fit Giro helmets quite well, I would love a MET parachute, but it doesn't fit so no good =-(
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I'm in the same boat. Been out of riding for a long time and the helmet I'm using is about 15 years old and been moved through several duty stations.
    Been thinking about replacing with a nutcase. Anyone have any experience with them?

Pimpmobile
    Mar 2010
    I currently have a Giro Indicator, universal fit, that's quite comfortable...

bikeisland sells them for $35.00 shipped.

Not the most stylish thing, but if it keeps the yolk in the shell....
    "Fear not the ob-stackles in your path"

mtbr member
    It does not matter what other people think - it matters that it fits properly.

All the helmets are built to the same crash standards. Biggest difference between a $20 helmet and a $200 will be cooling and weight.

Get into your LBS and start trying on all sorts!

P.S. we all look dumb in helmets. And Lycra shorts. And covered in mud........

All fat, all the time.
    Yep goto LBS & try some on. I just bought a new one, a Bell (dunno the model) fit me real nice, about $79 or so.
    only way I would buy a helmet online is if I was getting the exact replacement that I already had tried & knew it fit.

Blue Pig
    Any helmet will do. They are all made to keep us safe. (mandatory) I still use my, Bell Venture Helmet Universal. $30 well spent.
    Ragley Blue Pig

Underskilled
    Quote Originally Posted by HamfisT
    I currently have a Giro Indicator, universal fit, that's quite comfortable...

bikeisland sells them for $35.00 shipped.

Not the most stylish thing, but if it keeps the yolk in the shell....

"Any helmet will do. They are all made to keep us safe. (mandatory) I still use my, Bell Venture Helmet Universal. $30 well spent."

There are two types of peeps in the beginners forum,
    1: Experts who want to help new guys avoid the mistakes they made
    2: beginners who wish to spout their new-found 'knowledge'.

The above two posts are from type 2.

Try to learn to differentiate between people who know from experience and the uninformed.
    In this case it may save serious injury.

There is no such thing as universal fit, therefore any helmet will not do!

get one that fits snugly all over, does not rotate and does not move.

The difference may be slight in the shop, but huge on the trail.

for the standard story to avoid.
    Picture your wife fully unconscious on the trail in convulsions and you fighting to keep her breathing until the helicopter arrives.
    She is fine now, but trust me I do not skimp on helmet fit any more, even if someone is just a beginner and 'doesn't need a fancy helmet'.

You are more likely to crash while new, this is when you need a good helmet most.
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?

AZ
    banned
    FWIW , helmets are tested to meet minimum safety standards . Some will surpass these standards by a wide margin , while others will barely meet them . So when someone states that they are all the same they obviously have no idea what they are talking about . Many helmets also give more options for customizing fit , and fit is of the utmost importance when choosing a helmet . Higher end helmets not only can fit better , they also often have superior construction and venting . The superior venting can be a life saver on those really hot and humid days . Choose wisely , more importantly , be careful of the advice given on these forums . Good luck .

mtbr member
    Sound judgement will always out-perform a sound helmet.

Disgruntled Peccary
    Quote Originally Posted by SwampDonkeyDisco
    Sound judgement will always out-perform a sound helmet.
    While mostly true, I had a front wheel taco on me. Resulting in a fast trip OTB with accompanying separated ribs and a cracked helmet. Hard to out-judge that.
    mike

Blue Pig
    lol...

Guys... send him money then to buy the pro helmet with the built in carbon made AC if you're gonna come with the pro vs beginner nonsense.

It does not matter what other people think - it matters that it fits properly.

All the helmets are built to the same crash standards. Biggest difference between a $20 helmet and a $200 will be cooling and weight.

006_007 couldn't have written it any better.
    Ragley Blue Pig

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Blksocks
    lol...

Guys... send him money then to buy the pro helmet with the built in carbon made AC if you're gonna come with the pro vs beginner nonsense.

006_007 couldn't have written it any better.

The quote your using to support your argument is incorrect , Helmets are tested to the same minimum standard . Some helmets are much better than the minimum . 5 dollar head , 5 dollar helmet .

mtbr member
    I was in the market for helmets a couple of weeks ago and tried quite a few of them. I think the skate style helmets offer more head coverage and look less dorky when off the saddle.

I pulled the trigger on a Pro-Tec SXP helmet. Here's why:

https://www.pro-tec.net/bike/helmets_overall.html

MULI-IMPACT SXP VS EPS

Surface-activated expanded Polypropylene
    a patented multi-impact helmet technology that is ideal for the aggressive riding style of
    action sports athletes.

Rebound Properties
    When EPS helmets take a hard hit, the foam liner
    compresses and stays compressed, losing most of its impact-absorbing properties.

Because multi-impact SXP has built-in rebound control, once the helmet liner has been compressed, multi-impact SXP memory kicks in and the liner rebounds to its original shape, maintaining its impact-absorbing qualities.

What’s the secret? Memory!

Multi-impact SXP technology uses a patented Surface Activation Process to offer consumers unprecedented multiple-impact
    protection in a lightweight helmet.

Pro-tec multi-impact SXP helmets are the only lightweight, multi-impact helmets to be CPSC-approved, and deliver the
    style and fit our customers demand.

Multi-impact SXP liners can be found on our B2 and Ace helmets.
    EPS liners can be found on our Classic helmet.

Multi-Impact SXP Certified Liners
    • Patented multi-impact material that is ideal for aggressive riding style.
    • Multi-impact SXP liners have built in rebound control. Once the liners have been compressed,
    multi-impact SXP memory kicks in and the liner rebounds, maintaining its impact absorbing qualities.
    • Multi-impact SXP are the only lightweight multi impact helmets to be CE/CPSC certified and still
    deliver the style and fit that customers deserve.
    • Multi-impact SXP liners can be found in our B2 and Ace helmets

Disgruntled Peccary
    Too bad they're hotter than hell too. Not so bueno here.
    mike

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS
    The quote your using to support your argument is incorrect , Helmets are tested to the same minimum standard . Some helmets are much better than the minimum . 5 dollar head , 5 dollar helmet .

True, no two helmets will offer the same protection, but I highly doubt you have anything documented that lists which are "better" then others.

Out of curiosity - in your professional opinion what makes one helmet that meets CPSC requirements better then another helmet that also meets? And lets pretend this is based just on xc lids (wont even get started on the FF CPSC VS DOT benefits).

DOOM
    http://www.bhsi.org/guide.htm is a good place to start

mtbr member
    5 dollar head , 5 dollar helmet .
    2006 consumer reports tested the Trek Anthem helmets that sold for $129 and failed them...Trek recalled them. The bell citi which is a $30 helmet got one of the highest ratings.

http://www.bhsi.org/cu_2006.htm

Obviously some helmets are better than others. But there's no proof that a more expensive one will protect the pumpkin any better than a $20 Bell helmet bought at Target.

Disgruntled Peccary
    Quote Originally Posted by Dictatorsaurus
    2006 consumer reports tested the Trek Anthem helmets that sold for $129 and failed them...Trek recalled them. The bell citi which is a $30 helmet got one of the highest ratings.

http://www.bhsi.org/cu_2006.htm

Obviously some helmets are better than others. But there's no proof that a more expensive one will protect the pumpkin any better than a $20 Bell helmet bought at Target.
    Yea, but I'll tell you.. my Giro Atmos is a heck of a lot more comfortable than a Bell Citi. Really only important when wearing for several hours when it's over 90º though perhaps.
    mike

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dysfunction
    Yea, but I'll tell you.. my Giro Atmos is a heck of a lot more comfortable than a Bell Citi. Really only important when wearing for several hours when it's over 90º though perhaps.
    I'm using a Giro Hex and while it fits me great, it feels like wearing a brick. So darn heavy. Ordered the Giro Indicator which is lighter and looks cooler, IMO.

Disgruntled Peccary
    yea, I have a Xen as well, that I do like, but is a bit on the bulky side. In the winter though, it rocks.
    mike

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    This is a point that I think most people dont understand. For a bike helmet to pass the test, is struck by an anvil to simulate a collision and the peak acceleration of the head can not exceed 300gs. They run the test under a couple of conditions and a couple of the tests are repeated and if all of the sample helmets pass then the helmet now meets the certification standard.

The real problem is that virtually none of the manufacturers will release the test data so there is no way to know which helmets perform better.

To answer 006_007s question lets say helmet A allows peak acceleration of your melon at 200gs, and helmet B allows peak acceleration of 250gs. Which do you think is the better helmet? Both meet the standard but one clearly performs better. DOT motorcycle helmets are allowed peak acceleration of 400gs, but they also have duration limits as well. Snell motorcycle helmets allow peak acceleration of 300gs with no duration limits so if youre looking for a MX type helmet I would always look for a SNELL helmet as opposed to DOT.

Bell used to run ads for their auto racing helmets that said $10 helmet? $10 head.

Not to say that there are not quality and cost effective choices, but your first priority should never be price when buying safety gear. Fit and function are the priorities, and in most cases you should be able ti find something withing your price range.

Disclaimer- Im not a pro nor do I claim to be. I used to race cars and when youre throwing yourself into a corner at over 100 mph with your right foot to the floor and surrounded by a steel cage that can splatter your grey matter on your winshield in an instant, you tend to want to know that your head is protected.

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 006_007
    True, no two helmets will offer the same protection, but I highly doubt you have anything documented that lists which are "better" then others.

Out of curiosity - in your professional opinion what makes one helmet that meets CPSC requirements better then another helmet that also meets? And lets pretend this is based just on xc lids (wont even get started on the FF CPSC VS DOT benefits).

Ease of good fit , construction methods , quality of materials , coverage , venting . While I can appreciate saving a buck , it never ceases to amaze me that people will drop $4000.00on a bike yet biatch about a $100.00 helmet .

mtbr member
    Ease of good fit , construction methods , quality of materials , coverage , venting . While I can appreciate saving a buck , it never ceases to amaze me that people will drop $4000.00on a bike yet biatch about a $100.00 helmet .

Never *****ed about a $100 helmet. None of my helmets (3 Giro E2, 2 Giro Remedy CF) cost under $150. Those particular helmets meet my requirements - #1 - Fit, #2 - cooling, #3 light. Once my E2s wear out I gotta go find something new on the XC side of things.

At the end of the day, I believe that as long as a helmet meets the CPSC requirements, the main things you need to search for is good fit for your budget.

A $20 CPSC helmet that fits properly will always be a better choice then a $200 helmet that does not fit right, but has cool graphics.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RacerLex
    I was in the market for helmets a couple of weeks ago and tried quite a few of them. I think the skate style helmets offer more head coverage and look less dorky when off the saddle.

I pulled the trigger on a Pro-Tec SXP helmet. Here's why:

https://www.pro-tec.net/bike/helmets_overall.html

MULI-IMPACT SXP VS EPS

Surface-activated expanded Polypropylene
    a patented multi-impact helmet technology that is ideal for the aggressive riding style of
    action sports athletes.

Rebound Properties
    When EPS helmets take a hard hit, the foam liner
    compresses and stays compressed, losing most of its impact-absorbing properties.

Because multi-impact SXP has built-in rebound control, once the helmet liner has been compressed, multi-impact SXP memory kicks in and the liner rebounds to its original shape, maintaining its impact-absorbing qualities.

What’s the secret? Memory!

Multi-impact SXP technology uses a patented Surface Activation Process to offer consumers unprecedented multiple-impact
    protection in a lightweight helmet.

Pro-tec multi-impact SXP helmets are the only lightweight, multi-impact helmets to be CPSC-approved, and deliver the
    style and fit our customers demand.

Multi-impact SXP liners can be found on our B2 and Ace helmets.
    EPS liners can be found on our Classic helmet.

Multi-Impact SXP Certified Liners
    • Patented multi-impact material that is ideal for aggressive riding style.
    • Multi-impact SXP liners have built in rebound control. Once the liners have been compressed,
    multi-impact SXP memory kicks in and the liner rebounds, maintaining its impact absorbing qualities.
    • Multi-impact SXP are the only lightweight multi impact helmets to be CE/CPSC certified and still
    deliver the style and fit that customers deserve.
    • Multi-impact SXP liners can be found in our B2 and Ace helmets

I thought the same thing you did. I also liked the look. Bought it and know Iam in the market to get a new helmet. Reasons why. Can I say pressure cooker!!! No ventilation at all. VERY HOT. Yes it fits great and is a comfy helmet but after a 20+ mile ride in 90^ heat, no thanks!! My head is over heated. Iam looking into the Fox Flux.
    1983 Ross Custom Deluxe Mtb
    2014 Giant Anthem Advanced 1 27.5
    2015 Giant TCX SLR 2

SAVE GAS RIDE A MTB BIKE

Underskilled
    edit

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Should I get a fullface helmet for when the mtb park opens in MKE, and would a 60 dollar Walmart helmet be good enough?

Underskilled
    The fit is the main thing that is important, i feel more confident in a FF so ride smoother, but if the fit is not better you will get less protection than a good fit on an openface

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MI-29er
    I thought the same thing you did. I also liked the look. Bought it and know Iam in the market to get a new helmet. Reasons why. Can I say pressure cooker!!! No ventilation at all. VERY HOT. Yes it fits great and is a comfy helmet but after a 20+ mile ride in 90^ heat, no thanks!! My head is over heated. Iam looking into the Fox Flux.
    After riding in 85* under the sun, I have to completely agree with you. There are not enough vents to keep you cool in the summer months. The Pro-Tec would make a great winter weather helmet though. Oh well, I'm following your lead and getting a Fox Flux!

Members who have read this thread: 0