$490 Sidi MTB shoes? Are they serious???- Mtbr.com
    the unvarnished nonsense

$490 Sidi MTB shoes? Are they serious???

I need some new shoes. I have a pair of Sid's now that I felt were expensive when I purchased them long, long ago. When you average the price of my current shoe over the number of years and rides I've gotten out of them, it doesn't seem unreasonable.

So, like I said, I need some new shoes now. I've been seeing that banner ad above for a few days now, and even though I'm not really a "white" guy, nor by any means fast, nor a racer, I like good footwear. I refuse to buy cheap shoes or a cheap helmet and that's my choice. So I clicked on that ad.

$490 freaking donuts??!! Are they insane?! Do those shoes perform oral sex or something? Do they realize how much beer I can buy for $490?? I'm guessing they'll be selling for half that in a few months, ala iPhones (which I don't own either, but that's another thread). $490? That's just stupid crazy.
    Last edited by davis; 07-12-2008 at 09:10 PM.
    "Sufficient to have stood, yet free to fall."
    -John Milton, Paradise Lost

mtbr member
    Agreed (but I'll bet you would have thought the same thing about the price of your current ride before you were into MTBing: "How much for a freakin' bicycle?!?!").

Maybe these will make someone feel really sexy, like Manolo Blahnik's for mountain bikers.

TLL

Apr 2008
    At half off, they would be a killer deal.

right.

Most I'm willing to spend on cycling shoes is $150 (half of what I'll spend on a pair of dress shoes). But I make do with cheap 661s or 5.10s most of the time.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    They aren't even that good looking.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I wanted really good carbon soled shoes and recently opted for the Specialized S-Works Body Geometry shoes. They are less than $300, not much more than the mid-range Sidi shoes (which cost about $220 I think). I'd take a look at them if you are looking for top of the line, lightweight, carbon soled mtb shoes. They are worth it in my opinion. I really love 'em.

(Don't give me a hard time on the Specialized stuff--other than an old helmet the shoes are the only Specialized gear I own).

pedal pusher
    Cheapest I can find them is $430. That's plain retarded.

mtbr member
    if you're going to pay that much for shoes, go for Rocket 7's

Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaineikans
    They aren't even that good looking.
    Some fool will look at the price tag and think "those are beautiful shoes, more expensive than any worn by the group, I gotta have them".

Aug 2007
    If I had a pair of those, I couldn't wear them for fear of scuffing them!

mtbr member
    I like the replaceable tread and thats it...

Apart from that...its a wallet buster. How many of those sidi fishing line strings would break over the months of hard riding...?

And yes...they look Ghey, something a roady would wear. Hey wait, im a roady - sometimes...still would not ware them though.

mtbr member
    i'd have a hard time forking out that much coin, but... i do believe that the 3 most important bike fit and ride issues are the spots where we contact the frame:

1. handlebar and grips
    2. saddle
    3. pedals and shoes.

if these shoes fit you better than any others out there and help you ride more with less pain they may be worth it. i scrimped on shoes and bought some pearl izumi juice mtb shoes and they are practically worn out in 5 months. i have had sidis that lasted 3-4 years.

lastly, part of the high price is that the dollar is near all time lows against the euro. 8 years ago they would be 150 dollars cheaper. you can thank the current administration for the weak dollar.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    no one should ever be paying 500 bucks for mountian shoes unless you're sponsored and they're given to you. im sorry. I got my dominator 5s on closeout at rei for 90 bucks. i wanted those shoes for like 4 years but wouldnt pay anywhere near retail for them. Turns out they aren't that great.
    My Stable:
    '08 Santa Cruz Nomad
    '07 Raleigh XXIX Rigid Singlespeed 29er

ride the moment
    My friend at the LBS got a pair of Sidi's a while back on a pro deal. I think they were over $400 regular. Anyway the footbed was moldable with a heater in the store so you get a custom fit. Seems pretty nice. Never say never, but right now I'm wearing $70 Answer speeders and they are pretty comfy.

Quote Originally Posted by TLL
    Most I'm willing to spend on cycling shoes is $150 (half of what I'll spend on a pair of dress shoes). But I make do with cheap 661s or 5.10s most of the time.
    Wasting money is relative. I am almost certain that I will never even consider spending $300 on dress shoes.
    Hey Butthead, are we gonna die? - Beavis

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chris_nor_cal
    no one should ever be paying 500 bucks for mountian shoes unless you're sponsored and they're given to you.............
    How is it that you are in the business of telling other people how much money they should spend? Last I checked we were all free to make our own choices.

If somebody wants them and can afford them, more power to them.
    I'm not very smart, but I can lift heavy things

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    The price seems crazy to me when they are available for almost half that over in Europe, and that is with the current extremely sucky dollar exchange rate.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I've got a pair of Sidi Dragon 2's I'm selling for $325 as I ended up with 2 pair. Black. 44. NIB.
    As my dearly departed mother used to say..."quality is economy in the long run".
    A bicycle will take you to fantastic places....if you let it.

Ibis fan since '08 now rolling on the big wheeled Ripley.

mtbr member
    Yeah but I think there is a realistic line to be drawn there though...

Quote Originally Posted by 4212darren
    I've got a pair of Sidi Dragon 2's I'm selling for $325 as I ended up with 2 pair. Black. 44. NIB.
    As my dearly departed mother used to say..."quality is economy in the long run".

Its got what plants crave
    I have a hard time believing that a 500 dollar pair of shoes could be 5 times better than a 100 dollar pair of shoes.

Wanderer
    Get the Doms instead.

I had a 6+ year old set finally wear totally out and just got another set for just $190.

Great shoes really but I wouldn't pay over $200 for any shoe.

Tough Guy Extraordinaire
    I got the Dragons, the number 1s i.e. no carbon bed, for $200 bucks from Europe. Had them in less than 10 days. I was worried about the whole deal, but everything was fine.

About the Dragons. The 'fishing line' closure rules! Not broken or even worn one in 6 months of hard riding. They also allow a glove-like fit right out of the box. The replacable treads suck! I ripped one or two of mine off almost right away. Maybe they fixed this on the 2s, but I'm not sure.

All this being said, I would pay $200 for these again in a second!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by denmikseb
    If I had a pair of those, I couldn't wear them for fear of scuffing them!

or getting them dirty. a look at them after my first ride in the mud would make me cry

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by flipnidaho
    if you're going to pay that much for shoes, go for Rocket 7's
    The custom Rocket7's are significantly more expensive at $1350 starting price (but worth it if you love biking and have seriously unusual feet).

The non-custom Rocket7's are nicely flashy and remind me of '70's disco boots; the kind with the goldfish swimming inside the clear heel. If they could reproduce the fish-inside-the-heel feature I might buy a pair.

Forging Elite Awesomeness
    Quote Originally Posted by TrekFan
    or getting them dirty. a look at them after my first ride in the mud would make me cry
    I have those shoes (in black), and I must say...they look even better with a bit of dirt on them.

ballbuster

Sure, why not?

Heck, I know people who spend $450 on lunch for themselves and a guest. Serious.

Obviously, that is not you... or me.

I'll bet they don't sell a lot of those shoes.

I gotta say, tho. I bought some SIDI Dominator 4s back in 2003 on closeout for $170. My wife thought I was nuts, but they are still going strong. Before I got those shoes, I was using up a set of $100 shoes every 2 years. I say I got my money's worth out of them. That's not to say that more money = longer life, tho.

Old man on a bike
    I was curious what a retailer''s Sidi motorcycle offerings might cost like this one http://www.newenough.com/boots/all_types/sidi/?page=1 and none of them are as high priced. Guess that's again a reflection of the potential in numbers between motorcycles and bicycles.

Funny timing seeing this thread as am in the process of moving and just came across a price tag from probably my first or second pair of Sidi Dominators - $119.00. Probably why I tossed the tag in the trivia pile was that seemingly outrageous price (at the time, figuring early 90s) as that was likely more than any but the best street shoes from Italy that I could think of buying at the time yet there I was spending that kind of cash "upgrading" my riding experience with the best shoe of the time! $490 in today's dollars is really all that much more?
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    I have their motorcycle boots and they are excellent, definitely the best out there. I am very glad I got them. With that said, I didn't fork up the money for their MTB shoes.

TLL

Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogbrain

Wasting money is relative. I am almost certain that I will never even consider spending $300 on dress shoes.
    As they last me a good 15 years with the occasional resoling, they are a bargain. And they are far more comfortable than the cheap soles that most people disgrace their feet with. Of course, YMMV.

Whatever

What about D2's

I've got a year and a half on my D2 Shoes. I was having knee issues and was going to spend $300 on orthotics... then got passed by a Chipotle/Garmin guy on the trail with these shoes. They're something like $550 or maybe more now, but I can say they are truly awesome. Go to http://www.d2customfootwear.com/ and use their Shoe Designer to make some truly bling shoes if you want. Not sure if they can do goldfish though.

Quote Originally Posted by Nat
    The custom Rocket7's are significantly more expensive at $1350 starting price (but worth it if you love biking and have seriously unusual feet).

The non-custom Rocket7's are nicely flashy and remind me of '70's disco boots; the kind with the goldfish swimming inside the clear heel. If they could reproduce the fish-inside-the-heel feature I might buy a pair.
    just ride

Oct 2005
    I try to buy bargain shoes, but of course, they never last. I threw down a whopping hundred bucks on my more recent pair of shoes, so we'll see how they last.

I'm not into disposable stuff, so if I can upgrade to SIDI, or some other brand, I might do it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Sim2u
    I like the replaceable tread and thats it...

Apart from that...its a wallet buster. How many of those sidi fishing line strings would break over the months of hard riding...?

And yes...they look Ghey, something a roady would wear. Hey wait, im a roady - sometimes...still would not ware them though.
    Those treads on the previous Dragon model would wear out in less than 6 months...crazy. They were very comfortable shoes though, but the toe protection is a little bit lacking. This time around I got some LAKE MX400 on sale at Jenson for $150 ($450 top of the line shoes) but the soles fell apart in one month, so I returned them. Now I'm riding the Specialized Pro and they seem pretty good, although not as comfy as the Sidis...but the sole has good traction and seems like it will last.

mtbr member
    I have Sidi Dom 5's and I see no need to spend that much.

mtbr member
    Ill stick to my Shimano shoes thanks...excellent toe protection with the studs - replaceable; great wear both in terms of the tread itself as well as the whole body, carbon sole with nice power transfere, replaceable ratchet buckle and great breathability with out any flashy-spanky fishing line doodads and overspanking price tags.

Had them for 4 years now of hard riding in a slew of different trail situations and they are in excellent condition with ample tread left for another 4 years if I clean and treat them right.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by davis
    $490 freaking donuts??!! Are they insane?! Do those shoes perform oral sex or something? Do they realize how much beer I can buy for $490?? I'm guessing they'll be selling for half that in a few months, ala iPhones (which I don't own either, but that's another thread). $490? That's just stupid crazy.

I bought this bike today on closeout for $449.99.

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes...chive/liquid20

Let's see, fully loaded bike or shoes? Fully loaded bike or shoes?
    "Nothing will benefit human health and increase chances of survival for life on earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet." -Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by davis
    I need some new shoes. I have a pair of Sid's now that I felt were expensive when I purchased them long, long ago. When you average the price of my current shoe over the number of years and rides I've gotten out of them, it doesn't seem unreasonable.

So, like I said, I need some new shoes now. I've been seeing that banner ad above for a few days now, and even though I'm not really a "white" guy, nor by any means fast, nor a racer, I like good footwear. I refuse to buy cheap shoes or a cheap helmet and that's my choice. So I clicked on that ad.

Heck, that is a lot of oral sex you can buy too with that kind of $$$. Not that I would know....

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by f3rg

$321.00 here, black, white or blue
    https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/...?ModelID=23908

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    if you think thats bad check out dominator 6s (same as the 5s with replaceable sole
    if you look around you can get pretty good sales , I got last years dragons for $200
    Ive had dominator 5s and they are great shoes, in fact I still have them, the only weakpoint is the hard soles, slipery. but they wear like iron, I switched to specialized , again great shoes, close to $200 and no replaceable sole, so after a year, trashed. now , with the dragons I replaced the soles for year 2 , might get 1 or 2 more years out of them. Thats riding 3-5 times a week (45-100 miles) except for dec.-april then its winter shoes
    I think the sidis last the longest of any shoes Ive tried, and they sell replacement parts

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by f3rg

The white ones sorta look like little kids shoes...

Jun 2007
    If I found a pair of shoes that fitted and were really comfortable I would pay that much.
    If you have tried 40 pairs on and none of them were "right".
    If you spent the same money on 4 or less pairs of other shoes and none of them were comfortable.
    It's quite easy to make a case for shoes like this. I know I have a hard time getting really comfortable riding shoes. At the half way point of a long ride, thats the time to be asking yourself if it's worth spending that much on shoes

mtbr member
    Yet the Shimano line near the top tear actually have form fitting to fit your form...you would still pay this...?

Oct 2005
    So who makes, and what models, shoes that last a long time and aren't throwaways. Perhaps shoes that can be resoled inexpensively and also have such things as enclosures replaced?

How much does it cost to resole SIDIs? I checked my newer Answer shoes and the soles are really beat after just a couple months of use.

Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Sim2u
    Yet the Shimano line near the top tear actually have form fitting to fit your form...you would still pay this...?
    Me? If these were more comfortable, for sure. I'm not even sure form fitting are actually any better in any way. Your feet change in size on a ride as does the position and load. Form fitting really does not do anything other than take one position and load. What about the rest? Much better to have a good comfortable shoe which stays that way than one that might be comfortable here or there but not able to cope all the way through a ride.
    Form fitting tends to be a marketing tool. IF you actually find you gain something, great.
    Buy the shoe that is most comfortable AND does what you need. If you can find it for a low price, great

mtbr member

Which model?

I have an old pair of Sidi MTB shoes that may last another year but will need replacing. I just bought a pretty high end pair of Sidi Road shoes a few months ago for around $250 so the $450 price does seem high.

For me, I can't beat the fit of a Sidi and they certainly do last a long time and are nice and light.

mtbr member

I'm amazed!

I'm amazed not at the cost of the shoe but at all the people who are p!ssing and moaning because, God Forbid, someone likes them, can afford them, and buys them.

Oh, heaven help us from all you Ralph Naders trying to save us from ourselves. Your logic would have us all riding Huffys because no one in their right mind would pay thousands of dollars for a bicycle.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Only the ones that can't afford it complain.
    Heres a quick 1.5 million dollars down the drain.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mU5W8MgtjeM
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

ride the moment
    Quote Originally Posted by TLL
    As they last me a good 15 years with the occasional resoling, they are a bargain. And they are far more comfortable than the cheap soles that most people disgrace their feet with. Of course, YMMV.

Right on man. I didn't mean that to sound like I thought the price was ridiculous, its just that I'm probably never going to wear dress shoes more than 3-4 times a year. I'd easily spend that much for any shoes I would wear daily, which includes MTB shoes. If you only wear your MTB shoes half as much as your dress shoes, then it makes perfect sense to only spend half as much money on them.

Also, I didn't mean it to be personal against you. I was just trying to point out that everyone spends they're money differently. For instance, I wonder how many people posting in this thread have a TV and DVD worth as much or more than those Sidi's?
    Hey Butthead, are we gonna die? - Beavis

mtbr member
    I think what you imagine to want simply does not exist...we do not have any "transforming" technology yet.

But you should know that you foot has evolved over millions of years to be able to be pliant enough over almost any given terrain and yet you wonder over the majority of shoes out there...?

The form fitting is not a magic technology to make it perfect for each and every riding situation that you may encounter. All it does is help support the foots possition in a more basic and general manner with great 'ARCH' support while offering a boat load of other BASIC needs that a biker wouuld want...not a mobile foot spa with intergrated massuer.

Quote Originally Posted by ash240
    Me? If these were more comfortable, for sure. I'm not even sure form fitting are actually any better in any way. Your feet change in size on a ride as does the position and load. Form fitting really does not do anything other than take one position and load. What about the rest? Much better to have a good comfortable shoe which stays that way than one that might be comfortable here or there but not able to cope all the way through a ride.
    Form fitting tends to be a marketing tool. IF you actually find you gain something, great.
    Buy the shoe that is most comfortable AND does what you need. If you can find it for a low price, great

Jul 2008
    I'm amazed that so many people are crappy internet users/internet shoppers.

http://www.coloradocyclist.com/product/item/SIDZFSUM

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I am all for buying the best but imho they are smoking the good stuff on this one...i have never seen a shoe worth that.

Duck Fonald
    I'm still hecka happy with these.

fp
    tRump is SCUM.

Hogan Lake blog. A section of Hogan Lake trails here.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte
    I'm still hecka happy with these.

fp
    Yeah those shoes have been getting some good reviews and as far as bang for the buck you would be hard pressed to find better.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    WOW...there you go, almost half price. I would smack a pare on for that price though. And its not because I cant afford the original price (as some one pages back mentioned)...I just prefer to spend my money strategically.

southerndownhill.com

Quote Originally Posted by SpecialBob
    I'm amazed that so many people are crappy internet users/internet shoppers.

http://www.coloradocyclist.com/product/item/SIDZFSUM

mtbr member
    Sidi's are worth the price, I've seen my friends shoes wear out vs. the long-lasting Sidi's.
    You can't skimp on your feet.
    Off the Beaten Path

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    lazarus anyone?

OnTheTrailAgain
    Quote Originally Posted by Moozh View Post
    lazarus anyone?

mtbr member
    Specialized, niche products brings out the derp where value is concerned, but ultimately the market wins. If people buy them, then they're worth it. From the company's view point, "worth" is just that..what people are willing to pay, and the more they pay the more profit they make. The end.

I have a pair of $55 closeout Izumis that I couldn't be happier with, but when I ride motorcycles and the speeds and potential for injury ratchet up my boots are in the $250 range. That, to me, is "worth it". Would I pay $1000 for motorcycle boots? Doubt it. We all have our line.
    "Wait, this thing doesn't have a motor?" - Socrates

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Off the Beaten Path View Post
    Sidi's are worth the price, I've seen my friends shoes wear out vs. the long-lasting Sidi's.
    You can't skimp on your feet.
    If longevity alone is what makes them worth it, they'll have to last 5 times as long as many of their competition. Do you believe that's the case? If so, I'd re-think my dismissal of them.

Four $100 pairs of shoes will last as long as a $450 Sidi's, they're still $50 overpriced and you don't get the pleasure of shiny new shoes every once and a while.
    "Wait, this thing doesn't have a motor?" - Socrates

OnTheTrailAgain
    Quote Originally Posted by swingset View Post
    If longevity alone is what makes them worth it, they'll have to last 5 times as long as many of their competition. Do you believe that's the case? If so, I'd re-think my dismissal of them.

Four $100 pairs of shoes will last as long as a $450 Sidi's, they're still $50 overpriced and you don't get the pleasure of shiny new shoes every once and a while.
    A) Sidi's top of the line shoes generally go for just under $300. (usually $280., right now, I've seen Ergo 3's going for $260. and have seen Dragons as low as $220.).

B) Even if one gets 3 pair of $100. shoes for 1 pair of Sidis, that's 3X the breaking in and having to have new shoes conform & cooperate with one's feet (losing all that comfort and having to start all over again), chances are super-low that they can get replacement parts for the lower cost shoes and features or quality of material & workmanship.

C) I think $100. buys a lot of shoe today, but $300. buys the best. Nobody would be dissatisfied with anything in between those two realms (anything under $100. for someone who rides relatively a lot is only practicing).

And finally, Sidis are not for everyone. They are the XTR/XX, Mavic, Turner, Fox, Assos of their game. Among the best of the best. A pair of $300. shoes is worth it if the rider uses them enough to justify the cost. In other words, the person who occasionally rides doesn't need the epicness of Sidis. The rider who puts in major miles would definitely benefit from them (or any other premium shoe offering).

Me? For MTBing? I can't see myself spending more than $100.-$150. on a pair of shoe than I'm going to walk in the dirt with! For road biking? I have no problem with dropping 3 and 1/2 C-Notes on them.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I bought the dragon carbon shoes about 2-3 years ago and used them for spinning 5 days a week. Really comfortable but I lost one of the rubber pads on the bottom and a few screws. Sidi was no help at all, promised to send replacement screws which never arrived, and told me to buy an entire new set of pads for $99 (which I wasn't able to find in any of my LBS). Size up 1 size. I'm typically a 45 and bought a 46.
    Were they worth the $300 or so I spent? I'd say they paid for themselves, much more comfortable than my older pair and super stiff. I'd buy them again if they had decent customer service.

And of course I googled the replacement parts now and found a set of pads for $50...
    Last edited by LVandLA; 01-29-2012 at 09:00 AM.

mtbr member
    I had a pair of Sidi Tecnos, (I think these where the first shoes that Sidi gave that fishing line closure), bought back in -99. I had those shoes for close to ten years, initially a bit snug around my toes but they eventually stretched and became a part of me. I had a heart to heart with myself and finally decided to throw them away since they where so beat up and a few seams had worked loose. I have had a few other brands during that time but nothing fit as well as my Sidis, either Tecnos, Genius 2s, Dominator 4s or Genius 5s.
    They are worth it.

Pro tip: Sidis are meant to be bought in black. That is as timeless and elegant as a black or silver CK headset.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Riding My Sidi Dragon 2 Carbons for a few years now. Good as New, if not better!
    I have a brace on one leg so I tend to kill just about anything I have ever had.
    Two brands come to mind that I still have:
    Sidi for biking,
    Prada dress boots,
    and some custom made stuff (dress). I think when new they ran about 300 euros, but over the KM's tracking they are less than 1cent. So if you look at it that way they are pretty cheap. For me the fit is also the best.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I'll jump in on the old thread dredge..

Certain brands seem to fit certain people better. Pearl Izumi shoes hurt my feet and knees. Specialized are the best for me. Giros are way comfortable, but I have no real ride time in them.

On the road, shoes are more noticeable. I would consider the Sidi because they have direct Speedplay mounts. They would have to fit wonderful.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Ziscwg: you have the most important point (how they fit!).
    Sidi's are tight and at first if you are into sloppy clothes may not appeal to you, that is if they actual fit. However any brand has to fit first and foremost.

Members who have read this thread: 0