Youth 20" fat bike- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2015

Youth 20" fat bike

Hello,

So this year my boys got new 12" and 16" bikes for their birthdays. They wanted me to come riding in the culdesac. I didn't own a bike, so down to canadian tire we went. My oldest came with me, and he picked out a dolomite. Said it was like a monster truck. Anyway, he has been on me to buy him one. They had a mongoose Tex (20" 7 speed, fat tire) but he wasn't ready, it was too tall by a bit, and they wanted $300+ tax. Hardly worth it.

Anyway, I'm on the hunt for a 20" fat tire for him for the spring. Figured get it in the winter, and do some work on it.

I noticed the 20" mongoose Kong. Lighter, drilled rims etc. Looks decent. I'm not expecting awesome with a kids fat bike. But we ride a paved path, and he needs a 7 speed or better. His single speed gives him issues on the one hill.

Any other 7 speeds to look at? Also looking for available in Canada. I'm willing to spend a bit of money on a nicer bike (as I have 3 boys, and a girl coming soon), but I don't see me spending the $1400 they are asking for the specialized at my LBS.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

20" Mongoose Kong

My son started on a skinny tire bmx walmart bike and had difficulty with loose gravel and sandy spots at 5-7.... Our trails are mostly paved and move to hard packed lime. So basically I decided to grab the Kong and he instantly loved it. Floats over everything, and bumps are no problem. Great! now the flaws of the bike, the grip shift is impossible for the little ones to move from gear to gear. At least ours was and my son grew out of it in 3 years. So if you decide to go this route, see if you can find a solution for switching gears, maybe an upgrade. The price is right though on how fast he grew out of it, and if you have a few siblings that want it as a hand me down even better.

So my current issue is finding the next fat bike...they only go up exponentially from here...

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    While not quite a fat bike my son has a commencal ramones 20+ bike.Itís got decent components and is pretty light for kids plus bike. We swapped out the mechanical discs for hydraulics and the grip shifter for a trigger shifter. Weight is a big factor on kids bikes and the heavy steel fat tire bikes seem to wear kids out super fast and take away from their skill development. Check out the family riding section here for a ton of info on 20Ē bikes

https://www.commencalcanada.com/Mobi...ed-c2x28669755